“Good food, drinks, service and view”
Review of Don's Mai Tai Bar

Don's Mai Tai Bar
Ranked #2 of 12 Nightlife in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We had come here to have dinner at Don the Beachcombers but found that it was only open on Thursday-Friday-Saturday, a huge disappointment. Jason Door, the manager on duty found out about our situation and he and his staff went out of their way to make our one night special. Located adjacent to the restaurant, Don's Mai Tai Bar offers a large and tasty menu. We sampled most of the appetizer menu then each had a unique entree. We also sampled several of the special cocktails including a flight of four different styles of Mai Tai's. We had a great view of the setting sun as we wined and dined for two solid hours. The staff was most attentive and we reluctantly called it a night after finding just enough room for a wonderful round of desserts. This was the nicest evening we spent in the islands and recommend it highly to one and all. Mahalo Jason.

2  Thank Californiac
There are newer reviews for Don's Mai Tai Bar

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This is hands down the best view of the sunset in downtown Kona. A lot of the other places have rocks blocking the final descent of sun. Get there early and sit in the bar area on the edge & u are guaranteed to get awesome pictures. Service was okay, drinks were okay, sunset was breath taking. I ordered the lava sample, which were supposed to be frozen but they were mostly melted when I got it. Tiki chips are yummy to snack on, nice spiciness to them. Husband got the Mai tai sampler & said they tasted weak.

1  Thank Chels1120
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I wanted to find a place near our rental condo to have a drink and dessert one evening, so we went to Don's because it looked fun and relaxing and was only a block away from our place. I wanted to try the supposed original Mai Tai.

Once we sat down, it took FOREVER for anyone to acknowledge that we were waiting for service. I would guess at least 15 minutes. Finally, my wife went up to the bar to get someone's attention, although at that exact moment, someone came to the table and asked me if we had been served yet.

He gave us our dessert menus and took our drink orders. When we ordered dessert (2 molten lava cakes), he let us know that this dessert takes about 20 minutes to prepare, which was fine for us because we just wanted to enjoy our drinks and the wonderful atmosphere and view.

Our drinks arrived fairly quickly. I had the Mai Tai and my wife had the monthly special called the Mango Princess. I've had other Mai Tais during this trip, as well as in other cities in the US and Canada. This one was disgusting. If that is how a true Mai Tai is supposed to be prepared, it's bad. Nothing but straight harsh booze taste. My wife's Mango Princess wasn't much better, although you would think that, based on the name, it would be something girly! It had such a strong, weird after-taste that it was hard to drink and she left half of it.

The desserts were really good. They were rich and warm and gooey, exactly what we had hoped for.

When the bill finally arrived, we decided to just pay cash because we had no idea how long it would take for someone to come and take a credit card from us, and we had already been there for over an hour.

If you are just going for drinks, I would recommend sitting at the bar where a bartender will see you and wait on you very quickly. Otherwise, go elsewhere.

2  Thank Dare-To-Share
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We arrived around 4:30pm. Seating was no problem, we found several available tables right at the edge of the restaurant overlooking the ocean.

We both had 2 Mai Tai cocktails (original) and it was Happy Hour so the prices were great. We had two orders of the wonderful coconut shrimp and one order of hot wings. The wings were to spicy for me (but that is just me, I don't care for spicy).

Watching the sun go down, the delicious Mai Tai's, the music ...which by the way is not overpowering, perfect service, really good food - what more could one ask for? The night we were there it was more of an over 45 crowd, relatively quiet and relaxing.

Yes Yes Yes try Don's Mai Tai Bar. I am disabled so swimming in the ocean or even the joy of walking on the beach, is out of reach for me. At Don's everything was what I had been waiting for and was the highlight of my night.

3  Thank K M
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We ate here twice for lunch because of the great atmosphere and view. It was the exact setting we wanted to get away from the tourist shops and crowded town. They have a huge, open area around the bar that looks out at the ocean, with plenty of tables and space to keep it from feeling crowded. Don claims to be the originator of the original Mai Tai (you can read the history online), and they definitely make an excellent one! I tried the original (very good), and the Pele Volcanic Mai Tai, which left me feeling pretty good after just one. The food was tasty (I tried the Hawaiian Style Bar-B-Que Stack with chicken, and the Kalua Pork Quesadilla), and the service was excellent.

1  Thank Michael F