“Outstanding!”

Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill
Ranked #6 of 299 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Description: Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill is a casual local's joint featuring fresh seafood, steaks, pasta and a variety of salads at affordable prices. The restaurant (named after our daughter) is the culmination of much hard work and the dedication of ourselves and our crew. We invite you to be our guests and experience great food and old fashioned hospitality, island style. Angie and Paul—Proprietors of your Local Ohana Grill. Established 2004.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great dining experience at this quirky local place. Delicious arugula salad piled into an artistic pile and each bite was amazing. Love the seafood trio and ahi tuna. The food is amazing and artistically presented with unique combinations of flavors and sauces. The drinks are also very good. Service was very friendly and efficient. I highly recommend and would love to go back.

1  Thank PlanetR
Write a ReviewReviews (2,528)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We've been to Jackie Rey's several times. The service is very good, the ambiance is nice and fun, and the food is wonderful, with a great variety, always beautifully presented. We've had excellent fish, wonderful salads, and very tasty desserts. Highly recommended.

2  Thank almonds
Reviewed January 25, 2013

It looks like an old style highway restaraunt. bar in the middle of food service, plain tables, but...\
friendly family atmosphere, excellent wait people and chefs, nice hostess all the time, feel like you are at a wedding or such with everyone happy and content. a lil noisy so like most places,< if we all talk quieter we wont have to talk loud to be heard-my 2 cents. > Food is local in origination and pretty darn fresh. good wine choices and beers. well-stocked bar. service pretty fast and still friendly. even the pupus are great. join the Jack Rae club and get great savings coupons all the time. i make a point to go at least once a month-oh it is that time again.l

1  Thank Bobb L
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have been visiting Jackie Rey's every year for at least a decade, and I think they are even better than last year. The atmosphere is nice and funky. The menu has all the usual suspects: fresh fish grilled to perfection, garden fresh greens and fruit, etc. But there is always a “special” that catches you off guard. I tried the pork chop encrusted with chili and ground coffee…it was a sensual delight...a bit of a bite with a robust after taste. It came with a pair of perfectly grilled bacon wrapped shrimp. I could live on those alone! They have a decent wine list, some interesting “local cocktails” and good coffee. The deserts are always over the top and the “mango tango” was just that – mango cheese cake dipped in dark chocolate with liliko’i sauce…WOW! Our only complaint on this trip was the service was a bit strained…we arrived at 7 pm and if we had not made a reservation two days earlier (you must do this if you are at prime time, even on a week day), we would have cooled our heals…they were jammed. My sense was they might have been shorthanded because our waitress forgot a couple of the basics, such as the bread starter and asking about wine refills. But they are forgiven – mango tango indeed!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Such a jewel I don't know where to begin. The fish was perfect 5 out of six times, but the off day was certainly good. And thats the only fault I could ever say about this place is, that quality depends on whos chef-(local friends confirm this too.) The sauces, the fish, the vegetables, and every single morsel on the plate was beyond good, it was special ingrediants indeed. And the presentation, something I'm not particularily into, was outstanding. When I return I will eat almost every meal here, heck with the fancy spots in Kohala, I've been and they should take lessons from Jacke Reys. In fact we coined a term which we use to this day to describe extraordinary food--"Jackei Rey good."

1  Thank brian s