“Huge portions + leftovers to take hiking the next day!”
Review of Palm Kabob House

Palm Kabob House
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Description: An unexpected find in an out-of-the-way place. The entry point for Joshua Tree National Park, 29 Palms is also known for its Marine base. For some reason, Middle-Eastern folks who really know how to cook have landed there. They serve plenty of kabobs, kafta & shawarma; we stuck with the vegetarian food: lemon lentil soup, roasted cauliflower salad, and the absolutely best stuffed grape leaves I've ever eaten. Easy to say, I know, but seriously, these people understand how to spice food in a way that's both subtle and complex. A very satisfying meal.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

As other reviewers have said, the decor is nothing to get excited about. Kind of felt like a very polite fast food place when we came in, but it was filled with Marines eating huge plates of food, and they looked happy. I ordered the sampler plate… ohmygosh… Mediterranean heaven on Earth. Hummos, baba ganoush, stuffed grape leaves, pita and MORE. Couldn't even come close to finishing it, so into the cooler in the car, and it made for a fabulous picnic the next day while touring the National Park. Easy on the wallet too.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I ate there this evening and was pleasantly surprised. On entering it may seem a little bit sparse but my order was taken quickly and efficiently. Bottle of Corona and I accompanied it with the Lamb Shank served with rice and a curried kind of sauce which was proceeded by a fresh tangy salad. Lamb was "fall off the bone" good !~! All in all for $20.00 I could not have expected better. Happy to recommend and would be happy to eat there again if I am ever in 29 Palms (which I doubt I ever will be !)

Reviewed May 23, 2014

The nice lady at our hotel recommended this place as one of the best in town. It's a small place off the main drag and would not be easily spotted by tourist. The clientele seemed to be local this night. Big menu for a small place. Everything was super fresh tasting and the portions were huge. We ordered too much as we were hungry from a day of driving and short hikes from the Salton Sea or Joshua Tree. Super fresh salad. Nutty tangy hummus, smoky tangy baba ganoush. Real Fresh Dolmades. Succulent tender lamb kabobs and the best chicken shawarma I've ever had. Will probably have to go back to try more the 2nd night. Wish we had a place this good near home. Fresh!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

What a find in Twentynine Palms! The food was very good and there was plenty of it (had leftovers for lunch the next day but if you are hiking, you might eat it all). It recognizes the nearby Marine Corps base so the decorations are all military-themed and patriotic. We city slickers thought the prices were reasonable.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We are European and we’ve been more than once to countries like Slovenia, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, and so on. Being in Twentynine Palms for the Joshua Tree Park, we decided to eat here, a decision based on earlier reviews. We loved it! Partly it’s like being in Greece or Turkey, but others details give away that you are still in the USA. We ate here for two consecutive nights and if we would have staid longer, we would have come back. We had Shish Kebab, Gyros and Shawarma and it was all delicious. With the flavors from the Mediterranean, it’s different from the food tourists like us are likely find in the USA. Very good service from the waitress who works hard but still has an eye for you. The entrees make you start with a good salad too. Not a fancy place, but a good atmosphere, good service and delicious food!

1  Thank marcthea