“Fantastic Staff”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Medulin
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We came to visit for our wedding anniversary. The hotel was immaculate, food was great and the staff were fantastic and it's important to note that this is an "adults only" hotel.

The countryside around the hotel is very pretty with some great walks along the coastal path - visit the remains of the Roman Villa. If you like beaches though, this is NOT the place for you as the beach is rocky and comprises of shingle. However, there are plenty of sunbeds (double ones as well) around the garden and the pool.

Have yourself a massage - very relaxing!

Sadly we had an emergency at home and we had to leave before the end of our holiday. We cannot thank the staff (along with the Thomson Rep. Zeljka) enough for all the help that they gave to us in organising a flight back home (from ITALY), organising a taxi to take us all the way to the airport from Medulin (about 175 miles) with a great driver (Thanks Rade).

We hope to return to finish our holiday off.

3 Thank PMLaycock
Arenaturist, Management at Sensimar Medulin, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Park Plaza Medulin for your holidays and for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that you had such a nice experience on a special occasion such as a wedding anniversary.
It is a great pleasure for us to read that we were able to fulfill your expectations and you felt well taken care of during your stay with us.
Please rest assured that we’ll share your nice comments with our team members. We are all
looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel should your travel plan ever bring you back to Croatia!

The Park Plaza Medulin Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Hungarian first
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I went to stay at this hotel in September 2013, the rating in last year’s Thomson Couples brochure was very good. It states that the hotel is just 500m from the resort centre, this is true although the resort centre is very small and consists of cafes, bars and souvenir shops on a stretch of about 500m. It also states there is a miniature rail service that runs along the front, I was down there every day and did not see or hear one.
The standard of food in the restaurant is very very poor for a Thomson’s couple’s holiday and if it was served up in a prison would probably cause a riot. The chef on the carvery would conceal masses of inedible fat, gristle and skin beneath a slither of meat and then put it on your plate, complaining is futile and nothing will be done about it. I tried to survive the week on the soup for lunch and the vanilla ice cream for the evening but it was not to be as they ran out of the vanilla and it did not reappear untill my last night, still there is always a positive if you look hard enough and I have not put on any weight this holiday.
Snacks of a day time as laid on by all the other couples hotels I have stayed at again are nonexistent!
Bar stops serving at 11pm not as with most hotels which are normally 12 midnight!
The choice/no choice of drinks is totally abysmal with one white wine, one red wine, three cocktails, soft drinks and some local spirits. All the drinks are warm and the beers are almost always flat. If you want Rose, Cava or a more varied choice as offered by all the other couples Hotels then don't book this one!
Barmen are quite quick to tell you that you can serve yourself with white or red wine to save them the hassle. The brochure mentions a pool side snack and drinks bar, this is actually a shed and is just for drinks, is self service and infested with wasps.
If you do still go to the hotel after reading this, you will find your fridge is stocked with a bottle of water. This bottle will not be replaced if you finish it before the end of the week, just remember "When its gone its gone".
Entertainment is very poor, the singers are quite good for the night time, although they had no outside entertainers in at all the whole week and the pool side quizzes are a bit of a joke as you have to leave the pool side to take part! I thought pool side quiz was one that you could do at the pool side???
The room I had was very good as I had paid £448 extra for the suite with sea view, that’s where it ends, good room "Full stop"!
Buses to Pula are from the stop just across the road, although they only run every 1.5 hours and the last bus back is about 8pm otherwise it will be about £30 in a taxi.
The WIFI at my end of the hotel was quite hit and miss although the signal was quite good in the reception area.
To sum up I would say overall it was not good. The last hotel of Thomson’s that I stayed at in Majorca that was actually better overall than this one was taken off the Thompson line up the end of the year that I stayed there.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are cramped, Suites are spacious, have plenty of wardrobe space, a side balcony and b...
3 Thank Tom M
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your impressions on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear that your overall experience wasn't satisfying and that most of our services weren’t in line with your expectations. In regards to the miniature train service, please note that we have the train that operates along the beachfront; hence, we are sorry that you didn't ask our receptionist to show you the train stops.
In regards to the entertainment/animation part, please note that as per our concept „couples only“ the entertainment is very low key which means that all activities are unobtrusive and their task is to create a relaxing atmosphere as an additional value to the overall holiday.
Your comments related to our gastronomic offer will be shared within our management team and our Food & Beverage Manager.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to see you in the future in one of our facilities!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Just returned from one week stay in the above Hotel.I am giving this review as I see it for myself and others I travelled with. I expect someone will make a remark. The Hotel was really lovely and spotlessly clean throughout. The outside pool area was cleaned thoroughly every evening. A few stupid people put towels on the sun loungers .Even though there were plenty to go round, and they were English and not Germans or Russians.I thought the food to be repetitive. It was the second time I have done all inclusive. I would think twice about it in future.
I really didn't think much of the resort of Mendulin. In fact I and the others got quite bored half way through the week. Its alright if you want to lounge around the pool all day.every day.
I thought the selection of drinks on the all inclusive deal was very poor, not quite like the Riu Tikida Dunas in Agadir which I would highly recommend.
Now I wait for any other remarks I may get. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view otherwise you get the car park
3 Thank 926christopher
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are happy to know that you found the hotel really lovely and spotlessly clean throughout.
On a more negative note, we are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy our gastronomic offer. Therefore, we’ll share all of your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager and related departments.
We hope to have the chance to serve you in the future!

Europe
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Spent a week here late September. The many favourable reviews on tripadvisor helped enormously in choosing this hotel. The outstanding features of a stay at this hotel are firstly the staff and also the cleanliness, high standard and modern appearance inside the hotel. The staff in the dining room and at the bar and reception are great, can't help you enough. The location of the hotel is great being a stones throw from the sea shore and surrounded by green grass. There is also easy access to the bus stop, a local supermarket and to the old town. The season seemed to be over in late September so it was fairly quiet in terms of watersports and beach cafes. The walks around the coastline are very pleasant and to be truthful there isn't much else to do in Medulin so it is a very relaxing place to stay'
On the Thomson all inclusive (all inclusive lite, I would call it !) you get the full choice of food in the restaurant but are very limited in the quality and range of the drinks both in the restaurant and at the bar. However if the quality/ branding of the drinks are not of much concern to you, you will find that there is all day service of drinks at the bar and also white wine, lager and soft drinks on tap for self service in the bar/lounge area.
The food is generally very good, I would say getting near the top end of what you could expect in a 4star hotel with A/I. There were a couple of nights when ,to me, the meat/fish choices were a bit disappointing but on other nights it was very good. The ice cream is also very good and I would guess this reflects the historical Italian influence in this area of Croatia. The restaurant wine will not please anyone who enjoys a good glass of wine with a meal, it is just about adequate but do remember it is Thomson's ( all inclusive Lite !) who set the levels of quality by setting the price. We thought the one visit you get on this holiday to the Italian restaurant was really good. Not huge portions but a good choice of dishes and very good standard of cooking and presentation. If you choose to forgo the A/I wine on this occasion, the minimum price of a bottle of red wine is about £16-17.
Another point often made in reviews is the small size of the rooms. We paid the extra for the sea view and do not regret it but it is a small room, just about manageable if you don't take huge suitcases with you. I endorse what others have said about the bathroom and shower, excellent ! The flat screen t/v is a large one and BBC/ITV is available.
We went on one Thomson trip, "Best of Istria". This had good comments in the reviews and was promoted as a Gold Medal trip. We were very disappointed with this trip. It is essentially an all day bus ride with a too short a stop Rovijn ( apologies if my spelling is incorrect ). After the guided trip into the centre you had to be very quick to find time to grab a cup of coffee never mind have a look around the harbour. At the second of three stops you get lunch at a farmhouse in a small village. This was a very commercial operation , two full coachloads of people piled in at the same time and the food was extremely poor. We sat on tables of twelve people and no one on our table thought the meal any good. There was a third stop at a very small but pretty hilltop medieval village where there was time to get a drink, I thought £50 for this trip excessive.
To use the local bus for a trip to Pula is very easy and the hotel has the timetable and they will tell you where to go for the bus. At Pula there is one of those red bus tours of the town, hop on- hop off style at about £9 because Pula is a small town with only 7 stops . Useful if you want to have a good look around before looking at the harbour or town centre.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and if you want to go to Medulin we recommend you stay here. Whilst I am generally complimentary about Park Plaza I must mention one niggle.
I can't understand why a hotel would provide tea/coffee facilities in a room and then not bother to replace initial small ration of tea/coffee when it has run out. Surely the added cost of that is minimal and not to do it reflects badly on the hotel. Didn't use the swimming pool but was much taken by the "floating bean bags" that were big enough to lie on. They looked a very comfortable way of getting a sun tan !
One last comment on the weather in the last half of September 2013. On several nights there was a thunderstorm with lots of lightning and rain but this didn't continue into the daytime and the ground dried out fairly quickly. The temperature was warm to quite warm, occasionally there was a cool wind and this closed the outdoor restaurant seating area one morning as everthing would have blown off the tables. We only had one day when it rained and this cleared up by about 2;00 pm. All in all we had a very pleasant week in Medulin

Room Tip: Sea view rooms seem to be about £70/week extra in late Sept. So it depends how much you appreciate h...
10 Thank Micheled
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Park Plaza Medulin for your stay. We are happy to hear that you overall week with us was pleasant and that you found our hotel with modern appearance.
Please note that we replace the tea/coffee machine every morning and on request even in the afternoon. Therefore, we are sorry that during your stay you didn’t mention anything to our receptionist who would be more than happy to help. As per the room size, it reflects the European standards of a 4 star hotel; we are sorry to hear that you find it small.
Even though your stay wasn’t 100% satisfactory, we hope you’ll give us the opportunity to welcome you in the future for an even more pleasant stay!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We are here in the Park Plaza as I write this review... It is a lovely chilled out holiday .. The weather is gorgeous the food Is plentiful and hot.. The wine fine, both red and white... The staff are very welcoming and everywhere is spotlessly clean.. I don't know what some people want from a holiday but some of the reviews are clearly over exaggerated .. It really is worth a visit... Must get back to my comfy sunbed now.

7 Thank granhan
Arenaturist, Management at Sensimar Medulin, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive nice compliments about our hotel and staff, because they all try very hard to exceed the expectations of our guest.
We wish you a nice continuing of the holiday!

Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just Got Back After 2 Weeks At The Park Plaza Medulin 10th to the 24th Sept 13, As Already Mentioned Superb On All Counts ! Spotlessly Clean, Staff So Polite And On Hand To Satisfy Your Thirst Or Hunger, Special Thanks To Reception, Slavin,Tomaz Davos And Colleagues At The Bar ,Milan And All His Staff In The Restaurant, Chefs Supplying Us With A Variety Of Good Hot Food Day After Day,Special Thanks To The Waiters And Waitresses For Their Hard Work And Dedication. Would Reccomend Whole Heartedly. Just One Gripe About The Drink Policy, When I Have Paid For All Inclusive I expect All Inclusive I Do Not Appreciate Being Asked To Pay For A Dry Martini And A Bottle Of 7Up, So To The Bar Manager I Would Like To Say Please Change This Polcy. Apart From That A thougherly Restful Fortnight .

4 Thank ROBERT N
Dear Rita and Bob,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are happy to hear that you found our hotel spotlessly clean, our gastronomic offer good and our staff polite and friendly. We will share all of your nice comments with our personnel and in particular Slaven, Tomaz, Davor and Milan.
Your comments about the beverage offer will be shared with our Food & Beverage Manager and hopefully soon we'll change some of the policies.
We wish you all the best and look forward to host you anytime soon in our hotel!

Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We wanted to go somewhere we'd never been before so chose Croatia. We studied Trip Advisor and chose Park Plaza Medulin based on the excellent reviews. Glad we did as it was just what we needed for a quiet, relaxing break. We have been to a few Thomson Gold hotels in the past, but this was our first Thomson Couples. The basic difference in our opinion is that there is a lot more entertainment and daytime activities in Thomson Gold hotels. The entertainment in this Couples Hotel is much more low key with the resident duo - DNA - playing quietly in a lounge each evening until 11 p.m. I expect during the warmer summer months they may play outside on the terrace. The reason we found the hotel so relaxing is because everything stops at 11 p.m. encouraging guests to tootle off to bed - as I say - a relaxing chill-out. So if you're looking for later nights with more entertainment, then perhaps Thomson Gold would be a better choice. Everything about the hotel is good, from the excellent Reception check-in through to choice of meals and food cooked well. The cleaners were the quietest of any hotel we have stayed in and kept everything spotless. Our room (425) was next to the lift on the top floor overlooking the car park, but the noise from the lift didn't bother us much and the benefit was a huge balcony with a panoramic view of the old town, church, distant village and we could even see a little bit of the sea through the trees. As has been mentioned in many other reviews, the beds and pillows are extremely comfortable. Here are a couple of bullet-points which may help if you do book this hotel:-
* On transfer from hotel the Rep told us that the tap water was completely safe to drink (first time we've experienced this as we usually buy bottled water), However the tap water is very safe and neither of us experienced any tummy problems through drinking it. In fact, it was quite nice.
* the free pool towels are not very big and as the sun loungers are the large rattan style loungers with plastic mattresses, you may wish to take one of your own otherwise your skin will stick to the plastic.
* shampoo, shower gel, mouthwash and body lotion bottles are replenished when used in the bathroom, but bar of soap was not, so you might want to take a bar of soap.
* I was told by another guest that the all-inclusive package did not include whiskey and nor could a premium brand be brought. As a whiskey drinker, he bought a bottle in a local supermarket.
* We arrived on 17th September and already a lot of the resort stalls and bars seemed to have closed for the season, so it was very quiet. Medulin itself isn't very big in any event.
* Sea shoes are needed as the beach area is all pebbles/stone. However, the sea was much warmer than the water temperature in the hotel pool.
* There is a kettle in the room, but after using the initial tea/coffee it wasn't replenished but that's not a problem as teabags / coffee can be brought from the bar area and the bar staff pour cold milk without any problem. This can be kept in the room fridge.
* Red and white wine is OK but doubt if you'd like it if you prefer sweet wines . The only beer was a version of lager and again, we found it drinkable.
* Take your own coat hangers. There are two small wardrobes in the room and neither will accommodate a full length dress and only 5 hangers in each. No drawers at all so we lived out of the suitcase for everything else.
Everything else about the wonderful Reps and staff has been mentioned in so many other reviews. All in all, if you are looking for a quiet break, without music blaring around the pool all day long so you can read in peace and lazily snooze - this hotel should be exactly what you're looking for.

Room Tip: There are four floors and the views from each vary quite a bit, so it;s pot luck. Room 425 (road si...
9 Thank 427ccfcfan
Dear Guest,

It is such a pleasure to receive a nice and detailed review from a Senior Contributor! Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions on TripAdvisor.
We are pleased to hear that you spend a nice, relaxing holidays with us – having the Couples only concept, we try to keep the entertainment low key so that our guest can benefit from the overall idea and relax completely during their stay.
That being said, we would like to wish you all the best and we look forward to welcome you anytime soon in our facility!

The Park Plaza Medulin Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medulin
Park Plaza Belvedere Medulin
#1 of 23 in Rovinj
Island Hotel Istra
Island Hotel Istra
#5 of 23 in Rovinj

Been to Sensimar Medulin? Share your experiences!