“Loved our time at the Four Seasons Hualalai”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved our time at the Four Seasons Hualalai”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

To echo almost all of the other reviews on here about the Four Seasons Hualalai, we absolutely loved our stay at the resort. It is a beautiful property in a good location for exploring the island, or just relaxing by the pool. We stayed five nights and didn't want to leave.
Highlights for us included the awesome workout facility (with open-air rooms to enjoy the sunshine and ocean breeze), breakfasts at the coffee shop near the tennis courts, relaxing at the quiet pool, snorkeling in Kings Pond (yes, it's manmade, but the fish in there are beautiful and it got us ready for our snorkeling trip later in the week), walking along the beach boardwalk, and dinners at both Beach Tree (where they had a great live band playing) and Ulu.
Everyone on the staff we interacted with was friendly and helpful.
It's a splurge, but totally worth it.
If/when we return to the Big Island, we will definitely plan to stay again at this resort.

1 Thank ShanaMac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Davis, CA
Reviewed November 16, 2012

From the moment you arrive at the resort you are made to feel welcomed. Everyone addresses you by name and everyone is extremely friendly and accommodating. Service is excellent. Just about every room has a view of the ocean and rooms are comfortable with a Balconies or patio. Housekeeping was great and you always had fresh towels. Very quiet and peaceful. Grounds are beautiful. Food is great especially at Ulu and the breakfast buffet couldn't be better. Sunsets are fantastic! Pools are beautiful and always enough chairs and lounges. it never appears to be crowded. Service for drinks and food are excellent. You can even rent a day bed by the pool and be treated like a king.

I was invited to dinner and volunteered to cook dinner but the half the folks at the dinner were vegetarians but shopping for food is not the best the area. The concierge had Nick the top chef at the resort call me to give me recommendations. He was very helpful as I was very frustrated by the quality at the stores, I can't thank him enough.

Highly recommend the spa. Top notch folks and very friendly. Beautiful surroundings for the spa.

The only bad is that some of the furniture needed to be redone as in some spots there were stains which did not sit well with me. This was mostly lawn furniture.

I do not recommend the hawaiian drinks here as they I not always use fresh fruit in all their drinks. However, they use good liqueur and a lot. Wine pours are generous. Overall I think this is a great place but a slight notch down compared to other Four Season only due to some of the dirty furniture.

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet stay were no kids are allowed. Very quiet! Adult only pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed November 16, 2012

i spent considerable time looking for that perfect spot for our honeymoon. many times when you create high expectations, the reality falls short of them. we were not only thrilled with our week at this four seasons resort, but cant wait to go back. it is a special place and no one does it any better than the four seasons. service, amenities, vistas, dining. all were superb. if you are looking for a top rated resort that pampers you in luxury and provides a private retreat for recharging your batteries, this should be on your short list. mahalo four seasons for another job well done.

Room Tip: the north corner by kings pond is the quietest if you are looking for a more adult vacation
Kailua
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Before leaving on vacation, I had emailed Four Seasons to let them know that their spa website was outdated, some of the treatments I tried to book were no longer available. I was surprised as I think it must have been that way for a few months. I did call the spa to book an appointment, so at least I was able to do that. To their credit, as we were checking in to the resort, their concierge approached us and thanked me for my feedback. I am always amazed at how gracious they are even when receiving criticism.
The room was lovely as usual, and the kids were so excited to see THEIR welcome treats, which filled the bed, table, and bathroom with little touches just for them. It really sets the tone of welcoming the whole family. Some people we were traveling with remarked that the bed was the most comfortable they've slept in. Unfortunately for me and my hubby, our 3 year old in our bed probably kept us from saying the same thing. Haha!
Pool amenities are so impressive. First off, they ALWAYS greet you and set-up your area, which includes the chaise lounge covers, towels, and ice water, which they constantly refill so no one gets dehydrated. They even have swim diapers, sunscreen, and reading material available. It doesn't stop there. They also have times that they bring out fruit kebabs, ice cream, otter pops (sorry, don't know the generic name for these), and do sunglasses cleaning. They do have food and drink service starting from 11:00 a.m. Because I was there with 2 kids, we did some pool hopping, and got to experience the kids pool (sandy bottom, zero-entry, shallow pool with sprayers) which is perfect for toddlers and mommies who don't want to be IN the pool. The pool next to it is pretty with the waterfall, infinity edge, and adjacent hot tub. There's even a little nook on the oceanside of this pool that looks like a little grass shack. It's shallow enough to lie down in, or for the kids to sit up and play in. It looks to be big enough for 2 adults, but there is only 1 of these. And of course we made our way over to the King's Pond which is not to be missed. Snorkels and fins are available (no charge), and they have body boards with viewer holes, which was so helpful for little ones who can't quite swim yet but want to see fish. Even if you don't go in the water, you can still see the eagle ray and other fish swimming around. They do have scheduled eagle ray feeding and touch tank experiences too. We didn't go to the other 2 pools.
Enjoyed the breakfast buffet which gets switched up a little every morning. Food at the wedding reception we attended at the Residents' Beach Club was amazing. Huge spread and all of it quality stuff.
So what about the spa? Beautiful. I went early to relax before my 9:00 a.m. appointment and it was so quiet and peaceful, I imagined that it was my own private retreat. I do prefer the outdoor showers at Mauna Lani Spa, but I did love my green tea water cure and wrap treatment! To say I was scrubbed, soaked in a tub, massaged, and wrapped does not do it justice. The cedar tub is big enough for 2, as they do couples treatments. And I normally wouldn't do just a bath soak for a spa treatment (I can soak in my bathtub at home, but I cant massage my own back reasoning), but since it included the scrub and massage I thought why not? It was so relaxing and my skin was so soft afterwards, I think it was worth every second and every penny.
With so much offered at this resort, my advice is to take a look at the daily schedule to see what they have while you are there. Schedules are in your guest room and I've also seen copies at the pool kiosks.
And sure it's a beautiful location (those sunsets are captivating), but really ALL the staff make this resort stand out. You are taken care of the moment you arrive. And although it's a pretty penny to partake in this experience, what you receive in return can be a great value, if you take advantage of their included offerings (e.g. kids program, cultural center activities, pool amenities).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jitterbugdance
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2012

FOUR SEASONS Absolutely knocks it outta the park again !!!
Just had lunch at the Beach Tree, Outstanding food and service, they seem to start where all others peter out. They Just always take it to a higher level. Expensive lunch and worth every penny !!!

DELICIOUS !!!!!

Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 14, 2012

this place just could be one of the most beauitful places on earth! its quiet,the pools are refreshing,the saunas with the views,the tennis courts are top notch,and the spas are like heaven...hopefully!! the food is simply delicious...i love breakfast,between the sticky buns with macadamion nuts,and all the exotic fruits...and the kona coffee,and the fact that you are eating overlooking the beach..it doesnt get any better than that unless your sharing it with someone your madly in love with..like i did with my wife of 39 years.i thought i would never go because of the 12 hour plane ride,now i cant wait to go again.....you will love this resort,and most important the people that take care of you are wonderfull!!

3 Thank jackbertolet
Rosemount, Minnesota
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is one of the best resorts you will ever stay in. We have stayed in a number of the top resorts in the US and this is the best. Our room number even matched the number on the license plate of the car rental they set up for us. Very quiet and laid back for those who want peace. Plus lots to do if you don't.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view. Seems like there is not a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!