“"Garden of Eden"”

GreenLeadersGold level
Melbourne, Australia
“"Garden of Eden"”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Allow me to set the scene: Hubby and I are in our early 30's, we have 3 young children (whom we left at home with Grandma), we have never travelled outside of our home country Australia before and we are celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. The last time we had any more than 2 consecutive nights alone together was 10 years ago on our honeymoon. All this being said we had HIGH hopes and HIGH expectations of our Hawaiian trip. FS Hualalai, exceeded my wildest dreams - which can be difficult at best to meet.

Upon arriving at Kona airport, the FS hospitality is immediate as we noticed our chauffeur holding a FS sign and a smile for us. He promptly retrieves our luggage and ushers us to our cool, luxury sedan (organised by concierge). After about 20 hours of airports and three plane trips later we arrived at Hualalai. Sleep deprived and hungry, the anticipation of this resort mounts as we zoom past the scarred volcanic landscape of the Big Island, along the extended road that begins to glimmer with green as we draw closer to our destination. The serenity is instantly calming,and the friendliness of all staff notably genuine.

Before we can blink we are escorted so swiftly up a flight of stairs into a grand lobby, I remember distinctly ooohing and gushing as ocean breezes waft through the expansive windows and the heady scent of a plumeria lei is draped around my neck. My husband receives the customary nut lei for males. The beauty is simply breathtaking! Mai Tais await, as does cool face cloths - check in is completed promptly on comfortable couches. Amazingly, as we arrived 2 staff members were standing in the centre of the lobby awaiting our arrival. It is as if one is royalty!

To save you the verbose praises of the most amazing 3 days spent here, I will complete this review with a few of the following highlights:
The food at Beach Tree was outstanding! As the main signature restaurant was undergoing renovations we dined for breakfast lunch and dinner on all 3 days at the Beach Tree. Regardless of what we ordered it was consistently amazing! The marscapone Pizza in particular I still dream about and ordered twice - a must try! Also, the Linohau full body spa experience takes you to another place - 120 minutes of pure bliss! And worth every expensive penny!
(Just as a side note, we are not wealthy at all, but simply a couple who appreciate quality, beauty and exceptional service. It is our experience in life to get these things one has to be prepared to spend the money for it, so if those are things that are also important to you, then you will find this to be a enriching experience, that will not disappoint).

A special thank you to Katie at the spa, Jason at beach tree pool side who appeared out of no where often offering to take photos of us, Barry who showed us to our room and Ryan at front desk reception who was so professional and patient (as I struggled to understand the gratuity system, as in Australia tipping does not exist as a part of our culture). Also to Jenna at Beach Tree Restaurant, who was genuinely friendly and warm - when I think of FS i will always think of you guys, as you are now synonymous with the Four Seasons service.

If you are keen to stay at this resort but concerned about the $$$ outlay, my advice to you is turn that part of your brain off. Throw caution to the wind and just BOOK IT! It is the splurge of a lifetime that you will talk about for years to come. It is a "Garden of Eden", the closest thing I could imagine to paradise on earth, with service to match. We plan to return with our children in 2 years - in the meantime we are madly saving. Once was just not enough!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JewllzM
Florian R, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you so much for your amazing feedback. We are so pleased that you had such an enjoyable time here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (By the way - I totally agree with you that mascarpone pizza at Beach Tree is something else !)

We will most certainly share all your comments with the entire team and on behalf of everybody here, thank you so much for taking time to write about your experience. We certainly appreciate your glowing words of praise about our service and property.

Mahalo, Mahalo and we look forward to your next stay !

Florian Riedel
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dallas
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I would give this hotel and its staff 6 stars if I could. We stayed here for 7 nights for our honeymoon and everything was flawless. Of all the places we have visited, we would love to come back here and just relax.

The grounds, rooms, staff, food - couldn't ask for more.

We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haroon S
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We spent five days of our honeymoon at this facility. We can't say enough good things about the staff, the facility, the service and the food. It was spectacular! The staff seemed to anticipate a need before we could even vocalize it. Eg. I left my sunglasses in the room. Came back to find a eyeglass cleaning cloth beside them. Who knew??
Everything from the first greeting to goodbye was memorable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkr232
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed October 22, 2012

According to my travel research this is arguably the best resort in Hawaii, and from what I saw I would wholeheartedly say it is number one. Here's why:
Grounds: it is an oasis in the lava fields north of the airport. Lush green landscaping everywhere, the several amazing pools (the snorkeling one, the tranquility one with swim-up bar, the adults-only one with tented cabanas, the family one, the one carved out of the beach, the lap one at the spa), the walk along the coast, the golf courses ...
Service: staff learns your name, service is top notch all around, friendly and always willing to help. I wish check in could be so relaxing at all hotels (cooled towel, mai tai, ...)
Food: all very good -- buffet breakfast (currently at the Beech Tree restaurant), poolside service for lunch (though expensive -- this is the 4S after all), Beech Tree for dinner and Hualalai Grille for dinner. I enjoyed both -- Grille was more sedate and relaxed, but the view at the Beech Tree was incomparable - plus there was a nice local trio playing Hawaiian music the night we ate there.
Room: we visited twice during our vacation, and enjoyed both our rooms. The first was a second floor room overlooking the sea shell (family) pool and the ocean beyond. Awesome view, relaxing deck. Although we weren't traveling with kids this would be a great place to take them. (While there were many kids at the resort, there is a lot of space and they didn't impinge on our adult vacation either). OUr second visit was a first floor room tucked behind the beech tree restaurant, with a beautiful view of a little garden and the top of the lighted beech tree itself at night. The benefit of first floor rooms is an awesome lava-rock outdoor shower. I loved the louvered doors that, if opened, automatically cut off the a/c so you could enjoy the ocean breeze, which year-round is about 85 degrees. My wife now wants a 4S bed at home.
If you're looking for understated luxury & pampering and can afford it, go. THe only caveat - while there are beautiful places to sit on the beach, it is not an expansive sandy beach so if that is what you're into I suggest looking elsewhere. (There is some beach - but there are also rocks offshore so not the best for ocean swimming, except in the ocean pool). Really the best resort I have stayed at, and can't say more than that.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nats-md
Sydney
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were lucky enough to visit Kona for the Iron Man World Championships in October. We spent 7 days at the resort and it was the best vacation that I have had for ages. If it weren't for attending the race, I wouldn't have left the resort once. We loved the health facilities - the scale, options, training classes and service. The food was fantastic and the rooms extremely comfortable. Absolutely loved the laundry facilities. Next time I would take half my luggage. I recently reviewed Lizard Island which was twice the price and a quarter the value. I suggest the owners send their GM to The Four Seasons to checkout a Five Star Island Resort. To the management and Staff - thanks for an awesome vacation!! I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ozijoe
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

This really is as good as the reviews suggest. We stayed for 6 nights and could have stayed another 6. Yes it's expensive but you get what you pay for. Totally relaxing but also so much you can do on the island. Beaches, rainforest, cattle country and the volcano.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank VWSydney
Phoenix
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We just stayed here for a short honeymoon. The place is awesome. Staff is very friendly, grounds are beautiful, rooms a really nice and the food was great. Its definitely worth the splurge. We are both experienced guests of high end resorts and our expectations were exceeded. The one tip I would suggest is try to avoid staying during a large convention. Big groups have a tendency to overtake the pools, the spa, and such. Trying not to sound like a snob, but because the conventioneers aren't really paying for their rooms, the caliber of the guests can be a bit "distracting".

Room Tip: If you are a couple suggest you ask for a room around the adult pool.