Allow me to set the scene: Hubby and I are in our early 30's, we have 3 young children (whom we left at home with Grandma), we have never travelled outside of our home country Australia before and we are celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. The last time we had any more than 2 consecutive nights alone together was 10 years ago on our honeymoon. All this being said we had HIGH hopes and HIGH expectations of our Hawaiian trip. FS Hualalai, exceeded my wildest dreams - which can be difficult at best to meet.
Upon arriving at Kona airport, the FS hospitality is immediate as we noticed our chauffeur holding a FS sign and a smile for us. He promptly retrieves our luggage and ushers us to our cool, luxury sedan (organised by concierge). After about 20 hours of airports and three plane trips later we arrived at Hualalai. Sleep deprived and hungry, the anticipation of this resort mounts as we zoom past the scarred volcanic landscape of the Big Island, along the extended road that begins to glimmer with green as we draw closer to our destination. The serenity is instantly calming,and the friendliness of all staff notably genuine.
Before we can blink we are escorted so swiftly up a flight of stairs into a grand lobby, I remember distinctly ooohing and gushing as ocean breezes waft through the expansive windows and the heady scent of a plumeria lei is draped around my neck. My husband receives the customary nut lei for males. The beauty is simply breathtaking! Mai Tais await, as does cool face cloths - check in is completed promptly on comfortable couches. Amazingly, as we arrived 2 staff members were standing in the centre of the lobby awaiting our arrival. It is as if one is royalty!
To save you the verbose praises of the most amazing 3 days spent here, I will complete this review with a few of the following highlights:
The food at Beach Tree was outstanding! As the main signature restaurant was undergoing renovations we dined for breakfast lunch and dinner on all 3 days at the Beach Tree. Regardless of what we ordered it was consistently amazing! The marscapone Pizza in particular I still dream about and ordered twice - a must try! Also, the Linohau full body spa experience takes you to another place - 120 minutes of pure bliss! And worth every expensive penny!
(Just as a side note, we are not wealthy at all, but simply a couple who appreciate quality, beauty and exceptional service. It is our experience in life to get these things one has to be prepared to spend the money for it, so if those are things that are also important to you, then you will find this to be a enriching experience, that will not disappoint).
A special thank you to Katie at the spa, Jason at beach tree pool side who appeared out of no where often offering to take photos of us, Barry who showed us to our room and Ryan at front desk reception who was so professional and patient (as I struggled to understand the gratuity system, as in Australia tipping does not exist as a part of our culture). Also to Jenna at Beach Tree Restaurant, who was genuinely friendly and warm - when I think of FS i will always think of you guys, as you are now synonymous with the Four Seasons service.
If you are keen to stay at this resort but concerned about the $$$ outlay, my advice to you is turn that part of your brain off. Throw caution to the wind and just BOOK IT! It is the splurge of a lifetime that you will talk about for years to come. It is a "Garden of Eden", the closest thing I could imagine to paradise on earth, with service to match. We plan to return with our children in 2 years - in the meantime we are madly saving. Once was just not enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resting on the picturesque Kona-Kohala coast of Hawaii Island, the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai combines the warm aloha of the Islands with the impeccable signature service recognized by Four Seasons guests worldwide. With 243 guest rooms, an award-winning golf course, and seven pools, Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is the only Forbes Five Star and AAA Five Diamond Rated Resort in Hawaii. The Resort offers five dining options, including 'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge, the only Forbes star-rated restaurant on the Island. Chefs in each dining outlet work with ingredients from over 160 local farms, and 75% of the food served is from Hawaii Island. The comfortable and spacious accommodations at the Resort are housed in intimate two-story bungalows arranged in small crescents along the beachfront and golf course. Additional features include an Ocean Adventures team, seven tennis courts, a spa with 14 treatment rooms and salon services, and a Cultural Center with classes and activities highlighting Hawaiian culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Travelocity, Prestigia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Hualalai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu Hotel Kailua-Kona
- 4 Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu
- Four Seasons Kailua-Kona
- Kailua-Kona Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Hawaii
- Four Seasons Hualalai
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai Hawaii/Kailua-Kona