“the best of the best”

GreenLeadersGold level
gainesville, Florida
“the best of the best”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Trust us, we've been around the world - stayed at all top hotels of the world... and this is it, the best! If we had to pick one place to visit the rest of our lives - again, this is it. Fabulous from start to finish, top to bottom. The rooms just beautiful and the decor perfect. All lower level rooms have the outdoor lava shower - do not miss this! The view of the sunsets just as beautiful at ground level - the lava shower - fabulous! The spa is so fabulous that each morning you will be dying to get out of bed to go workout. All machines in huts with all the windows retracted - simply wonderful. Massages are given in outdoor thatched huts - so great. The lomi-lomi is a neat massage and fitting to have one while staying in Hawaii. Walk right next door to the Hualalai Coffee Co and grab a special smoothie... so good. Pahuia's breakfast bufet fabulous as well - but the smoothie is just as good to start your day. Beachtree pool is lovely, what a view. Enjoy a drink in the afternoon at the pool too. Don't miss the sunsets before heading off to dinner. All resaurants are fabulous, The Grill, Pahuai, and don't miss getting sushi one night at Lava Lounge - it's super. You must do the Surf and Stars dinner on the beach on Wednesday or Saturday nights - just an incredible spread of food. Everywhere you look is beautiful, the staff just fabulous.
Trust us - this is it.

• Liked — everything from check in to check out
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank dmulls36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Napa
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I had an amazing time here with my girlfriend. We stayed 2 nights at another property on the Big Island first and the transition was perfect. At arrival we were greeted with guava juice and scented, chilled towels. The room was incredible, the spa was relaxing and the staff was the warmest and most educated we experienced on the island.

I especially enjoyed the King's Pond snorkel area. I love to skin and scuba dive but my girlfriend has had a bit of phobia about the open ocean. This was a great way to break her in to the concept. She loved it. I don't have kids yet but I imagine this would be a great way for them to learn about the ocean. They have the large pond stocked with 17 type of tropical fish and 5 Eagle Rays.

The Hualalai Grille is far and away the best restaurant on property. We ate their twice and loved it.

I also recommend the early power walk. It was very nice and got the blood moving to start the day.

Stayed February 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 13, 2008

We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary at the Four Seasons Hualalai and really wanted to do something special. From the time I began booking the trip it was a great experience. The reservations desk connected me with one of the concierges, Shandy. She was fantastic and helped me book some great surprises from my wife. She also took a personal interest and helped connect me with a local Ukulele maker who makes beautiful koa ukes.

Shandy passed me over to Kalai who does the dining reservations at the resort and she set up a couple fantastic dinners on the beach and some great in room dining that was simply perfect. The food was from Pahuia and was perfecly prepared and served by our private server, Leslie, who was really fun and made the dinners on the beach really special. When we got back to our room, Kalai had a photograph of us from our dinner on the beach waiting on our bed along with a Ukulele song book she had grown up with and recommended. She went way out of her way to make us feel very welcome and it worked.

The spa was also top notch. I had a couple of massages and my wife had a facial and a mani/pedi at the salon. Incredibly relaxing experience that makes you just want to spend a week in the spa alone!

The golf course was also fun to play with a beautiful layout that stretches through lava fields and bazillion dollar homes. It had generous fairways that feed the ball perfectly and contribute to the relaxed and welcoming pace of the entire resort. Not a terribly challening course, but then again, you are there to relax!

The pools were just what the doctor ordered. We spent our time at the Beach Tree pool which was very quiet and carried the same attention to detail and comfort the rest of the resort has. When we got to the pool the first day, they wished us a happy anniversary and brought us drinks as we sat down. That is service! What is really great is how low key the pool (and entire resort for that matter) really was. They pool staff is incredibly attentive. We had a few rain bursts and they would run over and help us move to a cabana to bring us drinks and then move us back to chairs when the sprinkle passed.

The room was like home. We booked a one bedroom executive suite and initially had one that overlooked the kings pond. When we arrived in the room, there was Champagne, fruit, candies, and snacks all laid out with a note wishing us a happy anniversary. Our room (711) faced west-northwest and really didn't have a sunset view. Since we really wanted to see the sunset from our room, I called the front desk the first night to see what they could arrange. The next day, they moved us to room 1911 which overlooks the Beach Tree pool. In typical Four Seasons fashion we did not have to lift a finger. They gathered our belongings and moved them to the new room while we were at the pool and then gave me a call on my mobile phone to let us know to stop by the front desk to pick up our new keys.

We spent 10 days at the resort and ventured off of the property for a couple dinners and lunches and each time couldn't wait to get back to the resort. The people, the pace, the beauty, the food, the spa, the pools, etc., etc., etc. Unsurpassed. It is no wonder this has been rated as the best resort in Hawaii. We will be back and reccomend it highly.

Thanks to Kalai, Shandy, Leslie, and Danette for making it perfect!

• Liked — Amazing service and grounds
  • Disliked — Paying the HUGE bill!! Not a complaint. It is really quite worth the extra coin!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank FizzleNet
bermuda
Reviewed January 24, 2008

Amazing hotel. Fantastic location. Friendly professional staff. incredible spa. Lovely food.

the pools were great - a kids pool and a quiet pool. Incredible service - we hope to be back.

Stayed January 2008
3 Thank bermudatrinagle
Chicago
Reviewed January 13, 2008

We stayed here for our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier. The grounds were amazing. The service was outstanding. The rooms were great (make sure you get a room on the first floor to get the private outdoor shower). There are several pools and restaurants and plenty to do. If you rent a car you can go into town and walk around or eat dinner, but the food at the hotel couldn't be beat. If you like lobster, they do a buffet on the beach and they served grilled lobster tails. I must of had 6 of them (they were smaller).

We went back and forth deciding whether we would stay here or the Fairmont because the Four Seasons was much more expensive and I have say this hotel was worth every penny. We barely left the resort, which was rare for us, and had the best times of our lives.

• Liked — Amazing resort, great rooms, great food, and lots to do!
  • Disliked — The rooms are expensive, but that wouldn't stop me from going back again.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChicagoTravellerr
LONDON
Reviewed January 6, 2008

I travelled from London to this property with my family with high expectations. The rooms are a huge let down, compared to other Four Seasons resorts we have stayed at. They are very average. The beach is not as fabulous as I thought it would be. However, the spa is amazing and the range of activities on offer for all age groups is outstanding! The pools are beautiful. Xmas time is crazy at this hotel--mostly regulars--very much a social scene.

Stayed December 2006
3 Thank SARA32
Illinois
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My husband and I celebrated our 19th anniversary at the FS Hualalai in October 2007. We have been there before, in 2004 and 2005, and each trip has a special place in my heart. This past trip, however, was extra special. It wasn't the room or the location, although both of those are beyond compare. This trip was special because of the staff.

I have an extreme food allergy to soy and peanuts, and even a miniscule amount has given me anaphylactic reactions. Reactions happen not just from the ingredient being in my food--I've had reactions traced to the utensils or pans being used for foods with the allergen, and then used to prepare mine. This makes it extremely difficult to eat out at home, let alone on vacation. Peanuts aren't too difficult to stay away from, as most people are aware of peanut allergies. But soy...that's a hard one. Take this challenge: go to your cupboard or your fridge and pull out anything, bread, crackers, cereal, cookies, junk food, salad dressing--anything--- and take a look at the ingredients. You probably will find soy listed.

I hate to bring up my allergy, especially to people I don't know. But sometimes, as in eating out, there is no choice. I can't eat something when I don't know the ingredients - so, I e-mailed the hotel in advance of my stay to let them know about my allergy. By the time we arrived at the Beach Tree restaurant for our first meal, the staff had already been informed. The restaurant manager and the chef came to our table and introduced themselves. The chef asked what we wanted, and then personally prepared it and brought it to our table, after making sure that all utensils and pans were washed before my food was made. And then that same thing happened at every meal thereafter. It's hard to explain how unusual that is. At most restaurants, after I give my "chef card" to the waiter (a printed card that explains my allergy), the waiter usually talks to the kitchen staff, and then comes back and tells me everything I can't have, which is usually almost everything on the menu. I have ended up with lettuce and salt & pepper more times that I care to remember. This is the first time EVER that a chef asked me what I was hungry for, then made suggestions for necessary changes, and then brought me an amazing meal.

That's service.

Stayed October 2007
7 Thank jbillin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!