“Horrible experience”
Review of Kona Honu Divers

Kona Honu Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kona Honu Divers is locally owned and operated. From the moment you step into the shop or prepare to board our boat, you become part of our "ohana" or family. Our boat is safe and comfortable. Our dives are guided by knowledgeable instructors who brief you on what to expect to see before you enter the water. Encounters with dolphin, turtles, and manta rays are common in the placid Kona waters.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 22, 2013

First time snorkler . These people Are Full of lies . Told me I would have a person Teach me how to snorkel

All they wanted to do was sell the package

After putting on wetsuit and Getting in the water they made me get out right away

Spent five hours Totally nauseous . nobody cared

konahonudivers, Owner at Kona Honu Divers, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

It always makes us sad when someone doesn't have a wonderful time with us on one our charters. We take your experience seriously and will use your comments to help us better ourselves. We do strive to give the very best experience to all of our customers all of the time.

We are sorry that you were nauseous during the trip. Sometimes, especially winter months, the ocean is a little rougher than summer as we get the swells coming from the Northwest. It is always recommended to take sea sick medication, even if the ocean is flat because you don't know how your body will react to even slight motion.

We do give a quick briefing on the use of our snorkel equipment prior to entering the water, but it is also assumed those that sign up for a night time snorkeling experience are swimmer safe and comfortable in the water as it is a safety issue for themselves. If the crew does not feel comfortable with someones swimming abilities we will and do request they leave the water as a matter of our customers safety. If you would like to discuss your experience please do not hesitate to give us a call and we would be happy to speak with you about your experience with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"fish"
in 77 reviews

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My teenage son and I did the Dusk and Manta Dives with Kona Honu. The boat is pretty big. It looks like it could accommodate maybe 20 divers. They also take snorkelers out with the divers. They had a crew of 4 on our trip. The Captain, John who somehow managed to remember everyone's names did a nice job briefing us all up before we left the marina and in getting everyone into and out of the water efficiently. The two dive masters Nico and Taiki (i probably misspelled that) were both very personable and helpful. Even though there were quite a few divers, they divided us up into groups so it ended up being about six divers per DM on our dives. Under water, there was no rush and they did a very nice job pointing out interesting things. It was also nice that the DM routinely checked to make sure everyone was doing fine.

Our second dive was the Manta dive. There was quite a bit of surge on the bottom, which made it difficult to stay in one spot. Also there was about six or seven other boats diving on the same spot. Of our six dives this week, this was by far the best. If you're nervous about diving at night,don't worry about it. There were so many people down there each with lights that you could easily see 60 feet. While we did see mantas, for me the most interesting thing was the overall experience. The lights made for a ghostly hue and I kept looking up to see all of the other schools of fish that also showed up to feed on the plankton.

While I highly recommend doing this dive for more than just the Mantas, I would suggest that if you or anyone in your party is a nervous diver or a weak swimmer, I would think twice before going if ocean is not relatively calm. While my 16 year old son and I had a blast, with the surge on the bottom it was a lot of work trying to stay in one spot on the bottom. I was glad my wife and 14 year old daughter had decided not to go. If not for the surge, I'm sure that they would have enjoyed it as much as we did. Hopefully next time we're in Hawaii.

1  Thank Andrew_and_Kates_Dad
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Terri was great with me on my adventure dive, very patient with me and encouraged me but did not push. Thanks again for a fun experience.

1  Thank Gmiller_13
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Thanks to Kona Honu Divers for a great time this past week. They treated my family very well and helped provide us with some fantastic memories. We did the Manta dive/snorkel and they were very accommodating of my Mothers recent ankle injury. Terri did a great job with my Dad's intro to scuba course and dive, and I had a blast on two day dives and the Manta dive. Their boat and rental gear is all top notch, the nicest of any Hawaii dive operator I've used. A heated freshwater shower on the boat?! Unspeakable luxury! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend KHD to anybody looking to dive in Hawaii, and I'll be diving with them again.

1  Thank BenMaiea
See more reviews
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We did the Discover SCUBA dive with Kona Honu Divers. It was our first trip to Hawaii and the first time diving for both of us!

The instructors were friendly, funny, and incredibly patient! I was feeling anxious about diving, but Terri helped me to feel comfortable under water. I'm so glad she helped me make it down because the bottom of the ocean was incredible and beautiful! While we were under water, she pointed out lots of colourful fish and creatures. We were lucky enough to see 20-30 dolphins on our way to the dive site. They swam right up close to our boat!!

Also, there was basic diving information given before going down. I felt very safe because of the instructors.

When we go on our next vacation in Hawaii, we will dive with Kona Honu again for sure!

1  Thank lisapeesa