Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
Edmonton
“Stay Elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here because we wanted a place with character and to avoid the chain hotels. It does have character and it also has a very pleasant and helpful host. Otherwise, we found little to recommend this hotel. The place just generally has a sense of grubbiness and could use a good cleaning. It feels like the furniture has been picked up at a second hand store. Nothing matches and some pieces have seen much better days. The deadbolt on the main door cannot be locked from the outside and the doorbell has been half pulled off the wall. There is just a general sense of the place having been roughly treated. If we were to return, we would not stay here. But would probably check out places like the Holiday Inn. There, you might have to put up with road noise but it would still be a better stay. And, at $160 per night, Sunnyvale certainly isn't good value. You can d better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SunnyvaleSuites, Manager at Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Your feedback is much appreciated. Your honest comment is very helpful in allowing us to improve our facility. We have fixed the hanging door bell. The deadbolt is designed to be locked from the inside only, as an additional indicator that the guest is inside and does not want to be disturbed. Some guests forget to put the "do not disturb sign" on the outside door knob. We have addressed with our staff the other details of your review, again we thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel to go visit the Joshua Tree National Park. There are good things about the place: it was clean, there were a bedroom plus kitchen, a table to eat and a couch where they had the tv/dvd. The reason I choose the place was because they allowed dogs.
As other people said the hotel is in a quiet place.
I think if I found better rates somewhere else I would not stay in this place again unless I was moving to the base and need an extended stay. The reason is I didn't need all that space that I was paying for. If I'm just visiting a place I just need a clean room with a bed and a hot shower. Hot water was one thing that I couldn't get in their shower...and the weather was cold. If you visit in the winter at night it's cold and their heater is in the hall and didn't really warm the room.I'm glad I decided to take my down blanket just in case. They charge U$ 35.00 one time cleaning fee if you take your dog with you. I stayed in many hotels before with my dog that didn't charge anything extra for the dog. Although I paid for 2 nights I decided to come back home early so I could take a nice hot shower.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is great! It is located away from the hotel strip in a quite neighborhood. My boyfriend and I stayed in a Junior Suite. It has a full kitchen and also has a patio with BBQ grill. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. According to them, this is their smallest room. It is bigger than standard rooms in a regular hotel. As I said, I am glad we found this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gina P
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I want to start out by saying that there are very few choices of fancy hotels in 29 Palms. It feel like a border town with most hotels on the main drag/freeway.

Sunnyvale Gardens is tucked away in a residential area, away from the freeway noise and street lights. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which was very spacious. Tony the owner is very accommodating and friendly. Our dog Cleo was welcomed and there was a lot of space for her to run around and explore (supervised of course).

If you plan to do any cooking we suggest that you bring your own pans since the kitchen items were bare bones.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hghilzai
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Check out this place! It's wonderful, with friendly management, good rates and a totally unique look outside. The owner has obviously invested a lot of work in preparing the grounds, with desert plants, winding walkways and "Old West" bric-a-brac. Each unit is very private, with a little patio and barbecue. The units are really small apartments, designed for long-term stay. Each has a full kitchen, with utensils and equipment. We stayed 3 nights and did not want to cook, so most of the kitchen amenities were not used by us. The bathroom is small with an overhead shower spigot, which is not my favorite style. No tub. The main negative to the place is that it is not a walkable distance to anything else in town. But then, the whole town of 29 Palms is widely spread out and not made for walking. There is no real "downtown" or central business section. If you are prepared to eat in, or to drive out whenever you want to eat or get a drink, then this place will do fine. It certainly struck us as far more "homey", friendly, and certainly more unique than anything else along the highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no other room upstairs. It will be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Franz M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Wow! This hotel has a lot going on. The property has this cool western theme. I am a photography hobbyist and there is a lot of things to take picture of inside the property.

They have a Christmas light show at night that is synchronized with music.

The room was very nice with granite countertops. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night sleep.

I would definitely stay here again a recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Tony, thanks for the hospitality.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Allan S
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I loved this getaway from the Marine Corps base when I came to visit the weekend of 10/05/12 (way better than the barracks for my husband!) We stayed in "black rock". I think we had the smallest suite and it was still great. We got a saver rate on it so from Saturday afternoon to tuesday morning we really got a deal on the price, less than you would spend for a one room hotel in the area! Had a good sized bathroom which had an eco friendly toilet, tub/shower and sink with mirror. There's a nice sized and comfortable living room/kitchenette area. Had pots, pans, utensils etc for cooking as well as a table that seated two against the wall to eat at. It had a full sized refrigerator/freezer. The place was very CLEAN. The bed was very comfortable, it had to be pillowtop mattress. The sheets were very soft. There was carpet in the bedroom as well as nightstands, a good size closet, table lamps and a flatscreen tv. The tv in the living room had a working dvd player. The air conditioning unit was phenomonal. We didn't use the hot tub but there is one there. Theres a laundrymat there, bring your own detergent though as well as about $3.00 in quarters, if you don't have them then the manager and staff will gladly make change for you. The manager is a very sweet man, always greeted us when we were going out for a walk and asked how our stay was going. His staff was very nice any time we saw eachother as well. As far as pests go, no mice/rodents and nothing out of the ordinary for being in the middle of the desert as far as a bug here or there. And just in case you do see a bug they kindly left spray in the one cabinet so you're not defenseless. :D

Room Tip: "Black Rock" was good if there are only two people, otherwise from the looks of the room l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twentynine Palms
BEST WESTERN Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park
BEST WESTERN Gardens Hotel at Jo...
#3 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twentynine Palms- Joshua Tree
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twe...
#5 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynine Palms-Joshua Tree National Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynin...
#1 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#7 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
9 Palms Inn
9 Palms Inn
#9 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
BEST WESTERN Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites

Been to Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park? Share your experiences!