Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is great! It is located away from the hotel strip in a quite neighborhood. My boyfriend and I stayed in a Junior Suite. It has a full kitchen and also has a patio with BBQ grill. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. According to them, this is their smallest room. It is bigger than standard rooms in a regular hotel. As I said, I am glad we found this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gina P

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I want to start out by saying that there are very few choices of fancy hotels in 29 Palms. It feel like a border town with most hotels on the main drag/freeway.

Sunnyvale Gardens is tucked away in a residential area, away from the freeway noise and street lights. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which was very spacious. Tony the owner is very accommodating and friendly. Our dog Cleo was welcomed and there was a lot of space for her to run around and explore (supervised of course).

If you plan to do any cooking we suggest that you bring your own pans since the kitchen items were bare bones.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hghilzai
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Check out this place! It's wonderful, with friendly management, good rates and a totally unique look outside. The owner has obviously invested a lot of work in preparing the grounds, with desert plants, winding walkways and "Old West" bric-a-brac. Each unit is very private, with a little patio and barbecue. The units are really small apartments, designed for long-term stay. Each has a full kitchen, with utensils and equipment. We stayed 3 nights and did not want to cook, so most of the kitchen amenities were not used by us. The bathroom is small with an overhead shower spigot, which is not my favorite style. No tub. The main negative to the place is that it is not a walkable distance to anything else in town. But then, the whole town of 29 Palms is widely spread out and not made for walking. There is no real "downtown" or central business section. If you are prepared to eat in, or to drive out whenever you want to eat or get a drink, then this place will do fine. It certainly struck us as far more "homey", friendly, and certainly more unique than anything else along the highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no other room upstairs. It will be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Franz M
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Wow! This hotel has a lot going on. The property has this cool western theme. I am a photography hobbyist and there is a lot of things to take picture of inside the property.

They have a Christmas light show at night that is synchronized with music.

The room was very nice with granite countertops. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night sleep.

I would definitely stay here again a recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Tony, thanks for the hospitality.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Allan S
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I loved this getaway from the Marine Corps base when I came to visit the weekend of 10/05/12 (way better than the barracks for my husband!) We stayed in "black rock". I think we had the smallest suite and it was still great. We got a saver rate on it so from Saturday afternoon to tuesday morning we really got a deal on the price, less than you would spend for a one room hotel in the area! Had a good sized bathroom which had an eco friendly toilet, tub/shower and sink with mirror. There's a nice sized and comfortable living room/kitchenette area. Had pots, pans, utensils etc for cooking as well as a table that seated two against the wall to eat at. It had a full sized refrigerator/freezer. The place was very CLEAN. The bed was very comfortable, it had to be pillowtop mattress. The sheets were very soft. There was carpet in the bedroom as well as nightstands, a good size closet, table lamps and a flatscreen tv. The tv in the living room had a working dvd player. The air conditioning unit was phenomonal. We didn't use the hot tub but there is one there. Theres a laundrymat there, bring your own detergent though as well as about $3.00 in quarters, if you don't have them then the manager and staff will gladly make change for you. The manager is a very sweet man, always greeted us when we were going out for a walk and asked how our stay was going. His staff was very nice any time we saw eachother as well. As far as pests go, no mice/rodents and nothing out of the ordinary for being in the middle of the desert as far as a bug here or there. And just in case you do see a bug they kindly left spray in the one cabinet so you're not defenseless. :D

Room Tip: "Black Rock" was good if there are only two people, otherwise from the looks of the room l...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I arrived on a Wednesday.
I had paid in advance for four days ($ 89 per night plus tax) but there was a misunderstanding about the floor I wanted (second floor) where there turned out to be no single rooms.
I really wanted a balcony instead of a patio so I paid an extra $ 40 plus tax per night.

Because I had a bad cold I decided to drive around Joshua Tree Park the next morning and spend the afternoon sitting on my balcony reading and then napping.
I got back there around noon.
There was some heavy construction work going on at the motel. It was so noisy that sitting outside was no option and taking a nap was impossible.
It was already going on when I returned to the motel around noon, stopped at 2 PM and then started again the next morning at quarter to 8:00.
When I got back the next day at 1.30 PM the manager Tony (who was always very nice) asked if the noise was bothering me.
Of course it was! He offered to have it stopped and when I left he apologized that he hadn't noticed my coming back on Thursday so early.

The apartment is fine though the furniture is a but rundown and old fashioned.
What I didn't like about the apartment: the floor wasn't clean.
I like to walk barefoot and things kept sticking to my feet. I told the maid the next day and she cleaned the apartment floor - sort of.
Lots of stuff remained sticking to the floor (and to my feet) - not nice. I had the impression that after that one time the apartment wasn't vacuumed again let alone mopped.

Overall I was wondering if there was any serious maid service or if the only thing provided were occasional fresh towels.
I asked the maid I ran into and she told me she would provide new towels and take out the trash and if I would like that: make the bed.
That seemed to be about it.

What I did like: there is a nice big refrigerator.
Lots of tv channels as well including MSNBC which I love.
And: there is a really cute small desert garden around the motel.
You can see birds (lots of quail) and rabbits.

Overall I thought the apartment was nice if a bit run down but very expensive also considering the erratic maid service.
I must admit that the longer I was staying there the more I liked it, really enjoying my quiet hours on my balcony reading and looking at the birds and the rabbits - and the less the lack of cleanliness bothered me.

When I was checking out Tony offered to show me where on the premises a cactus wren was building a nest and told me where to stand so I could take a picture. I was in luck and took a photo that is kind of nice.
We also discussed the importance of living green and how Tony tries to make the motel as 'green' as possible - which I really liked.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JDm452
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A delightful experience. More than just a room for the night (that's all we had time for) but a whole experience which we found very much to our liking.
When reading reviews I suggest that one checks the dates as there is obviously a program of improvement and renovation in place so potential guests need to be sure that they have the uptodate info.
A few shortcomings in our accommodation include: no wine glasses, no sink plug in kitchen, would have liked a table for the terrace and the WC failed to flush the morning we were leaving. However, would definitely stay again and recommend to others.
The desert garden worked well and the feature lighting around the gardens was nice when returning after dark, so much so that we enjoyed sitting out on our terrace with an after dinner drink before turning in.
The climate at this time of the year is sublime, hot but dry - little humidity
Thank you for an enjoyable stop.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple