“Not all what it looks like”
Review of Sol Garden Istra

Sol Garden Istra
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Umag
Oedelem, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
“Not all what it looks like”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

They are trying to be a high star hotel, but they are hardly there yet.
The staff never heard of smiling and seemed unfriendly (except the cleaning crew, they were great), the rooms (main building) were horribly soundproofed; you could hear people 2 rooms away and the food was bad and boring. It was only when dignitaries from the nearby tennis tournament came over for a party that the fresh en 'better' food was served, which is a shame.

Conclusion: If you want a pool and some sport infrastructure but don't value food or a personal touch, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if possible!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Ingelmunster
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The swimmingpool, the entertainment, the clubs, the new waterslides were perfect!!!!( 4 starts!)
But our room was hardly worth 2 stars: the firtst day there was a bad smell in the room... lots of mold spots in the corners of the bathroom, water allover the place when we took a shower. (Although the cleaning lady dit her best!) We were in a room adapted for wheelchairs, probably because the other rooms were all occupied.( Our friends had a normal room and that looked better)
The restaurant feels like a schoolrefectory, noisy , big, crowded,...

Room Tip: i think the rooms in the mainbuilding are a much better choice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Domke
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We spent two nights in this Hotel and I think we got the worst room in the Hotel. It was in the basement, with a view on parking. If you go on the balcony, you are practically sitting on the parking.I forget to mention that our room was not in the main Hotel's buliding but in a one of others in the village.
When I went on the Hotel web page and saw photos of the rooms, I thought that it was some mistake, then I found photo of mine one -please see the photo of Family park side room.

All in all, it is not glamorous hotel as it looks on its web site. I would say that is rather old-fashioned but not in a cosy way but time-warn with some new equipment -that's my overall impression. I can't complain on the cleanness, it was quite clean but our room was smelling as if it wasn't open for some time. We had two air conditioners in our room (actually room was consisted of two spaces-sleeping one and another one connected, with a tv) which were pretty noisy when turned on (clap, clap, clap,... whole night but when you are dead tired it is ok:))

We were eating in Hotel's restaurant and food was ok. Since we came as a kind of VIP guests during Umag ATM tournament, I can't be objective if they are always serving such a food but it was a great choice of dishes for dinner and it was tasty. I can't complain neither be delighted with a Hotel's stuff. They were behaving correctly. All in all, I would never came again, at least in that type of room. Umag is not a place where I would like to spend my summer vacation but it is worth coming during ATP because there is a lot of fun in the city ( 20min by walk from Hotel-please don't try it in heels). We didn't have a time to go on beach so can't comment.

Room Tip: I wouldn't suggest Family room, park side in basement-that is terrible. Regarding other rooms, I...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZezaZagreb
IstraturistUmag, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Garden Istra, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Hello ZezaZagreb,
My name is Sabina B., I am Quality Manager at Hotel Sol Garden Istra. I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for holidays. I'm sorry that your room is not what you expected, but at the same time we are pleased that you were satisfied with the cleanness of the room and with the food. As you mentioned ATP tournament is one of the biggest events in Umag, but there are plenty of other events and activities during the summer period in Umag. Thank you for your comments that help us improve our services. We hope that you will be once more our guest and please be free to contact me for any information that you may need. Best regards,
Sabina B. – Quality Manager.
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is of newer ones in Sol Croatia group. Rooms are good, although I don't get laminate floor. No seaview, as hotel is about 300 m from the sea. Wellness is operated by subcontractor, and am not impressed neither by service nor price. You can get 1 hour massage in Zagreb for 150 kn, while in Sol Istria is 330 kn and is not really a massage. Although I have pointed out I wanted stronger pressure, all I got was petting on my back. Staff in dining room is excellent, although I have noted that one child threw up on the floor one day and it took them about 15 min to clean, although people were trying to eat around there. And the food, really really bed. Pools very nice but also not cleaned very well (brownish line on the waterline - can be scratched with fingernail).
But I have to say, taking into account average service in Croatian hotels, this is a pretty good one.

What I have to say, it is definitely outstanding hotel in terms of taking care ofchildren. I have a three year old and they took care of him, he loved it.

Gameroom outrageously expensive and therefor empty.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank igazic
Reviewed July 12, 2012

First time in Sol Garden Istra but for sure not our last time. Lots of activities for little ones and if you want to drink a coffee in peace you can leave them to play with girls that are going to take care of them. The only thing I didnt like is hotel beach. It is awful but pools are perfect and 5 minutes by car in Savudrija you can find nice sandy beach for kids. If you are without kids I would not recommend this hotel. Especially in dining area where it is crazy. I noticed that they have not enough baby chairs and they don´t allow pushchairs inside dining area. That was a problem with smaller kids. They can´t sit on normal chairs and eat. Breakfast and dinner were perfect. Rooms big and spacious. Very friendly stuff. Prices of drinks are low for 4* hotel. For example - coffee 1 Euro, cocktails - 4-5 Euros. We will be back soon. Warm recommendations for this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Bubolina
Hello Bubolina,
My name is Sabina B., I am Quality Manager at Hotel Sol Garden Istra. Thank you so much for your recommendations and for all your comments. We are glad that you spend a nice vacation in our hotel. Regarding the children’s chair we will make sure that we increase the number for the next time you come to visit us. We thank you again for your comments that help us improve our services. Kind regards to you and to your family.
Sabina B. – Quality manager.
Sveti Ivan Zelina, Zagrebacka, Croatia
Reviewed July 1, 2012

me and my friends were in sol garden istra for the first time,and we were trheeleeed with clean and comfortable rooms,clean pool and perfect food, staff are organisedl and there for you what ever you need. clean beach, healthy sea ..... perfect to come and relax :)

Room Tip: all rooms are quite,clean and comfortable but the best view are from the rooms 138, 139, 140
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

We were there last year. Everything was ok, nothing to complain about. They have nice fitness, inside & outside swimming pools, great massages...it was a nice weekend and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank viddezman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umag
Sol Umag
Kempinski Hotel Adriatic Istria Croatia
Sol Umag Residence
Sol Umag Residence
#8 of 14 in Umag

Been to Sol Garden Istra? Share your experiences!