“Nice place for relaxation”
Review of Melia Coral

Melia Coral
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Umag
Ljubljana
“Nice place for relaxation”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I really liked this hotel, due to its position near the beach, which is private, and the fact it's adults only. No screaming kids to spoil your holiday. The resort itself is rather on the quiet side, with not many places to go at night, but that suited us just fine. The hotel bar has a live music at evenings, but nothing tacky. Quite elegant. It's a shame it closes at midnight. But there's allways casino for extra entertainment. There's a hotel shop with lots of foreign magazines and newspapers which came in handy. The lobby is nice and tasteful, but nothing extrodinary and the rooms are clean. As this hotel was renovated to upgrade it to the next level I think they did the best they could. It's not as grand and flashy as some newly buiolt 5 star hotels, but I didn't mind. The staff was nice enough and tried to meet our demands or requests. The pool area was great looking, nice chairs and very quiet. The beach has a beach bar with good snacks and it's positioned under the pine trees. The restaurant food is also tasty, but I wasnt very impressed with food at breakfast and dinner time. It wasn't that high quality and I missed some diversity. But other that that it was a nice stay and I would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IstraturistUmag, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Coral, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear someone1Ljubljana,
I would like to thank you for posting your valuable feedback with an extensive description of our services. As I can notice, you were searching for a quite holiday and I am extremely pleased that our Hotel met your expectations. It is always a great recognition to find our guest’s requests and demands fulfilled because those are the main guiding lines in defining our offers, products and services. This is why I am sorry to hear that you weren’t impressed with our food offer and I wish you have shared your opinion during your stay because our chefs would have been delighted to prepare something to your liking.
I am happy to hear you would gladly return so we can make your next visit even more enjoyable.
Sanda Spahić – Quality manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
BELGIUM
Reviewed September 22, 2012

After a roundtrip Croatia mid september at luxury boutique hotels ended with a 3 night stay at Melia Coral Cannot give 5 stars due to :
- big outside pool not heated. mid september freezing cold pool 19 °C Nobody could use it !
- inside pool at wellness area , too hot 31° C
- restaurant area , very big , refter , noisy If you wanted to eat at your ease do come very early or very late! Quality of the food, eatable but no culinary highlight
- corridor onto the rooms, very basic
- rooms quite small but everything you neede was there. Bathroom for one person at the time
After staying at very quiet boutique hotels wanted something more lively during the evenings like proposed on the website. Only a live band playing at the bar-lobby area. So spended my evenings at the casino- games instead of a nice beachparty.
Adults only, yes ,but during my stay there was a world senior tennis champs at Umag. so lot of those older people at the hotel who go straight to bed after dinner!
In global quite nice hotel , had a correct price deal
Half board included for only 4 euro extra a person!
Think it 's a very nice hotel to stay in july or august when temperature is higher to enjoy better the beach and pool area So this will be a one time stay for me

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PETER46Belgium,
My name is Sanda Spahić and I am the hotel’s Quality manager. First of all, I would like to thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with our pool temperature. I must say that due to the constant change of weather in the low season, most of our guests use the inside pool and they are enjoying the comfort of the warm salted water. It is a fact that our hotel’s offer differs from a boutique hotel because it disposes with a larger number of rooms and guests. Eventually, this reflects on the atmosphere because our guests like to socialize and enjoy longer during the dinner time. It is also necessary to have a wide selection of food to suit everyones taste and this is why I regret you weren’t pleased with our food offer. I must point out that we always try to define our program and our services taking into account the guests preferences. As we are an Adults only Hotel, we organize pool parties twice a week, different presentations such as cocktail and grappa degustation and truffles tastings. I sincerely hope you will come to visit us again so you can enjoy our thematic parties or just take advantage of summer benefits - relaxing in the sun and enjoying the Adriatic Sea.
Quality Manager
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I don't know where to start. We had a business visit to this hotel, so 40 of us could write same review. My room was so stinky, smoke smell, I had to sleep with whole window open. Other room were stinking like were not opened for a 10 years. Stuff, except two men waitress were really rude, unprofessional. First evening we were sitting in a taverne, and waitress said three times, please be quiet, because people from next table are very important (5 of them, we were like 20). It was so impolite! If you are opened then every guest is / must be important!!
Than, waitress in the restorant was circuling with her eyes when one colleague asked to change Cola for Cola zero. She put it loudely on the table and said, hope now it will be ok.
Then last day I asked for a pijama that my friend left in her room, and receptionist asked if I am going to look for it or they will??! Then when I came after 4 hours, new receptionist didn't know anything about pijama, then said that there was nothing left in room. When I said to my friend to write an email to have a written sign, pijama was immediately found. Cleaning lady brought it. I could write 100 examples what wasn't right. Definitely not for recommendation

• Stayed September 2012
IstraturistUmag, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Coral, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear snegro,
First of all, I would like to thank you for posting your comments about your stay at our hotel. Exceeding our guest desires is our main goal and I regret that in your case we haven't met your expectation and made you feel special. Please accept our most sincerely apologize. I must say I am very sorry to read what you reported because our staff makes daily accurate review of the rooms status but sometimes unexpected problems can unfortunately happen. I am sorry you didn't share your opinion while you were in the hotel so we could help you to enjoy your vacation completely. Regarding your friends pyjama, I apologize for the inconvenience and the misunderstanding. Our cleaning lady stored it to a proper place and I personally contacted your colleague and she replied saying that you already retrieved the pyjama. I regret your perceptions of our hotel did not coincide with those we actually want to convey and I sincerely hope you will visit our hotel again providing us an opportunity to apologize and make you feel welcome.
Best regards,
Quality manager
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The staff is extremely friendly. The food is varied, fresh and delicious. In the hotel, at the pool and on the beach the atmosphere is quiet and relaxing since the hotel is for adults only, this greatly contributes to relaxation. An ideal place for a holiday for couples and for adults who are looking for peace, I will gladly recommend the hotel to others and I will definitely come back again. Tip: take your sea/beach shoes because the beach is not sandy and the rocks are sharp.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ivannap,

My name is Sanda Spahić and I’m working in the Quality department. I would like to thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor . We are extremely delighted to know that you appreciated the quality of our food and the professionalism of our staff. These comments are the best recognition that we can receive and I will pass them to our team. I am immensely pleased to read that you lived a memorable experience in our hotel and will come back.
We are looking forward to welcome you again at Melia Coral.

Best regards,
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Fantastic hotel with excellent service. Located at the rocky coast in Croatia pays back with excellent service and athmosphere. Spend 1 night (in business trip) in Augus - very pleased. Good athmospher created by music surrounding in hotel inside. 2 bars had life music. Good rooms and fantastic selectio of food for breakfast. Great idea of swimming pool (ca 30 -40 cm deep) where you can just lay down in the water :). The only surprise - salty water is both swimming pools

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear maciej_zembowicz ,

Thank you for the precious time you dedicated in and sharing your comments about your stay at our hotel.
We are very happy to read that our services and programs contributed to make you live a relaxing Experience in Meliã Coral. Your feedback filled us with joy and I already shared it with our team. I am glad you liked our swimming pool and it had contributed to your peaceful and relaxing experience.
I must say once again how happy we are to read that our guests appreciate the services that we always want to transmit with love and Passion.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Regards from Croatia,

Sanda Spahić – Quality manager
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Even I wrote already something about this hotel couple of years back, I find a will to rewrite again. Why? They made me do it. As I come here year after year I see a lot of improvements. They realy give their best. Since last year they opened new gym, they offer salsa lessons, they constructed few canopy beds in the relax area in the pine forest, they have now free internet in every room, and above everything, they became first Croatian ADULTS ONLY HOTEL, above 16y. It is not that I don't like kids, but is peaceful like in heaven.
Standard offer remain the same, so we talk about aqua gym, pilates, jazz nights, tennis lessons, jazz evenings, pool partys with a go-go dancers...
Various choice of foods, very good a la carte tavern, splendid choice of Croatian best vines.
Staff? Polite as can be. I wonder those clients who are complaining abut the service, do they offer the same standard at home, at their jobs, when they work? F&B manager is a great guy and a hard working person.
Nice size bedrooms, AC, internet, newly furnished, flat screen TV, many international channels, nice balconies, in the pine forest, great pool area with the sea water and just a 50 meters from the private beach with many patios and beds.
I read here many "not 5 stars opinion". Well, what does it mean? If it means this hotel can not match the Vienna's Hotel Sacher, it is true, but Hotel Sacher 500 Euros BB can not match this price here. So we are even.
Whatever people say, I can recommend this hotel to anybody and will come again.
Maybe I should ask from the managing director some serious discount for coming here year after year and write nice things about them ;-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Zadar, Croatia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Bathroom had a sliding door, which could not be closed.
The room phone did not work, so we couldn`t call the reception for room service, we had to walk. The room service was very slow, and they made us pay for the service immediately, we couldn`t put it on the room.

Location, and breakfast were great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Damarina
IstraturistUmag, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Coral, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Damarina,
First of all I would like to introduce myself. I am Sanda Spahić, the Quality manager. I would like to thank you for your comment and assure you that these kind of situations rarely happen. I regret for your experience and I sincerely hope that you will visit our hotel again and provide us an opportunity to color the picture of your holiday with magic and passion.
Best Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umag
Hotel Sol Sipar
Melia Istrian Villas
Sol Aurora
Sol Aurora
#6 of 14 in Umag

Been to Melia Coral? Share your experiences!