“I love and admire St. Damien”

St. Philomena Church
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was coming back from a plumeria farm where I learned to make leis so I stopped at the church and said a prayer and placed a lei on the Father Damien statue. It made me cry to think of what he gave up and what he did for the residents of Kaulapapa. He was a wonderful man.
Oh, the church is beautiful too.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

His original church on beautiful site. It was windy and cooler than other side of peninsula in Feb. A relic of him(now a canonized saint) is in cemetery next to church. Amazingly, the cemetery on lower level of grounds lost most of it markers during a tsunami-probably the alaska/aleutin islands one. Guide said some medical condition made the patients have to spitup often, so Fr Damien had some holes in floor, where some plant frond funneled it off floor to ground below during church services..This church overlooks sea where new patients were basically exiled off boat offshore. Across road is ruins of original Bishop Home; which was childrens residence. And to think that until Fr Damien arrived in 1860s, for about 7 years it was lawless and every person fended for himself at that locale.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

If my local church had a view like this one, you bet I would be there more often than I am. The view alone, at least for me, was enough to make me think that the Big Man left His heart in Molokai.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Beautiful experience. Beautiful trip across time. Please read my review of the mule ride to learn more about how this experience is a "bucket list" trip!

1  Thank Rebecca C
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Beautiful old church! Inspiring and quaint. Wonderful views of the ocean! Saint Damian from the 1800's helped the Leper's to live with dignity and compassion.

1  Thank nurseypaula