“great place to stay, especially if looking for an effiency room”

Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
Reviewed December 18, 2010

we stayed here five nights while visting our son, who is in the Marines. The landscape was beautiful and the place was very well kept. We didn't have any problems with the neighbors or noise. The beds were very comfortable. There was a flat screen tv in the living room/kitchen area AND one in the bedroom. The bathroom was nice and had plenty of hot water. There is also a pool, game room and gym, but we weren't able to take advantage of them. We highly recommend this place, especially if you are staying for a week or more.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park

Reviewed December 15, 2010

Rooms were well equipped and comfortable. Full kitchen, refrigerator, microwave etc. Quiet neighborhood Friendly staff. Great value. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2010

This is a unique and charming motel. The location was great for our visit to Joshua Tree National Park. The accomodations were very comfortable. The kitchen facilities were nice even though we didn't have a chance to use them. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
SunnyvaleSuites, Owner at Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We are glad you had a wonderful experience in staying here. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

We came to 29 Palms to visit our relatives. There is not enough room in the house so my uncle recommended Sunnyvale Garden Suites. I've always trusted my uncle and once again, he hit a homerun.

The hotel is clean and well maintained. The bed is very comfortable and I slept like a baby. The room has a living room so you can relax and watch TV. It also has a kitchen so I was able to heat up aunt's turkey.

If you visit the hotel now, you will also be treated with a christmas light show that dances with the music. You don't even have to step out of your car just park, turn on your radio, tune in to 88.7 (if I remember correctly), and watch the show from your warm, heated car.

Sunnyvale Garden Suites is probably the most unusual hotel I've ever stayed in. The whole property is decorated and landscaped like an old western movie set. As a beginning photography hobbyist, it's great! There's an interesting photo subject in every square foot of this property. I was able to take lots of pictures and got plenty of practice.

As I was taking some pictures, Tony, the hotel manager saw me and we started talking about photography. As it turns out, Tony is also into photography. As a newbie, I learned a lot from Tony which greatly improved a lot of my shots.

I also found out from Tony that the hotel is very close to the Joshua Tree National Park. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to visit. I will definitely come back and take some photographs at Joshua Tree.

Aunt's cooking, Joshua Tree, and Sunnyvale Garden Suites; perfect recipe for a relaxing weekend getaway.

I would recommend this place to anyone especially those who are into photography. You will have plenty of photo opportunity during sunrise, sunset, daytime, and at night. You can then head to Joshua Tree National Park to take more pictures.

Look for Tony! Very nice guy.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Wow! The pictures you took are great. They don't look like they were taken by a beginning photographer. You have a gift of looking at things that translates into great photographs. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and your pictures. We hope you come back in spring to take pictures of Joshua Tree National Park, its flowering cacti and wild flowers.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay at Sunnyvale. The staff was exceptionally friendly and accomidating. At check in, we received a tour of the grounds. A nest was even pointed out for our childrens enjoyment! Our suite had an ample supply of cookware and dishes. Even the beds were comfortable! The hotel provides seperate receptacles for recyclables and our room had low water use toilets!
We have a large family of 7 and have a cat. We found nothing else in the area that even compares to Sunnyvalle. Great environmentally friendly extended stay solution!!

• Stayed: November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I will relay to the staff that they are doing a good job.

We are proud that we are helping save the environment. All of the rooms have the dual flush toilets. These toilets saves over 60% in water usage. I believe we are the only hotel in California if not in the US that has this type of toilet. Also, during our kitchen renovations, instead of replacing our cabinets, we decided to save them and just re-finish and install new doors to them. It is a more time consuming and more expensive process but it is helping in cutting more trees. We am glad that our guests are appreciating our efforts. Thank you.

Reviewed November 10, 2010

We stayed one night as we were travelling from LA to Flagstaff and wanted a location that was convenient to visit Joshua Tree National Park. This is an ideal spot to stay as it is close to the highway and convenient to enter the Park. we were met by the Manager and given a tour of the Hotel. Our room was large and comfortable with cooking facilities, We had decided to eat in the room and called at Von's Supermarket on the way to the Hotel (don't forget to get a savings card from Von's to get CASH discounts on some of the items you buy). This worked out well although we could have done with a larger saucepan. We also cooked our breakfast before we left as we had a long drive ahead.
We would recommend this Hotel if you are looking for somewhere convenient to stay for a visit to Joshua National Park.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank di947red

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We hope to see you again next time you visit Joshua Tree National Park.

Reviewed November 7, 2010

Trying to wrap my head about how BEST to describe this unique motel, condo refinished, B&B... Or? A friend who helped me find this (and GET GOOD directions because IT CAN be hard to find especially at dusk!) asked me, "Did you see Psycho?" - no, it isn't exactly like the 'Bates Motel' in any way - HOWEVER.
First, I arrived at or about 5:15PM and no one was on premise. I used a phone upon reading directions (I'd been in Joshua Tree all day, hiking, climbing and exerting energy and I was tired) and a woman said, "Okay, I'll be right there..." She was almost, but... The check in process was okay and I asked about "Tony", "Oh he's here sometimes." Hmmm, okay, "Well, is someone on the premises most of the time?", Answer, "Sometimes"..
The yard, the exterior is nicely landscaped in a "mining motif" and IT WORKS well. Wood, old mining ore carts, boarded off "Danger" signs, it is all landscaped as you find your way (I was guided) around the units on a nice brick path... flowers, bushes and the constant motif make is very unique (old hanging mining lights would be a good idea just to play it up)...
I stayed at the "Prospector" unit... a 'studio' type room (and BTW, Internet is not free) with the dining, kitchen and sleeping area all in one. The table and floor were covered in some kind of white crumb/dust type and the young lady was apologetic, said she'd get it cleaned up right away. Off to dinner for me ("The Rib Co") and then back in the dark to find my way to this well hidden converted Condo set up. Parking is in the 'rear' and it is covered and spacious... but I only knew that my unit was near the back (the units names might be printed in 'white' paint on the parking structures so that guests would know at least approx where to park) and so I parked, walked about to the unit, discovering I'd parked too far and moved the car, unpacked into the still not vacuumed unit. It was late, the crumbs were under the table and I didn't care (they were off the table top!).
Appointments were as advertised. Kitchen and all that stuff certainly passable. The couch was thread bare. The TV, although offering a good selection of channels, was snowy on most but I was going to sleep.. or so I thought. While the location was wonderfully quiet, the bed side away from the wall (the side closest to the door, kitchen, bathroom, etc) had a well worn 'dent' in the mattress and sagged. I slept crosswise all night and did get some zeees but think someone ought to replace or at least flip that mattress. The walls had some pretty obvious scuffs and dark marks and, for the price, I did not expect the Presidential Suite, simple cleaning and maintenance would go a long way in improving the 'first impression'. Bathroom and tub, sun type shower head, very nice, were adequate and there was plenty of hot water. The Suites are "green" and that is a good touch but still there are 'many' areas of improvement that could be done simply and for almost nothing. BTW, some folks mention a 'view'... there are second floor units that would have a view, mine did not and if you are looking for a view of what can be a beautiful desert, get something higher!
Overall, given the location and so forth, this is a unique place to spend the night. The rate is not inexpensive (nearly $100) and I'd say that perhaps it is more than you are getting... but it is Twenty Nine Palms. But #1 ? I guess I'd have to see other locations but I can only give this an average rating based on many locations I've (we've) stayed and what we paid for and received. But it is unique! Recommend it to a friend... oh, jeez, that is a hard one. I guess I might recommend a 'room with a view' but NOT the room I stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo