“Best experience on Molokai, fo sure!!!”
Review of Molokai Mule Ride

Molokai Mule Ride
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Kalaupapa
More attraction details
Owner description: A two hour mule ride down an 1800 foot cliff to Kalaupapa Peninsula.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best experience on Molokai, fo sure!!!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Initially thought this was pricey, looking at video of an older woman complaining on her review (cuz I'm 58yrs & pretty overweight) so I was tentative...BUT it was beautiful from the ranch to the beach packed with a history lesson that defined this island for its sad treatment of leprosy with the hearts of the faithful to serve others, with panoramic views of the cliffs which can only be seen by hiking, helicopter ride or these fully-capable mules ascending the 1,700 ft drop with 26 switchbacks! Buzzy was cowboy who instructed us with personality-packed humor & the guides were really kind, caring young men...which where I come from is kind of an oxymoron, haha! So glad I experienced this adventure...earned total bragging rights even if Koa (my host mule) did all the work! Get reservations early, this fills up fast & met a hiker at lunch who was dreading the climb back up, poor thing!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank LynneK22

Honolulu, Hawaii
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime experience”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was my first trip to Molokai and I knew I wanted to visit Kalaupapa. And, what better way to get there than by mule. If you are afraid of heights this is probably not for you. You start at 1,600 ft. and descend down 3 miles on mules. The mules are very sure footed and do this 6 days a week. When you get down to Kalaupapa your tour begins of the town and the beautiful scenery.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank kshelby123
Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Must-Do in Molokai!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Spent a week down in Molokai this past September, and the Mule Ride was one of the highlights of my trip. It took a few switchbacks before I was used to the feeling of riding a Mule down a trail that follows a pretty steep cliff, but once I was settled in, the ride was stunning. The view of the north coast of Molokai is incredibly impressive, and the Mules are steady enough that you can snap a few photos along the way. We did a tour of the peninsula when we arrived to the bottom of the trail, and I would highly recommend that part of the tour as well.

A tip to anyone riding Smokey; she likes to eat the tall grass, so be prepared for a lot of snack breaks.

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime experience”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just returned from Molokai....what a wonderful, uncrowded, natural place to visit. We spent 4 nights there in a Friends condo on the dry(west) side. It was so beautiful. Wonderful beaches, beautiful sunsets, quaint town, 11 pm hot bakery run, waterfalls..wish we would have stayed longer.

The mule trip was a real highlight. There were 9 in our group plus Buzzy and three other guides. They were all so kind, helpful, reassuring to us. I was petrified and screamed often, much to the amusement of our group, it is a steep, rough ride going down, but I did it. The views were awesome, but I admit I did close my eyes on the switchback turns...the mules are very sure footed, but I am a wimp. They kept telling me to trust my mule and he did his job. Actually, the ride up was much faster and easier too.

Pictures were available for purchase at the end $10, but we were a group of three, so had our own. But we got a Certificate Of Achievement, National Park map and a sticker at the end. Fresh sandwich, chips and cold bottle of water for lunch....and really enjoyed the bus tour of the colony and stop at the gift shop....I would highly recommend this adventure.

3 Thank hillslife
Costa Rica
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A Molokai Must”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

A real Molokai must! The mules appear to be well kept. They are surefooted and trustworthy. This is a family operation and they do a great job!! The ride down is a little scary because it is STEEP......not for the faint hearted, but the mules know their job. The tour of the Leper Colony is conducted by one of the very few remaining residents and is very well done. It is unknown what will become of this colony once the last residents pass on and the youngest ones are in their 70s.
See this tribute to Father Damian and the people who lived there while you can. Riding the mules down and back is the way to go.

5 Thank CostaRicaSue