$230
$109
$93
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Apartments Sol Stella for Plava Laguna(Umag)(Great Value!)
$92
$120
$104
$74
All reviewsnice apartmentslovely poolneeds renovationa lot of funbeautiful countryanimation teamfamily holidaychildrenseacroatiabungaloweurosoltennis
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I spent 14 nights , at probably the worst time of the year to do so.holiday season was coming to a close, so most entertainment shows had gone home. but I was very surprised of how much of a wonderful place it was. ok its not the hilton, but it was great for it's price.also the staff at the reception building were very helpful and friendly, which is more than I can say for my fellow british friend's..who believed that they were deserving of treatment afforded to royals.. such ignorance was an embarassment' I found that because I tried to speak"if only a little" of the language and respected the culture of the locals and staff 'I was treated and my wife ..very well. the food in the complex restaurant was splendid and very fresh..I loved the place and intend to spend 1 month or more travelling croatia, because it really is a beautiful country..oh and if your british' please dont expect and demand english food. my stupid holiday guest's who paid a mere 100 pounds each for 14 nights and airfair including transfers demanded they wer'e served heinz baked beans and English pork sausage, moaners spoilt the holiday and persisted to be rude ...but my family loved the the resort .Life aint perfect.. enjoy it while you can, and be thankful.. A BIG THUMB'S UP SOL POLYNESIA STAFF ..

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank AL G G
IstraturistUmag, Guest Relations Manager at Apartments Polynesia Plava Laguna, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Mrgroverman, I am Tanja Štokovac, the Quality Manager of apartments Polynesia.
I want to thank you for your comments and I am very happy that you spent a nice holidays in our village and also that you like our beautiful country.
Throughout the season, we have a rich entertainment program here, daytime and evening, various children's, sports and funny activities that make the holidays nicer, but as the season is coming to an end the program also decreases.
In the restaurant and other points where food is offered, we have a rich offer of various delicious food (pasta, pizza, fish, Croatian and Istrian specialties etc.).
Our village is big and ideal for families with children. Large green areas, trees that can offer you shade, swimming pool, beautiful beach are ideal for relaxation. All our staff always tries to provide to all the guests a very pleasant stay.
One more time, thank you for your comments and we hope you will be our dear guest again.
Tanja Štokovac-Quality Manger

Reviewed August 7, 2012

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The apartments (it's not a hotel in the traditional sense) offer a good price/quality ratio for a budget traveler, especially for families with kids. The beach is OK, but the sea is full of seaweed, and is very shallow. The food is OK, but the variety is quite poor, and, surprisingly, the choice of fruits is quite poor also. Tennis courts are great. The beach club is quite promising.

THE LOCATION
The closest airport is Pula, and it's a good one hour drive from there to Umag. From Umag, it's another 20 or so kilometers, and by the time you arrive to the reception you're closer to Italy than to Zagreb.

The apartments are arranged in some 60 houses scattered over a large area, and your house is likely to be another few hundred meters from the reception. So if you're not driving your car, ask your transfer to wait until you check in, and then take you directly to your house.

Most people travel there with their cars, which is very convenient, but is often irritating when your neighbor parks on your lawn.

THE APARTMENTS
The two-storey houses are grouped in the blocks of 3-4 houses, each group surrounding its own "private" patio. Each house has eight apartments (four on the first floor, and four on the second), with the "corner suites" having larger balconies and being more spacious. The advantage of the first floor is that you have direct access from your balcony to your garden.

As this was my first time at a two-star hotel, and first time at a RO (room only) concept, I was prepared to accept even Harry Potter’s residence (“cupboard under the stairs,” if you didn’t read the book). The reality was a bit different – the apartment had a decent size bedroom, a small living room with a kitchen appendix to it, and another small appendix hosting a sofa for the third resident. Needless to say, it didn’t have air conditioner, but somehow it was never too hot.

The furniture and decoration are very basic, the appliances are quite worn-out, and many didn’t work (for example, a coffeemaker and a lamp above the cooking desk, which was hanging on one bolt). But, the stove and the fridge were there, and were working OK.

The linens and towels were supposed to be changed once a week, and the cleaning was supposed to be done once a week also, but the cleaning ladies never materialized, so I had to approach them to change the towels and sheets myself. As for the cleaning, I hardly noticed any presence of the cleaning staff, so I washed the floor, which was covered with tiles, myself.

THE GUESTS
The first impression was that I ended up at some lower middle class residential neighborhood in Italy, and only the lack of underware hanging on the strings convinced me that I was someplace else. The guests are quite international, but guests from Croatia, Italy, Germany, and Slovenia are clearly more numerous. There were almost no Russians (a big plus for me).

The vast majority are travelling with kids of all ages, but the kids usually go to bed at 10, and do not make that much noise during the day (outside of the baby pool, of course). This does not go for German and Croatian bachelors, who have loud parties until 2 or 3, or even sometimes 5 in the morning, until some disgruntled father shows up to calm them down.

THE SEA
The hotel has its beach, which is made private by virtue of the remoteness of the location, and because of other hotels having their own beaches. It is a U-shaped lagoon, with the beach itself entirely covered with concrete. Unless you wear special shoes, the entrance is very challenging, especially as the stairs are quite slippery.
The sea is full of seaweed which looks like grass, and is covering almost the entire seabed. The lagoon is very shallow, you can walk for 50 meters before the water even touches your waist. If you want to have a good swim, your only bet is the pier, from where you start with a depth of some 1.2 meters. As you swim away from the shore, the sea gets much cleaner, and you’ll see a lot of fish feeding on the seaweed, and plenty of large clam-like shells.

THE FOOD
There is a restaurant, and both Bed and Breakfast and Half-Board option are available. My only trip to this place was quite disappointing, and since then I was going to the local restaurants. There are a few cafes and restaurants, but you shouldn’t expect anything like white tablecloth and polished waiters. The food is OK, but the variety is very limited, and you shouldn’t expect delicacies like lobsters or even baked fish. There are five to seven kinds of fish caught hopefully daily, which is usually grilled. There is a large supermarket next to the reception, where you can buy milk, eggs, salami, cereal, raw meat (usually chicken), etc. Make sure to try Croatian Prshut with melon, and local wine made from Plavac Mali grapes (I personally very much like Ivan Dolac Plavac Mali Barrique, which, according to my French colleagues, rivals high-quality French wines).

THE ENTERTAINMENT
The hotel has animation team, which becomes very active in the evening. There is a stage by the beach pool (used primarily by kids), where they have loud disco parties for the kids until 9 or 10, and then they start the disco for the adults. These are usually quite noisy, and, if you don’t plan to go there every night, try to get a house as far from the beach and the disco as possible.

There are a few on-premises clay tennis courts, which are a part of some tennis academy, but are often available. They are in perfect order, and I very much regretted not having taken my racket.

Another highlight is a “Saint & Sinner” beach club, which is located some 100 m from the hotel’s beach. It is a combination of a beach club, disco, and a night club. It is a spin-off of another club in Croatia, and is apparently a well-respected nightlife brand. The quality could rival some of the best beaches in St Tropez. When it was opened in May, it had a great atmosphere, food, and drinks – both during the day, when you can relax on a sunbed, and at night. The presence of this fine establishment definitely improves the overall rating of the apartments, as you can simply spend all day there, and feel like you’re at Kempinski.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the animation as possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank MikhailMOW

Dear MikhailMOW, I am Tanja Štokovac the Quality Manager of Polynesia. First of all I want to thank you for taking time to write such detailed description of our village Polynesia.
The village is very big and, depending on the type of accommodation you have booked, you can be placed closer or a little further from the reception.
All the apartments are fully equipped with basic equipment, and if something is missing, you can ask at the reception and our maids will as soon possible bring it in your apartment. Also if in the apartment something does not work, you call the reception and our technical service arrives to fix it.
As far as changing towels, they are changed every three days, cleaning every seven days and if you want extra cleaning, the possibility exists but it is extra charged.
Guests that are staying in the village are from all over the world, and our goal is always to provide the same service to everyone.
The restaurant offers a buffet service and there is always a variety of different food for every taste and we are very sorry you were not satisfied with our offer.
As you mentioned the beach club «Saint & Sinner», was opened this year and is located near the village. It provides entertainment for young people and the entrance is free for everyone.
The animation of the village is active during the whole day. We have daytime and evening activities. In the evening in the amphitheatre of the village is very funny because there we have the evening program that involve; mini disco, karaoke, live music, magic show, professional performances and more.
One more time I would like to thank you for your comments and if you decide to visit Polynesia or any other of the various hotels, resorts or campsites that we have in our portfolio we would be very glad to have you as our dear guest.
Quality Manager

Reviewed July 30, 2012

we booked a last minute two weeks before departure. its a big complex where you can find everything you need. The apartments doesn't look nice on the outside but inside its quit ok. you have the basic things to cook but that can be better and the bathroom is basic but clean.
The pool is big and clean especially the toilets are very clean! it was the perfect accomodation for us the kids could stay at the pool, beach or other accomodations and we could visit the region.With a little renovation on the apartements it could be the perfect stay in Croatia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Johan D

Dear Johan D, I am Tanja Štokovac, the Quality Manager of Polynesia.
We are very happy that you choose Polynesia for your vacation and also we are very pleased that you had a nice vacation in our village. All our apartments are equipped with the basic things and if something extra is needed we always try to provide it.
To the pool and all the surrounding area is given high importance and we always make sure that everywhere it clean.
Also all our staff give the best of them to provide an excellent service.
One more time thank you for your nice comments and we hope to see you soon in our village.
Quality Manager

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Beach is terrible, apartments are disaster, sea is full of sea gras, and it's very dirty! There are some activities for kids but when you compare with all negative all positive are not relevant. Access to the sea on the main beach is equal to the suicide. Person on the reception desk is not helpfull at all. And if you are lucky and you get app near the road you will have a feeling like you are on the highway. Choose not to choose this place for your holidays.

• Stayed: August 2011

Dear Daddy34, I am Tanja Štokovac, the Quality Manager of Polynesia.
I have analyzed your comments and discussed personally the exposed conditions with the responsible departments, housekeeping and maintenance. We are very sorry for the disagreeable conditions you have found in your apartment and at the beach, and we will do all that is in our ability to assure that such situations are not repeated in the future.
I'm also very sorry that the reception staff was not what you expected and I will personally make sure to improve it.
Our village is a bit older but all our staff gives the best of them to offer an excellent service. To every guest we try to give special attention.
One more time, thank you for your comments that help us to improve our service every day.
Quality Manger

Reviewed July 8, 2012

My three children had a really great entertainment in activities mini club in Polynesia. Ana Marija, Josipa, Tuna and Željko we would like to thank you for great and fantastic time in Polynesia children club. Unfortunately appartments are not so good (similar like Stefan comment), so rate is only excellent, not excellent + ;)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family