“One of our favorite places in Kona”
Review of Huggo's Restaurant

Huggo's Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 288 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Santa Fe, NM
“One of our favorite places in Kona”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We always go to Huggo's when we visit Kona. This time we were staying within easy walking distance which made it even better as parking is limited. The highlights for us are the view, and the Hula pie for dessert. We weren't disappointed on this trip.

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Rochester, New York
“Actually...Huggo's”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had dinner at Huggo's, next door to the more casual, bar like atmosphere of Huggo's on the Rocks ( which had a band playing live music that Saturday night). Huggo's is by the water and we were seated outside , the beach right beside us. There was a nice breeze and the sound of the gentle waves lapping on the rocks were soothing. We watched some fisherman night fish sphering, their headlamps like little lighthouses!
Our very entertaining and knowledgeable waitstaff explained in detail the specials of the night and also told us which was the most popular dish. It was very helpful. We ordered a bottle of red wine from chile. I ordered the popular fettucini in garlic cream sauce with the fresh fish "catch of the day" for an extra $12.00. Worth it! The sauce was tasty but light and the fish, mild and flaky and cooked perfectly. My Hubby ordered their most popular dish, the teriyaki beef. It was a skirt steak marinated in teriyaki sauce. It was cooked very tender, juicy and very good, paired with wild rice and fresh steamed vegetables. My son ordered the bouillabaisse . It came by itself in a shallow bowl with a couple of clams, shrimps, mussels and half a lobster tail. The broth was very tasty and delicate. It was delicious he said but it left him still hungry! My other son ordered the catch of the day. A medium firm white fish cooked simply and paired with a black "forbidden rice"! He really liked it and we all had to try the black rice just because it sounded so exotic! They tried a coffee cheese cake, a generous portion! And a chocolate cake.
The food was very good and the atmosphere and location was awesome. The food came at a good phase. I recommend going here.

Visited September 2013
Arvada, Colorado
“Not worth it...Go next door to Huggo's on the Rocks”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Went to Huggo's on the Rocks the night before because Huggo's was not open yet. Came back next night and went to Huggo's. The hostess was very rude because we didn't have reservations even though the place was empty and never did fill up the entire time we stayed there. She seated us at a table right next to the kitchen where it was so hot we couldn't stay. Asked to move and she reluctantly did. The food was nothing special. I had the ribs which were soaked in heavy barbecue sauce and the slaw underneath was awful. My colleague ordered a Japanese style meal which was all served in one box and was not visually appealing. All expensive and not worth it. Will not go back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank M B
Scottsdale, Arizona
“We will never be back!!!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

From the moron at the hostess desk to the overworked sole bar server that had to take care of 50 diners, it was a nightmare.

We really looked forward to going back to Huggo's where we had dined dozens of times in the past, but not in the last ten years. We arrived early for our reservation and was told that the dining room would not be open for about ten minutes, but to have a drink in the bar. I told the hostess that we really wanted a table along the ocean front and she assured me that it would not be a problem. After a 45 minute wait I approached the hostess desk and was led to an inside table next to three screaming kids and adults that could care less. I tried to reason with the hostess, but she blew me off. We walked out and will never go back.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank xnycop
Prince Frederick, Maryland
“Memorable Experience”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I surprised my wife by taking her to Huggo’s for our 20th anniversary dinner on July 23rd. When looking for the perfect romantic restaurant, Kona Fun Travel highly recommended Huggo’s as the perfect place in Kona for that. I did some follow-up research and I was quickly convinced this was the place to take my wife. I also found they tended to be quite busy at night. Seeing this was going to be a Saturday night surprise dinner, I called to see if I could make a “secret” reservation. I spoke with a woman named Dianna. When I explained what I was planning, she was very accommodating. I also stopped at the restaurant one afternoon to finalize the reservation and I was able to meet with Dianna. She took me to where she was going to seat us. It was PERFECT. It was an ideal table for two, away from the crowd, and overlooking the waters edge.

On the night of our dinner, as we entered my wife was surprised when she was presented with a Plumeria flower for her hair, complements of the restaurant. After we were escorted to our table our server, Justin, and his assistant, Andrea, came up, introduced themselves, and congratulated us on our 20th anniversary. It appeared everyone knew about us, including our bar server, Ronni, who was able to create a special Mango/Strawberry cocktail for my wife. I started out with a Huggo’s Big Bamboocha Mai Tai. It was so good I had another during dinner.

Justin could not have been more accommodating when it came to our dinner order. We started out with the Garlic Bread Parmesan, a garlic and Parmesan butter, toasted on French baguette; followed by a Caesar Salad that we were able to share. For dinner, my wife had Huggo’s Signature Teriyaki Steak while I had the 10-ounce Prime Rib with 6 HUGH fried shrimp. Both meals were perfect.

After dinner, Justin surprised us with a slice of their House-made Big Island Lime Pie, again, complements of the restaurant. My wife noticed the Waialua Chocolate Mousse Cake being served to a table nearby and asked if we could try that, too. Justin quickly brought it to her, and mentioned that, since it was the last piece, he had to rush over and take it from another waiter explaining it was for a special anniversary couple. Aside from it being huge, it was also so rich my wife couldn’t finish the whole thing.

I have to say that this was a very memorable experience. I cannot say enough good things about the staff and food. We were treated better than I could have possibly imagined. Even the guy working in the parking lot (whom I met when I went to finalize our reservation) saved us a special parking spot and congratulated my wife when she exited the car.

I would highly recommend, for any special occasion, making a reservation at Huggo’s!!!

Then there was that sunset ……..

• Visited July 2013