“Practically perfect”

Lafodia Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lopud
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The only modern property on the island, Lafodia is a truly lovely hotel. We had a beautiful junior suite which was v reasonably priced, it had a huge balcony; one side looking onto lush mountains, the other on the sea. The vista could not have been better.

The hotel is v clean and well kept. However, breakfast was nothing to write home about, it was fine, but nothing special. Little touches like providing brown bread and not just white bread would make it great.

The hotel has a small private pebbly beach which leads into the most beautiful clear sea I have ever swum in in Europe. It also has a nice pool area. There does seem to be a bit of sunbed hogging going on, with people bagging the best sunbeds with towels and then disappearing for hours.

Lafodia itself is a charming little island. The landscape is not dissimilar to Italy but it’s far more laid back and unpretentious; if I wanted to be v picky I might say it lacked a little in finesse, but it made up for that in atmosphere and quirkiness. It has an almost magical feel to it.

Overall the hotel is pretty damn good and the cost is reasonable. The rooms really are v nice indeed, definitely 4 star, but the hotel itself is a continental 4 star, but not an international 4 star, I would say a lot of that is because certain aspects need refinement. One of these areas
is that the 'gym' equipment is appalling. Its outdoors and there is only one cluncky cheap machine. It's a shame because it was too hot to run outdoors and we would have appreciated being able to train in an air conditioned environment.

Unsurprisingly we ate fish every night for dinner and it was v fresh, cooked and served in a Sardinian style; baked in the oven with garlic and served with potatoes and vegetables. There isn’t much variation on this so it can get quite samey, but we just thought how lucky we were to be eating such fresh fish in beautiful surroundings.

Tip: take a decent camera; the sunsets are awe-inspiring and a regular smart phone will not pick up the shape of the sun, it will just be an orange blob.

5  Thank Doddster
Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel. As noted by other reviewers, breakfast was great, but options for lunch and dinner are limited. However, there are several wonderful restaurants on the island that are a short walk from the hotel. Konoba Barbara, Konoba Peggy, and Obala were all wonderful and served great fresh seafood.

5  Thank henry1003
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This experience started out extremely frustratingly - I had booked a "hotel in Dubrovnik" on Hotels.com, which stated that this hotel was 12km from the city centre. That was fine. Except when I arrived at the bus terminal and tried to get a cab to the hotel, I was told it was on an island....1 hour away...on a ferry that only left 4 times a day.

I was pretty frustrated and tired after a 6 hour bus from Split...until I arrived at the hotel.

To say it is amazing is an understatement - it was truly one of the best hotels i've ever stayed at. The gentleman who picked us up in a golf buggy from the port and drove us to the hotel was hilarious and so lovely. We walked up red carpet to the foyer, and the staff were all friendly and efficient. The hotel is gorgeous - my room was brand new, immaculate, and had digital controls for the lights and air con which was fun. The decor was very modern and exquisite. I had a great view over the ocean and the pool.

Breakfast was extensive and top-class, and all room service was just lovely. All food staff were equally attentive and friendly.

The best thing was the pool. I sat by it / in it for days staring at the turquoise ocean and the glorious mountains in the background. Truly one of the best views I have ever seen. There was not a cloud in the sky which added to the amazing scenery.

This was one of the best "mistakes" I've ever made - at first I was frustrated I was no-where near Dubrovnik, but once I entered this hotel I didn't want to leave the island, and even extended my stay. There are lots of little gorgeous shops, cafes and places to swim along the front of the island, and this hotel even has water volleyball nets in the ocean for people to play with.

If you want a peaceful, relaxing and enjoyable stay, definitely stay at Lafodia. I would love to return sometime in the near future. Absolutely beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool and / or ocean
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank mangoss76
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Just back from a very enjoyable week at the Lafodia. Lopud island is a great place to stay - absolutely beautiful and close enough to Dubrovnik/the mainland to keep you entertained. I would recommend going on an excursion to Mostar as well - amazing place with incredible sights.

The hotel was good - rooms were spotlessly clean with a good size bathroom and balcony. The beach area was where we spent most of our time as strangely there are no sun shades at all around the pool and with the temperature in the mid 30s it could get a bit intense! The pool itself was very nice however and the beach/sea area was great to sunbathe and swim in.

The hotel could be even better though with just a few little improvements. Firstly the restaurant in the evening wasn't great - being an Italian restaurant it meant there was little choice. (However this just means that you can explore the lovely restaurants on the island). Second - mattresses on the sun loungers - hard plastic is not comfortable!! Third - sometimes the service around the pool/beach bar was not ideal - the waiters/waitresses gave the impression that they didn't really want to be there occasionally.

If I had one tip for the hotel management it would be to make the beach bar into a restaurant at night.

Overall though, these were minor quibbles with a really good hotel that is
well worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank d304us
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Croatia really is a hidden gem - people have been telling to go for ages and now back a couple of weeks I am telling everyone else to go. The flight is short and painless (food on monarch was a pleasant surprise and well worth it - as good as long hall). No fuss and delay at passport control and a short coach trip right past the ancient gem of Dubrovnik to a Cornwallesk little fishing village where the hotels private Launch picks you up for the trip over to Lopud Island - it is a great start to any holiday and a real bit of magic.
This hotel is fantastic if you are looking for a brand new hotel that represents amazing value with very smart rooms (upgrade if you can for not much money - well worth it) and public areas, a perfect location and views to die for. In fact if you want a great endorsement the rooms 'actually' look like the brochure and the website - a novelty I know - in fact, i have given the rooms a disservice there, they are better than the photos in real life!
Food is excellent and all the stuff on TA seems well over the top - probably the best hotel food we have had in ages and the local wines are to die for - our waiter was by far the best we have ever had at any hotel we have stayed at and we have done the big name resorts - in fact all the staff are very accommodating and friendly. The food in the evening is served of a menu with 4 or 5 choices of starter and main complimented with a all you can eat style buffet for sides, salads and desserts. The Italian influence is there with sublime pasta dished but there were also meat and fish in abundance - the other negative posters on here must be mad!
The drinks and bar snacks etc are reasonable with good choice and the view from the infinity pool down to the little village will be engraved on my minds eye forever - idyllic is the only word I can come up with but doesn't do it justice.
Lopud is a dream - crystal clear blue ocean, no cars, rustic med charm with ancient buildings and great trecks for walking and exploring - totally unspoiled and not commercialised (long may that continue i hope) the beach on the other side is a must and a great walk (if not your thing there is a golf buggy taxi service!!). Little beach bar there is great value for lunch and a couple of beers £15 for 2 - you'll need a £10 for beds and brolly though as sand is unbearable to walk on but great fun to people watch!!!
There is a ferry to Dubrovnik for the obligatory day trip but this one is special - what a place and don't miss the cable car up the mountain to see it in all its glory (go at night though as its hotter than the sun and full of cruise ship croanies).
My wife and I are in our early 40's, reasonable hard to please, expect high standards and this ticked all the boxes - we are booking to go back in the winter.

Room Tip: Upgrade from a standard room - well worth it although standard rooms are great especially low level...
4  Thank philcube3
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Only two hours of a painless flight from Gatwick and we were in Dubrovnik airport. Whisked through immigration in no time at all, followed by a minibus trip of an hour to a tiny port where a motorboat was waiting exclusively for the two of us. Almost midnight, but a smiling member of staff from the Lafodia Hotel loaded our cases on board and we were off. Way above expectation, like something out of a James Bond movie, we surged through the black as night water towards the Lafodia, Ten minutes later, we docked and our bags were taken to reception. Our room was standard but met all our needs with a fantastic view over the pool, the sea and the small port of Lopud. Bacardi and coke on the balcony, paradise found.
Breakfast was wonderful. Two glasses of chilled prosecco on the balcony with a huge choice of
breads, crosissantes, cereals, yoghurts, fruit, eggs, bacon, cheese, cold meats etc, A great start. Hit the infinity pool, small but perfectly acceptable, pool bar playing ambient music, just at the right volume, plenty of sunbeds, no need for a 7am towel spread. More Bacardi and coke on the balcony as we got ready for our half board evening meal.
Oh dear! We read all the reviews and ignored them. But now we have to agree with them.The only thing that blighted our stay at this magnificent hotel was the dreadful evening meal. Why, oh why was there not a full buffet as befitting a 4star hotel? We had not come to Croatia to eat 2nd class Italian tourist standard rubbish. We met several other couples during our stay and all mntioned that the food at the evening meal was sub-standard..On our second night, a woman complained to the manager that her prawn dish only had one prawn.He apologised but no more prawns were forthcoming. A count was taken: I had three, my wife two and the man behind me seven! 4 stars? I don't think so.
The hotel staff were fantastic and helpful in every way. All our queries were dealt with in a friendly manner and Jasna, I think it was, gave enormously helpful adviice on our ferry ride to Dubrovnik,and told us that if we got the 6.20 am ferry we were entitled to a packed breakfast from the hotel..This was waiting for us when we we turned up at 6.10am. 5 star service.
Tried out the private beach on our second day. Ruined by a sudden outburst of appallingly loud disco music which was apparently for the aqua aerobics class. We then had to watch a single middle aged woman desperately trying to copy the enthusiastic movements of the instructor. We never went back. A private beach which was clearly opened to all and sundry.
But then there was Sunj Beach and what a revelation that was! A stunning sandy beach only a few minute away via a buggy ride through pine forests and copious butterflies! Unspoilt luxury awaits, two fabulous cafes with wonderful food, the grilled calamari to die for, ice cold beer, paradise found again.
Plus points:
5 star hotel
5star location
5star staff
5star pool
5star room
3 star food

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view. Everyone we met from different rooms were perfectly happy with the room t...
5  Thank Theactor1
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed at Lafodia for a week in June, I don't usually write reviews but felt this hotel was so good I just had to. The hotel is ultra modern and spotlessly clean. The staff are so very polite and extremely helpful and very efficient. The food is fine the views are wonderful, and Lopud island is lovely we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ann M M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lopud
Hotel Bozica
#5 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik
Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik
#15 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to Lafodia Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!