“Don't be afraid of the mules!”
Review of Molokai Mule Ride

Molokai Mule Ride
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Kalaupapa
More attraction details
Owner description: A two hour mule ride down an 1800 foot cliff to Kalaupapa Peninsula.
Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't be afraid of the mules!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was our first trip to Moloka'i and this was a one of a kind trip so I booked it. We woke up to rain the day of our ride so I called and was told that they ride rain or shine and we might be blessed with a rainbow. I was a little nervous about riding a mule down 2,000 foot sea cliffs with 26 switchbacks, on a possibly wet and slippery path. It was wonderful! Trust the mules - they do this every day and are very sure-footed. And there WAS a rainbow from the sea cliffs to the ocean. Kaulaupapa is beautiful and fascinating and I would suggest you learn some history about it before you go. There is a novel called "Moloka'i" that I really enjoyed. You will learn a lot on your tour but I was glad I knew some background before I went. There is also a book called "The Colony" if you want to learn a lot about rhe history of Kaualpapa and Hansen's disease.

Be prepared with good shoes for riding, a raincoat and a camera. Don't bring anything that will flop around and frighten the mules. You will not be able to stop to untie anything from the saddle and there are no restrooms on the trail :) You can buy drinks and snacks in Kaulapapa at Fuesaina's Bar (smoking area under the mango tree) and the company provides a sack lunch. We will absolutely do this again.

Visited April 2012
6 Thank Niram

Redding, California
163 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Amazing Mule Ride”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The trip is well worth the money. The mules make the hike less strenuous, but more exciting because you have to trust the mule on the edge of a HUGE cliff. The tour through the village of Kalaupapa was interesting, but had less history than I expected. The mules were definitely the star of the show. Expensive activity but well worth the cash. We also hiked the trail and it was still fun and beautiful, but much more work.

Visited January 2013
New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“What an amazing adventure!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

All I can say is this: read all the reviews, and dont hesitate for one second to second-guess or doubt any of them!

Its the kind of experience that is both humbling, and fulfilling, at the same time....but with splashes of sheer enjoyment mixed in for any, and everyone!

Gotta say this: Buzzy?????? Brah, you be da' story-talkin' king a da island! But story filled with such love....such enjoyment....maybe the single-best tour guide Ive ever experienced, anywhere....but certainly in a very close tie with Pilipo Solatario from Halawa Molokai! These two gentlemen taught me more about the islands...their spirit..their cultures...their sheer love for life, than all my other tours over the past ten years combined! And thats an understatement!

Book in advance.....dont worry about weather (as during the Winter you may experience some rain at almost any time)....the more moisture in the clouds and air, the more rainbows you will see, and our group saw several both on the descent, as well as the ascent of the trail.

The scenery and village at the bottom are wonderful pay-offs for a trip that can be a bit...."trying" on a mans....."kibbles and bits", if a person isnt used to this type of ride.

The animals are wonderful.....and the crew makes it as safe as it gets,anywhere. As Buzzy told us as we started our trek, "Dese mules.....dey got no suicidal tendencies to worry about"....

I can safely recommend this attraction to anyone considering this.....email if you have any questions!

Mahalo!

Visited February 2013
3 Thank KonaJoe14
Sydney, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Book way in advance to avoid disappointment!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I actually didn't get to do the ride, because when I came to the island and staying for 1 week, I rang on 1st day, and found out its completely booked out, and owner Roy who is the most lovely man told me most people book a few weeks to few months in advance since there is only 18 mule a day!
So I am writing to let everyone know if you don't want to miss out, book early! I read the reviews on many review website, but no one gave warning to book early. It took me 2 days to get over the fact we are not able to get to the town which I was looking forward to! In the end, we went to the kanupapa lookout and see it from the top. As beautiful as it was, it's not the same not being able to get there, and my husband and I aren't fit enough to hike down! And we didn't want to spend $220 per person to fly down because not being able to 'experience' the land to get to kalaupapa town wouldn't be the same. (The mule ride is still $190 each, but we were prepare to pay for a unique experience)

Anyway, not meant to be for us, but hopefully my review will help others not miss out on this unique experience!

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Fairyland_Goddess
Fernandina Beach, Florida
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Exciting. Great Views!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I took the mule, my wife took the plane. I got the better experience!

This mule ride offers incredible vistas of the Kalaupap peninsula and the sea cliffs of north Moloka'i. It takes about 90 minutes to get down the trail and about ten minutes less to get back up.

It you're scared of heights, don't do this. If you don't like animals, especially mules, don't do this. The mules are well behaved and the views are exceptional. Riding a mule for over an hour can get tedious, but the time goes quickly.

The animals are sure-footed, but we did experience one of the animals slipping. My friend that was with me had done this four times and said he'd never heard of a mule slipping before, so this way of getting to Kalaupapa is not without some risk. That said, I have far more faith in the mules getting me down safely that doing it by myself. Several of the hikers also slipped going down the trail.

I highly recommend the mule ride to Kalaupapa. It's exciting and offers exceptional views of Moloka'i.

Visited January 2013