“Groups in Sol Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Umag
Bratislava, Bratislava, Slovakia
“Groups in Sol Hotel”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was staying in the property as a supervisor for a travel agency bringing about 1500 clients during 3 weeks period in April. I must say it was a very pleasant cooperation, as all the employees werer more than helpful, the food was great and the location is perfect for day trips across Istria.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MatejTheTraveler
IstraturistUmag, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear MatejTheTraveler,

Thank you for your review!
It was a real pleasure to host you as our guest and I am glad that, although you were working during your stay, you found the time to enjoy in the beauties of Umag and Istria.

The whole staff of Sol Umag is looking forward to host you and your groups again.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Umag is probably the capital of tennis in this part of Europe, not only because of the ATP staduim, but even more importantly because of seemingly endless number of tennis courts.

Hotel Sol Umag is located just after the town of Umag in the direction of the other hotels, and is among two which are the closest to the center and marine, some 10 and 5 minutes’ walk, respectively. On the other side, you can walk up to Basanija and Savudrija, if you want to, and it's pretty cool.

The hotel is right on the seaside, nicely pulled away from any disturbing street or origin of noise. You will appreciate that, I am sure.

We took the suite facing the sea and the sight is worth the money. What we regretted, was - and I put it up to poor management judgment - construction works on a simple metal object on hotel beach. They were mercilessly starting with hammers and machinery at 6:00 A.M. even on Sunday morning. After a week, the work was almost finished (and we as well). Noise-wise, if you pick the seaside, you'll also pick the view of the garden bar. Always somebody loud there until 1 A.M.

To the hotel: it's a 4-star facility. Full stop. Yes, it could have been a bit refreshed. Yes, there are hotels that are more chic. But, everything is in place and working properly. Rooms are spacious, beds decent, pillows acceptable (some choice would be appreciated). The inside bar is ok, and the terrace is great. Good food there at reasonable prices.

Restaurant for breakfast and dinner is a bit of a hurdle: extremely packed, very noisy and improperly lit. Not exactly a place where you'd enjoy your food. And it's a pity, as the food is quite good, a bit monotonous, but still good.

When entering the hotel I got nervous about what to expect when I was greeted on the reception with: "ID." Call me old-fashioned, but the reception is the first encounter of your guest with the hotel. "Hello" is nice. "Welcome" is better. "I see it's your first time in our hotel" doesn't hurt as well. "ID"? I don't think this is a good start. However, in the coming days I realized that they have a good spirit, just a bit of polish is maybe missing.

On the other hand, the staff is really good here. Starting with the boy helping with luggage (helpful, smiling, always greeting), restaurant staff (Jelena and others), bar (have a look at Marinko and his wonderful attitude and spirit!) and housekeeping. Never a problem to help the guest with a wish. Wellness staff is also exceptional, not hesitating to spend some time after working hours and clearly stating that it would be personally rewarding for them if we'd chose them. Amazing.

Internet: not free, about 3 EUR for half an hour, if I understood correctly. This is not ok.

Coffee advice: espresso is horrible. Walk around the corner to Spritz Bar for Illy.

Runner's advice: plenty of opportunities, either towards town or up to Savudrija. Mostly you'll run on hard surfaces, so be prepared.

Under the line: a good hotel where we'll definitely return to.

Room Tip: Pick sea view, but be prepared for noise from the bar.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fst01
IstraturistUmag, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear fst01,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travellers.

As you nicely pointed out, Umag is not only the ''capital of tennis'' because of the ATP tournament but also because in Umag we have more than 60 tennis courts and every year we are improving our offer.

Regarding your comments about the infrastructure, I would like to inform you that this year we started with the investment in Sol Umag as a ''bike friendly'' hotel. We are building a new storage for bicycles together with the bike centre that will offer the possibility of renting bikes and maintaining them.

I appreciate your comments regarding our Reception department because we are always working on the improvement of our services and I am glad you recognised the kindliness and the effort of our staff. I also wanted to inform you that we changed the internet prices a few days ago in order to make them more suitable for our guests.

Best regards to you and your family,

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My family (two daughters me and my husband) had great time in the hotel. We rent two double rooms. WE had a great time. Lovely people, great service, amazing spa moments, nice small city, great food. Great space for nice relaxing holiday with family. Istra peninsula are full of nice small places with specific historic treasures your should see (Matovu, Groznjan). Human touch you could feel! we will for sure come back again soon

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear sanela43,

It was a pleasure to read your comments and thank you for taking your time to share them with us.
I am glad you and your family enjoyed your stay in our hotel and the sightseeing of Istria.
You have choosen two beautiful cities in central Istria and I hope that during your next visit you will have time to see much more.

We hope to see you soon!

Regards,

Guest Expericence Manager
Breda,Holland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've had a great time at this hotel, very nice staff. Perfect hotel to have a relax time, nice pools and a lot possibilities just to relax. Just takes a few minutes to get to the beach. I'll really want to go back soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jensvb,

Thank you for your compliments.
I am really glad that you had a relaxing holiday and that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Hope you will visit us again during the summer!

Best wishes,

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

we were staying (my wife and small child) in Sol Umag for 4 nights in Residence part, just refurnished part of the hotel. rooms are a bit smaller than expected but new and with a balcony. our room was facing toward the hotel main entrance. in general, rooms are nice, bed comfortable except pillow was a bit too high. I would recommend to hotel to offer a different kind of pillows, placed in a closet. it would make a great difference. for instance, I prefer lower type of pillows. we were as well having lunch in a hotel restaurant and I was a good choice. ingredients were fresh and food was tasty. at this time of a year not many restaurants in a neighbourhood have it.

pro and cons
there are some exceptional people in the hotel. F&B manager or it was restaurant manager, not sure. Gentleman managed to keep his team under control and all peeks were handled easily. waiters were nice and friendly and fast.
there's a person named Antonio, takes care upon entertainment program. kids love him. a true hospitality kind of a person. in general, employees were very nice.

breakfast and dinner were great. nothing to add. for a 4 start hotel per expectations.

cons
I would definitely work on improvement on room cleanness standard. it is not only that you need to clean guest bed but as well manage all the details. for a 4 star hotel this is a must.

in general, pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear matejmrak,

Thank you for your compliments.
I am glad that you had a relaxing holiday and that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Hope you will visit us again during the summer!

Guest Expericence Manager
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

experince in Sol Umag was very good.Very big and great wellnes.The staff is very friendly.The
food is fantastic.The seaside is couple of steps of the hotel.Best side in Umag.The wiev is fantastic. We coming back in holidays in june.

• Stayed February 2013
IstraturistUmag, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Mocci19,

I am Melina, the Guest Experience Manager at Sol Umag.
Thank you for writing the review about your stay in our hotel.
We are pleased by your compliments and so happy that your stay in our hotel was comfortable.
It would be a pleasure for us to host you again.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the beginning to the end my experience at Sol Umag was one to remember. From the director of the hotel Mario Migles, to the servers, cleaners,cooks and even the kids club worker Antonio, the while experience was one to remember. The rooms are out of this world, and the food is even better. You wont find a better buffet anywhere in Croatia. The only thing that was a little dissapointing was the beachfront. The only sand part was away from the hotel. I would highly reccomend!

• Stayed July 2012
IstraturistUmag, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Zgusrcu300677,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing your review on Tripadvisor.
As I can see, you were satisfied on many levels of our service, and this is the biggest compliment for the whole hotel team.
Regarding your comment about the beachfront, we started with its renovation and we hope you will be more than satisfied the next time you come to visit us.

Greetings from the whole team of Sol Umag!