Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We had one last day with our Marine son and was so happy we had booked a room here. We cooked steaks on the grill, made corn on the cob, enjoyed sitting on our porch in the lawn chairs! Our son loved the relaxing feel it had to it and grocery store was close by for us to get our food for our BBQ. I was so surprised at the full kitchen, that made everything we wanted to do so easy. Everything was clean to use.I would recommend this place to anyone. It was not your regular motel room, just had a homey feel to it and all the flowering shrubs and flowers were so pretty around it. Our Marine felt so relaxed after staying there, when he had to go back on base. I wish we could of stayed another day and so did our son! You can't beat the price, was cheaper than our other rooms we stayed in other places on our visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank marinemom_12

Reviewed May 18, 2012

It was like a home for me and I'm so glad I stayed in Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel. We really enjoyed our stay, my husband and his friends enjoyed the "karaoke". Restaurant and groceries is so near to the place. Someday we will visit and stay again in Sunnyvale Garden Suite Hotel. I encourage you to go and try and you'll love it. For other infornation about your business needs, Tony the owner is so helpful.

Room Tip: Upper suites are so nice and you could see the views around. Even on the lower suites, they are nice...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank marloella
Reviewed April 29, 2012

From the outside, the hotel looks nice: western style and ' old'. Unfortunately, the room we had really was a bit wornout and shabby. It did not look very clean and at the end of the evening, we discovered a cochroach in the sitting room / kitchen. That, and the fact that the windows couldn't be closed properly, made us have a bad night. This hotel could be very OK (having kitchens and private gardens with each suite), but it certainly needs a big make-over. At this moment, it is quite overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank runtheglobe
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I've never heard of Twentynine Palms and when my friend invited me to come to Twentynine Palms, we stayed at Sunnyvale Garden Suites. This is like a home away from home and the best part is that it is very relaxing place. The owner,Tony is very caring and super nice. They are hands on and really takes good care of their guest which you won't find in big hotels. The rooms are very nice, very affordable and comfortable. It even boasts a park like landscaping with benches, palm trees and other flowering plants.....I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a place to stay on your way to Joshua National Park.

Room Tip: I recommend the room name "Wagon Wheel" with the balcony overlooking the pool and also wit...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Looked forward to non, big-chain hotel to experience local flavor.

After long day's travel, came to hotel with imaginatively decorated/landscaped grounds. Amazing.  (Wished I'd time to explore, but it was getting dark.) Personable host checked me in & showed 1st floor room, which appeared just as on web site photos. No problem. Contented, tired, I bring in luggage. Begin unpacking, settling in -- usual routine.

Grabbed plate from kitchen; it felt greasy, unclean. Tried another plate, another -- one after the other, dishware, glasses, cups, silverware -- everything was greasy. Loaded full-size dishwasher with everything; ran washer & proceeded to clean up kitchen.

(Noticed vat-sized container of insecticide under cabinet & dismissively thought the exterminator must have forgotten it.)

Resumed unpacking & attempted to turn on ventilation system, which made deafeningly loud jet-engine like noise -- but did indeed cool the room.

Returned to kitchen shocked to discover water leaking from dishwasher. Put down kitchen towels to soak up water & re-check dishwasher door to ensure it was closed  properly (which it was).

Returned to bedroom to finish unpacking & lie down briefly to relax & watch a little TV. Turned on cathode ray tube TV, which was snowy. Changed channels with remote to see if a different station had better reception -- no luck. Remote stopped working; manually turned off TV.

Went into kitchen. Finished cleaning up kitchen floor after dishwasher ran through cycle. Emptied dishwasher, put away all kitchenware.

Placed food on newly cleaned plate. Went to sit on sofa to relax & eat. Sat down & rapidly, deeply *sank* into sofa cushion  -- descended into seemingly bottomless pit -- nearly dropped plate out of my hand.

After crawling out of sofa pit, chose to sit on kitchen chair -- tested with hand 1st (to ensure safety) -- and ate meal at table.

Got up from table to open blind by sliding glass door (in living room) & one of the blind blades fell off. Examined blade closely & noticed its latch spot was broken. (The blade was merely placed there to "appear" fine.)

Saw gaps by sliding glass door & under front door; thought the heat from outside must come in through those gaps & likewise the cool air from inside must seep outside. That reminded me to turn off the jet engine cooling system at this point because I was nearly deaf & half dead from exhaustion. I needed sleep.

Who knows what woke me up from dead sleep, but since awake, it seemed good use of time to prep for tomorrow's work.

Proceeded to kitchen table, but some movement in living room caught my eye. (Must be imagining things; I'm overly tired.) Re-focused on work & found my attention drawn away again by movement
in living rm. Apparently under-door gaps are invitation for small wildlife to come visit; amusing & interesting at 1st until it took Kafkaesque-turn.

After washing off blood, packed up work & rest of bags, attempted to make graceful exit at morning light.

Kind host seemed genuinely distressed at my early departure, but I hadn't the time or energy to explain; I had to be at work within the half hour and find new habitable accommodations for the evening.

So much for going native.

I'm sure others have wonderful experiences at Sunnyvale, & what I've described are the mere whinings of the weak.

(Welcomed back into the coddling arms of big-chain hotel is exactly what I needed.)

Sunnyvale is best suited for the hearty.

• Stayed: July 2011
7  Thank gnomemoss
Reviewed April 27, 2012

A very relaxing little hotel off the beaten path in Twentynine Palms. Very close to the base, if you are visiting our troops.God bless em and bring em all home safe. Anyway, I was surprised at how large the rooms were. It looks like they used to be condos when first built. Complete with large kitchens,living rooms. Unfortunately, I was overcharged
on my credit card,so be aware of hidden internet fees, telephone calls, and possible cleaning fees. Yes the rooms are awesome but you pay for that. $150 a night (after taxes and the above hidden charges ). Wish me luck on my dispute.
Perfect pool and gameroom. Generous parking lot and refrigerator, flat screen TV. Had to take what they had due to most hotels in area filled up fast.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Ted B
Reviewed April 12, 2012

After searching for a place to stay for Easter weekend, Sunnyvale was one of the only choices left ... and I'm glad it was! The place is AWESOME! It's super close to the Joshua Tree park entrance off of Utah (super close to Jumbo Rocks).

Tony, the owner, was super friendly, helpful and had a GREAT demeanor. Really enjoyed talking with him ... answered all my questions honestly and effectively. The room, junior suite, was huge with a full kitchen and a new flat screen tv with dvd player. The grounds were well maintained and uniquely decorated in a old time-y western manner.

I highly recommend this place to anyone ... super affordable, comfortable, close to the park and UNIQUE. * I usually camp at Joshua Tree ... this was a nice change of pace, had a great experience as i usually do in the desert.

Room Tip: Stayed in "The Palm" - loved it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple