“Best Hotel in Hawaii”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 13, 2008

We stayed here for our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier. The grounds were amazing. The service was outstanding. The rooms were great (make sure you get a room on the first floor to get the private outdoor shower). There are several pools and restaurants and plenty to do. If you rent a car you can go into town and walk around or eat dinner, but the food at the hotel couldn't be beat. If you like lobster, they do a buffet on the beach and they served grilled lobster tails. I must of had 6 of them (they were smaller).

We went back and forth deciding whether we would stay here or the Fairmont because the Four Seasons was much more expensive and I have say this hotel was worth every penny. We barely left the resort, which was rare for us, and had the best times of our lives.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ChicagoTravellerr
Write a ReviewReviews (2,954)

Reviewed January 6, 2008

I travelled from London to this property with my family with high expectations. The rooms are a huge let down, compared to other Four Seasons resorts we have stayed at. They are very average. The beach is not as fabulous as I thought it would be. However, the spa is amazing and the range of activities on offer for all age groups is outstanding! The pools are beautiful. Xmas time is crazy at this hotel--mostly regulars--very much a social scene.

Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank SARA32
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My husband and I celebrated our 19th anniversary at the FS Hualalai in October 2007. We have been there before, in 2004 and 2005, and each trip has a special place in my heart. This past trip, however, was extra special. It wasn't the room or the location, although both of those are beyond compare. This trip was special because of the staff.

I have an extreme food allergy to soy and peanuts, and even a miniscule amount has given me anaphylactic reactions. Reactions happen not just from the ingredient being in my food--I've had reactions traced to the utensils or pans being used for foods with the allergen, and then used to prepare mine. This makes it extremely difficult to eat out at home, let alone on vacation. Peanuts aren't too difficult to stay away from, as most people are aware of peanut allergies. But soy...that's a hard one. Take this challenge: go to your cupboard or your fridge and pull out anything, bread, crackers, cereal, cookies, junk food, salad dressing--anything--- and take a look at the ingredients. You probably will find soy listed.

I hate to bring up my allergy, especially to people I don't know. But sometimes, as in eating out, there is no choice. I can't eat something when I don't know the ingredients - so, I e-mailed the hotel in advance of my stay to let them know about my allergy. By the time we arrived at the Beach Tree restaurant for our first meal, the staff had already been informed. The restaurant manager and the chef came to our table and introduced themselves. The chef asked what we wanted, and then personally prepared it and brought it to our table, after making sure that all utensils and pans were washed before my food was made. And then that same thing happened at every meal thereafter. It's hard to explain how unusual that is. At most restaurants, after I give my "chef card" to the waiter (a printed card that explains my allergy), the waiter usually talks to the kitchen staff, and then comes back and tells me everything I can't have, which is usually almost everything on the menu. I have ended up with lettuce and salt & pepper more times that I care to remember. This is the first time EVER that a chef asked me what I was hungry for, then made suggestions for necessary changes, and then brought me an amazing meal.

That's service.

Stayed: October 2007
7  Thank jbillin
Reviewed December 30, 2007

We did not stay at this hotel but rather enjoyed Christmas dinner there. We called the day before and requested reservations for the Haulalai Grille by Alan Wong and were told that since we were not staying guests we would have to call back the next day at 8:00 am. That is just what we did and got a 5:30 pm dinner reservation. The drive out to the Hotel takes about 20 minutes depending on the time of day. The site is well secured and they checked our reservation at the gate before we could enter. The lounge connected to the dining room was all open air and just lovely. As we were seated a young hawaiian man traveled the trails on the complex and blew his conch horn while lighting the tiki torches. My daughter and I ordered the dinner sampler which was priced at $70.00 pp along with the wines it came to $100.00 pp. Although this might seem high to some being Christmas we went for it. That was the best meal I have ever had and it was so much fun to try the 7 courses with the wines. I will always remember this time and would suggest trying the dinner sampler to anyone. Each presentation was outstanding and we made yummy sounds the whole meal.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dinestein
Reviewed December 28, 2007

Probably the nicest hotel we stayed at during our Hawaiian vacation. The spaced out accomodation blocks and landscaping hides the scale of the hotel which was a big plus as a boutique hotel fan. Food was of a good standard. Outdoor rock shower a nice touch.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Topcat212
Reviewed October 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days before heading to the Four Seasons Maui (see my other review). We stayed here primarily to satisfy my curiosity about this hotel, and I wasn't disappointed. I have nothing but nice things to say about the place, but ultimately, I think it boils down to this:

If you live on the West Coast, you really ought to come here. If you live on the East Coast, you might be able to get the same experience in the Caribbean, which is a much shorter trip. I'll try to explain below.

The resort is amazing. Well-manicured, well-designed, and you instantly feel special once you arrive. The rooms are spread out in 2-level buildings. To me, it had the feel of some of the nice Caribbean resorts (Peter Island, Little Dix, etc.) in this regard. It is nothing like the Four Seasons Maui in terms of layout. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for as far as which one is better.

The rooms are incredible. Ours had a nice ocean view and also had the outdoor shower. We loved the outdoor shower, which was very private. Ironically, the more expensive rooms do not have them -- that's because they have the upper level view, and the outdoor showers are all on the bottom level. The rooms have beautiful, large bathrooms. The furniture feels very Hawaiian and everything was clean and seemed new.

We spent most of our time by the Beachtree pool. The main pool, Seashell, was closed for renovation. Let me pause to say one thing here: the hotel did a wonderful job of disguising the work that was being done. Not only had they constructed a fence around the worksite, but the fence was bamboo, so it almost blended in! This isn't by accident. This is what you get with the Four Seasons. Anyway, I would love to see what the pool looks like when it's done, because it looks really nice and sits behind the best spot of beach at the resort (more on the beach below). The Beachtree is typically a quiet pool, but they were allowing children a little more leeway while we were there due to the construction. We had no problem getting chairs, even though an entire pool area was closed.

The King's Pond was nice, and a great way to snorkel in an contained environment. The adult pool on the Palm Grove crescent was small but nice and very secluded. One suggestion for the Four Seasons: Provide a few more umbrellas here. There were plenty of chairs by this pool, but only one had an umbrella, and the same woman put her bag on it every morning by 7am, which I thought was a little tacky. She'd put her stuff down, then take a long walk, and then maybe return 2 hours later. Fortunately for us, we preferred the Beachtree pool, where this sort of thing is generally prevented.

Don't come here if you're looking primarily for a beach. I knew that going in, so I wasn't disappointed. You either can't swim with all the rocks, or if you do force the issue, it really wouldn't be all that enjoyable. The views are beautiful and the pools are more than enough and are right by the ocean, but there are lots of rock and the sand on the beach is pretty steep in most places. If the beach is most important to you, you'd be much happier elsewhere.

The food was a minor disappointment. The breakfast buffet was the best I've ever had. Service by the pool here was better than at the Four Seasons Maui. The Saturday night beach BBQ (also a buffet) had a lot of delicious items to choose from, including sushi and lobster tails. Frankly, we were underwhelmed with the restaurants for dinner. We ate at the Beach grill and Alan Wong's, in addition to the beach BBQ, and it wasn't so much that the food wasn't good. It was fine. But you'd like better than fine, and you'd like better selection. My wife and I love good food, but after looking at the menu at Alan Wong's, we decided to just share some appetizers. The lunch menu is OK, but again, the selection wasn't ideal.

The spa/health club was my favorite part. Great workout areas, not crowded and wonderful spa treatments. I highly recommend the men's (kane) facial. My wife enjoyed her massage as much as any she's ever had. One complaint: the steam room was uncomfortably hot! (haha) I know this sounds dumb, of course a steam room would be hot, but this was very, very hot and had so much steam that you couldn't find your way out. I got used to it after the first day and it was fine.

At the end of the day, we loved this place. But to be honest, it wasn't much better (if at all) than our experience at Peter Island, and the food and beach at Peter Island were a lot better. That's why I say that if you're on the East Coast, try one of the nice places in the Caribbean, unless you're as obsessed with this place as I was. However, if you live on the West Coast, this is a great option.

if you're debating between Maui and Hualalai, I can't comment on the Big Island in general because we didn't have a car and never left the resort (we were only there for 3 days and used this time to get adjusted to Hawaii time). If you're looking for a true getaway and you value seclusion, Hualalai wins. You can be around people, or you can get away from them. If you don't mind more of a hotel feel, and want a better beach, then the Four Seasons Maui wins hands down.

Feel free to email me with any questions, redsock @ aol.com

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
38  Thank Deacs24
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Usually when we visit the Big Island, we stay at the Mauna Lani. I absolutely adore the Mauna Lani, we got married there in 2005 and had the most memorable gorgeous wedding. So glad we did that.

I've heard so much about the FS though, we had to check it out. As you can imagine, my expectations would be pretty high. Specially since in 2006 we went to the George V in Paris (another FS property), and were very impressed with the service.

We were arriving on the Big Island after spending 5nights on Kauai, which was a bit of a disappointment, but that's a different review....

The lobby was just gorgeous. The reception upon arriving, could do with a few changes. While waiting at the front desk, trying to check in (which is obvious, since we are wearing leis), I was surprised that no one asked us to sit and relax and enjoy some refreshments. Instead, we had to wait in line and and check-in standing up, were hurriedly passed some refreshments as we checked in. Just didn't feel as relaxing as it could have been.

Considering, the hotel was only 70% full when we were there, I'm really surprised the overall service wasn't better.

Our room was absolutely beautiful. We had a room overlooking the Kings pool and was Ocean View. Considering how expensive this room was, I did feel like the room was really exposed (and it was!). The Kings pool is a very cool pool that is open from 10am until 4pm and you can snorkel in it. Snorkel gear is provided. They have all kinds of fish and 3 eagle rays that you can feed also. We feed the eagle rays and they were so sweet. Our lanai looked out to the pool, and when we had breakfast, everyone going to the pool can see you, and do look. In fact, they can see into your room if you don't have the plantain shutters pulled. So, if you're wanting privacy and don't wish for an audience, pull the shutters closed. :) That was the biggest problem I had with our room.

Dining onsite was the biggest disappointment I had at the resort.

On our first night, we dined at Pahui'a. We made reservations that day for it, and were told that earliest reservation was for 7:30pm. That's fine for us, as we usually eat late. Service was slow. First and foremost....that was the biggest disappointment here. The food was just excellent! I was very happy we decided to eat there. Our waitress was so flustered she actually had someone else serve us for a time, but honestly by then, I was too annoyed with the original waitress to give any leeway. I just don't understand...the hotel is only 70% full, it was already almost 8pm, the restaurant was pretty empty, and yet, she was really slow. It took over 15 minutes for her to come by and take our order. In fact, she had someone else come over and take our order finally. The food was excellent though...

The Hualalai Grille was the biggest disappointment of all. That was one of the WORST meals I've had in a long time. The service was deplorable, the food was hideous. The only good thing was the red and yellow tomato soup. That was excellent. Otherwise, we spent over $100 without wine on a meal that was just a waste of time. We would have been happier at McDonald's.

On a good note, the In-Room dining, was really delicious. Breakfast every morning was just perfect. We ordered lunch and our selections were very tasty.

The spa, was very nice and relaxing. Everyone there was pleasant. It was kind of weird though, I thought, they have you pay for your service beforehand. They also charge you a mandatory 20% gratuity, and then there is another line for extra tip. All this before the service! Frankly, I'm irritated that the tip is not my choice, and it's before the service. What if I wasn't really happy? I might want to tip less than 20%, or if they were really stellar, I'd want to tip more than 20%. That I found very irritating.

Would I go back???? The property is beautiful, a bit more upscale than the Mauna Lani, but there are some serious issues with service. So, I guess, if they were having a special, I would consider it, but I would not have dinner there, nor would I have the spa services again. The Mauna Lani has a beautiful spa, and the people are just a bit friendlier.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
21  Thank Manateegirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
13 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!