“Not a 4-star hotel”
Review of Sol Garden Istra

Sol Garden Istra
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Umag
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is not a 4-star hotel, by any stretch of the imagination. If you go there expecting 4 star food, service or accommodation, you'll be very disappointed. I spent 4 nights here and the major criticism is this: there is no attention to detail. Everything is just "sort of ok".

*They "clean" the room but just gather garbage, like empty bottles, beside the bed, without even binning them, or taking them away - very odd.
*The fitness center has no cardio equipment that actually works.
*They charge you for internet access but you really struggle to get efficient assistance when it stops working (so frustrating if you are on a working holiday as I was).
*They don't have complimentary toothpaste in the bathroom, which you can expect of 4* service.
*Calls to reception sometimes simply go unanswered, so if you have a problem/question, you need to go downstairs to have it addressed.
*The buffet has an impressive array of choices for every palate. But the food never quite looks fresh, whether you get there at the beginning of service or towards the end.

On night 3 of 4, I too experienced a strong stench in my room, as mentioned by other reviewers.
But I didn't complain about this, or ask to switch because, as also mentioned by another reviewer, the staff aren't really friendly. Not a lot of smiling or willingness to help and by the third night, I thought I'd just grin and bear it as I was past the halfway point of my stay.

On the day I arrived, I asked the receptionist, at check in, what she thought the top spot was for me to make sure I saw before I left Umag. Rather than simply naming a place, she pointed me towards a table lined with dozens of binders full of reams of brochures and offers from tour guides, most of which weren't even in English.

On the plus side, you are very close to the water and can take some really pretty sunset strolls.

I've stayed at far better places than the Sol Garden Istra. And I've stayed at worse. My advice is to go with relatively low expectations to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank IrisJay
IstraturistUmag, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Garden Istra, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Hello Iris Jay, my name is Sabina B. and I am Quality Manger at Hotel Sol Garden Istra.
Thank you very much for all your comments that you have shared with us. We are constantly trying to improve our services and all your observations will surely help us.
Our hotel is big and hosts a lot of guests at one time, but we try to pay attention to details and satisfy the needs of all our guests.
I have personally spoken with all of Head of departments and I can assure that mentioned situations like cleanliness of the room will not be repeated.
I'm really sorry about the situation where no one answered the phone. To prevent a similar situation, since this year we have introduced telephone service "Solutions Center", providing an answer to any question or request from the customer within 15 minutes. Telephone number is printed on the label on the phone in every room, and the phone line is in function 24 hours a day.
As far as the food at the buffet in the future period we will make some changes so that we can keep up with trends, but I assure you that the food at the buffet every day freshly prepared with fresh ingredients.
I would like to apologize for any possible inconvenience you experienced at our hotel and hope that you will give us another chance so that we can show you improvement. When you come back please feel free to contact me, I will be very glad to meet you personally and give you any information that you might need during your stay including some tips what can you visit in our lovely town and its surroundings.
Best regards
Sabina B.
Quality manager

Reviewed September 17, 2012

They are trying to be a high star hotel, but they are hardly there yet.
The staff never heard of smiling and seemed unfriendly (except the cleaning crew, they were great), the rooms (main building) were horribly soundproofed; you could hear people 2 rooms away and the food was bad and boring. It was only when dignitaries from the nearby tennis tournament came over for a party that the fresh en 'better' food was served, which is a shame.

Conclusion: If you want a pool and some sport infrastructure but don't value food or a personal touch, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if possible!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The swimmingpool, the entertainment, the clubs, the new waterslides were perfect!!!!( 4 starts!)
But our room was hardly worth 2 stars: the firtst day there was a bad smell in the room... lots of mold spots in the corners of the bathroom, water allover the place when we took a shower. (Although the cleaning lady dit her best!) We were in a room adapted for wheelchairs, probably because the other rooms were all occupied.( Our friends had a normal room and that looked better)
The restaurant feels like a schoolrefectory, noisy , big, crowded,...

Room Tip: i think the rooms in the mainbuilding are a much better choice!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Domke
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We spent two nights in this Hotel and I think we got the worst room in the Hotel. It was in the basement, with a view on parking. If you go on the balcony, you are practically sitting on the parking.I forget to mention that our room was not in the main Hotel's buliding but in a one of others in the village.
When I went on the Hotel web page and saw photos of the rooms, I thought that it was some mistake, then I found photo of mine one -please see the photo of Family park side room.

All in all, it is not glamorous hotel as it looks on its web site. I would say that is rather old-fashioned but not in a cosy way but time-warn with some new equipment -that's my overall impression. I can't complain on the cleanness, it was quite clean but our room was smelling as if it wasn't open for some time. We had two air conditioners in our room (actually room was consisted of two spaces-sleeping one and another one connected, with a tv) which were pretty noisy when turned on (clap, clap, clap,... whole night but when you are dead tired it is ok:))

We were eating in Hotel's restaurant and food was ok. Since we came as a kind of VIP guests during Umag ATM tournament, I can't be objective if they are always serving such a food but it was a great choice of dishes for dinner and it was tasty. I can't complain neither be delighted with a Hotel's stuff. They were behaving correctly. All in all, I would never came again, at least in that type of room. Umag is not a place where I would like to spend my summer vacation but it is worth coming during ATP because there is a lot of fun in the city ( 20min by walk from Hotel-please don't try it in heels). We didn't have a time to go on beach so can't comment.

Room Tip: I wouldn't suggest Family room, park side in basement-that is terrible. Regarding other rooms, I...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ZezaZagreb
IstraturistUmag, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Garden Istra, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Hello ZezaZagreb,
My name is Sabina B., I am Quality Manager at Hotel Sol Garden Istra. I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for holidays. I'm sorry that your room is not what you expected, but at the same time we are pleased that you were satisfied with the cleanness of the room and with the food. As you mentioned ATP tournament is one of the biggest events in Umag, but there are plenty of other events and activities during the summer period in Umag. Thank you for your comments that help us improve our services. We hope that you will be once more our guest and please be free to contact me for any information that you may need. Best regards,
Sabina B. – Quality Manager.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is of newer ones in Sol Croatia group. Rooms are good, although I don't get laminate floor. No seaview, as hotel is about 300 m from the sea. Wellness is operated by subcontractor, and am not impressed neither by service nor price. You can get 1 hour massage in Zagreb for 150 kn, while in Sol Istria is 330 kn and is not really a massage. Although I have pointed out I wanted stronger pressure, all I got was petting on my back. Staff in dining room is excellent, although I have noted that one child threw up on the floor one day and it took them about 15 min to clean, although people were trying to eat around there. And the food, really really bed. Pools very nice but also not cleaned very well (brownish line on the waterline - can be scratched with fingernail).
But I have to say, taking into account average service in Croatian hotels, this is a pretty good one.

What I have to say, it is definitely outstanding hotel in terms of taking care ofchildren. I have a three year old and they took care of him, he loved it.

Gameroom outrageously expensive and therefor empty.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank igazic
Reviewed July 12, 2012

First time in Sol Garden Istra but for sure not our last time. Lots of activities for little ones and if you want to drink a coffee in peace you can leave them to play with girls that are going to take care of them. The only thing I didnt like is hotel beach. It is awful but pools are perfect and 5 minutes by car in Savudrija you can find nice sandy beach for kids. If you are without kids I would not recommend this hotel. Especially in dining area where it is crazy. I noticed that they have not enough baby chairs and they don´t allow pushchairs inside dining area. That was a problem with smaller kids. They can´t sit on normal chairs and eat. Breakfast and dinner were perfect. Rooms big and spacious. Very friendly stuff. Prices of drinks are low for 4* hotel. For example - coffee 1 Euro, cocktails - 4-5 Euros. We will be back soon. Warm recommendations for this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Bubolina

Hello Bubolina,
My name is Sabina B., I am Quality Manager at Hotel Sol Garden Istra. Thank you so much for your recommendations and for all your comments. We are glad that you spend a nice vacation in our hotel. Regarding the children’s chair we will make sure that we increase the number for the next time you come to visit us. We thank you again for your comments that help us improve our services. Kind regards to you and to your family.
Sabina B. – Quality manager.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

me and my friends were in sol garden istra for the first time,and we were trheeleeed with clean and comfortable rooms,clean pool and perfect food, staff are organisedl and there for you what ever you need. clean beach, healthy sea ..... perfect to come and relax :)

Room Tip: all rooms are quite,clean and comfortable but the best view are from the rooms 138, 139, 140
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends