“Could not think of a better dive certification!”
Review of Kona Honu Divers

Kona Honu Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kona Honu Divers is locally owned and operated. From the moment you step into the shop or prepare to board our boat, you become part of our "ohana" or family. Our boat is safe and comfortable. Our dives are guided by knowledgeable instructors who brief you on what to expect to see before you enter the water. Encounters with dolphin, turtles, and manta rays are common in the placid Kona waters.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I am a very new diver and getting my open water certifications here was the best water experience of my life! Our dive instructor, Terri, was extremely knowledgeable of the area we were diving and always pointed out the different kinds of fish, and wrote it down on a slate so we knew what we were looking at. Additionally she made me feel very comfortable when doing the skills and explorations and I knew I was in good hands. During our surface interval we came across a whale shark and snorkeled with it for quite some time. The captain was able to find the whale shark and get within feet of it as it swam by. That's when we jumped in. That was amazing all by itself and combined with the amazing first dive experience we had, it just made everything once in a lifetime. Everyone was very knowledgeable, understanding, and safe. I can't imagine someone not enjoying the experience. I whole heartedly recommend this dive shop to everyone interested. The whole experience made me much more excited about future diving than I was before. Thank you Kona Honu Divers for the amazing experience!

2  Thank Zilphy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"fish"
in 77 reviews

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I went on the night time manta ray dive with my partner and it was an experience that I will never forget. I now know why it is rated as one of the top ten dives in the world, and the number one night dive in the world! The staff was wonderful, very nice and funny and helpful. They also spotted a couple whales on the way to the dive spot and made sure to point them out to us and took a mini detour so we could also go whale watching. The manta rays are not at the dive spot every night and we were lucky enough to get to see them, but even if we hadn't they said we would swim around and look for eels and night fish. We got to do both! At the end of the dive we went for a short night dive and got to see eels, puffer fish, hear whale songs and so much more! I would definitely recommend this dive and I recommend doing it with this company.

1  Thank Amor G
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I'm a 56 year old woman and did a day-time intro to scuba with my athletic 21 year old son. Our instructor, Terri, was thorough, patient, personable and extremely capable. With more than 3,000 dives under her belt, not only does she know her stuff, she instills confidence in us. I'm not usually anxious, but this was a very new experience for me, knowing nothing about diving. She took us through the basics on the way to the dive site and after quizzing us, took us into the water and tested our skills. She took her time and worked patiently with me as it took extra time to acclimatize my ears to the pressure of the depth changes.

The entire dive experience with this company was stellar. The crew were all helpful and personable and the captain was personable and professional. He managed a tight ship. They were able to effectively and efficiently coordinate a full boat with everyone from highly experienced to novice to beginners like myself. I was assisted at each step and all the necessary safety precautions were taken to ensure everyone had a pleasant, problem-free experience.

They took us to great locations and we were able to dive to 40 feet in two dives. The motivation to overcome my nervous jitters was high because the environment and underwater setting was so rewarding. When we returned to the boat, I loved having a hot shower available and snacks - including fresh pineapple boats - delicious! I cannot wait to return and am now planning to become certified because of the great experience I had with Terri and the Kona Honu Divers.

Highly recommend this activity and this company!

2  Thank Joyce H
Reviewed January 3, 2014

If you want to meet a great crew and have a wonderful dive experience for all levels try these guys out. We loved it. Very organized- great boat and dive equipment