“Best Thai Food Ever!”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have had thai food at various places, here in Midwest and also on West Coast. However this was simply the best thai food we have ever had. We ordered everything from Vegan menu - Tom Yum soup, green papaya salad, yellow curry, panang curry and pineapple fried rice - and each dish was very delicious. The ingredients seemed very fresh and dish preparation was outstanding. Both restaurant ambience and service was also pretty good. I highly recommend this place for any thai food lover visiting Big Island.

There are newer reviews for Original Thai Cuisine

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Voted best Thai restaurant in Kailua-Kona every year by local residents.
We've tried 5 or 6 local Thai restaurants, and this is consistently the best.
A little hard to find, as it's up an almost blind ramp to the top of a small plateau near Palani St. off Kuakini Hwy. (Firestone center). Go between a restaurant and a bar in front, round to the back of the complex.

The reward is in the bowl or plate! Great flavors, with hotness of your choosing. Don't miss it if you like Thai cuisine.

1  Thank Caryl B
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I live on the Big Island and as a lover of Thai food I frequent the various Thai restaurants here, including the Original Thai restaurant which has generally pretty good food. Recently, I went to the Original Thai and placed a take out order for summer rolls. I've placed this order before so I knew how much it would cost. When i was told what the cost would be i was surprised to find out that it had gone up by about 15 percent. I paid the fee and while I was waiting for my order I took a look at the pricing on their take out menu and discovered that I had been over charged. I brought this to the attention of the lady who had taken my order, and she told me that the pricing on the take out menu was no longer good...all the prices would be the same as on the regular menu, which were higher. I asked her why then did she still have the take out menus visible and available as opposed to discarding them. She said that she didn't want to waste money by discarding the take out menus...never mind that the prices were no longer valid.

When I informed her that she was misleading her customers regarding the pricing on the take out menu, her response was that she hadn't had customer complain about the price discrepancy( I suppose she disregarded my complaint), so she was going to continue to allow patrons to use the faulty take out menus.

The bottom line is that whilethe food at the Original Thai is pretty good, I will no longer patronize the place. I refuse to patronize an establishment that apparently believes that as long as enough customers do not complain, is ok to be dishonest with their customer in order to save a little money at the customers expense.

I will not eat at establishment that I don't feel I can trust, and Original Thai cannot be trusted!

2  Thank Doug L
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have frequented this restaurant since we moved here 1 year ago. It holds the distinction of Best Thai Restaurant in Kona as rated by locals in the yearly newspaper review and is what drew us in the first time we visited. We have never been disappointed.

I usually order a curry dish. The menu offers red, green and yellow curry sauces. The menu items are family recipes. The servers are family members and can easily help you select something that suites your palate.

The restaurant is tucked away in the backside of of strip mall in a busy part of Kona. It's a bit tricky to find. There are many daily specials besides the offerings on the menu. The prices are higher than Thai/Asian restaurants we've visited on the mainland ($14 for a lunch special, I think, is pricey.) But, the pricing is about average for the Island. The food is delicious so in that respect, it's worth it. The ambience is decent.

1  Thank Analeah11
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Priced reasonably and you can sit outside and watch the ocean/sunset. Menu is widespread for different Thai meals. Service was very fast and people were friendly.