“Our Second Visit to this Special Place”
Review of Campbell House

Campbell House
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The Roughley Manor is special in every way. The owners, Gary and Jan, set the tone for a wonderful experience. They are welcoming, efficient, informative, and friendly.

The rooms are immaculate, comfortable, spacious, and beautifully decorated. Each cottage, whether it is in the main building, one of the duplexes, the triplex, or is freestanding, is uniquely styled with a casual elegance.

Our spacious and gorgeous room (Cholla) was in the triplex called the Barn. It had two queen beds, two sofas, a plush chair, an armoire, a flat-screened TV sitting atop a dresser-like cabinet, a kitchenette with a microwave, a refrigerator, dishes, a coffee pot, utensils, and a dining table with four chairs. All the rooms have private bathrooms.

Patio and seating areas are spread out among many acres of lovely gardens and trees. They are plentiful, comfortable, and lovely. The pool inviting.

The main building has the great room where tea and coffee are available in the mornings and afternoons. The great room, where breakfast is served most of the time, has comfy sofas, board games, books,

I immensely enjoyed the fancy and delicious breakfasts prepared by Jan. The tables are set elegantly, and guests are usually served by Gary. One day, we had a yummy peach praline french toast, and the other day we had a tasty potato quiche.

I highly recommend the Roughley Manor to couples, friends, and singles. Its convenient proximity to Joshua National Park is one reason to choose this Bed and Breakfast. But, more importantly, it a very special place for romance, solitude, relaxation, and pampering.

The Sullivans

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty. The Oasis, Palms, and maybe the two rooms in the main house have king beds, s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VacationingChris

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Roughley Manor is an historic property conveniently located to the entrance of Joshua Tree National Park. The main house, where breakfast is served and where the office is located, is surrounded by well tended gardens and plenty of outdoor seating. Guest accommodations are freestanding, duplex, or triplex casitas located throughout the sprawling grounds. The rooms are comfortable and cozy. I would like them even better if they had larger windows to enjoy the desert views but this is not the style of the property. Breakfast was very good both mornings and was elegantly served. The breakfast hour is between 8:00 and 9:00 - it would be a shame to miss it, but is a little late for anyone wanting an early start in the park. Roughley Manor is deservedly popular and it may be difficult to reserve on weekends - please note that many activities in Joshua Tree National Park are not available on weekdays and dining options in Twentynine Palms are limited on Sunday and Monday.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ojerio
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This marble was found my coincidence coming out of Joshua Tree national park. We doubted that the satnav was right but then it appeared like a mirage in the desert.

To find this fantastic place was the last thing we expected. You know that overwhelmed good feeling when you just can't stop smiling?? well want some of that, go here, coz we had it and we didn't stop to smile until we have to drive of to our next destination the day after.
OK I'm setting your expectations high now, but they will be met, trust me.

So much passion and love goes into this place from the couple that run it. It's in every detail.
But to not spoil all the surprises I'll stop here and let you explore it yourself.

Can recommend to eat at the 29 Palms Inn, also a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JC_Swede
Reviewed May 7, 2014

It's hidden away but by far the best place to stay in Twenty-Nine Palms. My wife and I stayed in early Feb 2014 as part of a South-West USA road trip. The rooms are huge with comfy beds and Joshua Tree National Park is minuted away. The breakfast was also a highlight.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank O T B
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was by far the best place we have ever, and I mean EVER stayed in.

Breakfast was great, especially the presentation. The breakfast area is outside, but there are tables inside in case of weather. The tables lookes so formal the way they were set, and there is a "coffee/tea cart" that you can help yourself to. I have a nut allergy, and Jan/Gary accommodated that. As for the rooms, we stayed in the Oasis room. It really was an oasis! It made you feel so at home and comfortable. We had 3 people, so there was a roll-in bed at our arrival. Everything was well-kept and the color scheme in the room matched perfectly. Around the entire property, there were numerous sitting areas, and plenty of beautiful flowers, plants, and overall landscape. There was a pool, dartboard, and hot tub. When we were driving on the street, we thought, "Oh my goodness. What HAVE we got ourselves into." But as soon as we found the mailbox, the HUGE California Fan Palms came into view and we were relieved. This place is extremely close to Joshua Tree Natl Park, so when we wet into the park the next day, we looked down from the mountain, and if you look in the right area, you can see the big group of green in an oval. That's Roughley Manor for you. Amazing and THE place to stay. Sorry Cable Mountain Lodge, but you're now #2.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank SumBug82
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Normally, I stay in Palm Springs when I am on TDY to Twentynine Palms. However, this time around, there were no halfway decent hotels available at the government rate (due to spring break, I'm guessing). So, I decided to see what TripAdvisor and Yelp advised for a stay in Twentynine Palms. This place soared to the top of the list, so I decided, "Why not?" and gave it a try. I am so glad I did. This B&B is absolutely perfect! If you're traveling here for ANY reason, check to see if Roughly Manor has availability. If you are on TDY (TAD for Marines) as I was, they will offer the federal government rate (you must be on orders, though). So, onto the good and the bad:

The Good:

The room - Super clean and brimming with charm. I stayed in the Pool Bungalow Room. It looked exactly as pictured on the web site. The bed was very comfortable. All furniture was elegant and charming. There were antique pieces throughout the room perfectly selected to enhance the room. The amenities (soap, shampoo, lotion, etc) were quite pleasant. Even the dishes in the cupboard were unexpectedly high end.

The grounds - Beautifully landscaped and well kept. That about sums it up. There are so many trees, you won't have to worry about finding shade from the intense desert sun. From the manor's entrance, the grounds resemble an oasis in the desert.

The breakfast - So well done! They served a breakfast quiche over a leaf of romaine lettuce surrounded by bacon and fruit on my first morning and a lemon curd french toast with peaches worked in and a pansy petal placed on the whipped cream. The meals were so delicious, and the presentation left me in awe. The tables are located outdoors, and the sounds and scents of the gardens enhanced the whole experience. I should've applauded after I finished my breakfast - it was that spectacular.

The management - Jan and Gary are both wonderful, caring people. This is obviously reflected in the grounds, the rooms, and the meals they serve. Holding a conversation with either will only confirm this. Gary knew me by name at first glance, and bid me good morning the first time I saw him. That sort of personal attention is quite rare and very appreciated.

The Bad:

Not one single thing. This place really is quite perfect.

Bottom line - I absolutely loved this B&B. I think you'll be hard pressed to find its equal anywhere in the area (this includes Palm Springs). I wish the owners best of luck. They richly deserve it.

P.S. - There is no fitness room. I only mention this, because I accidentally clicked on the rating for a fitness room, and TripAdvisor does not offer a way to correct/void it once you start. Take note, there TripAdvisor!

Room Tip: There is no fitness center here. No big deal, of course. Just sayin' because I accidentally ra...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Palmer A
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was truly a wonderful experience from start to finish! Gary was very accommodating when I called to book at the last minute. My fortune that they had a room available! And not only that, but they were kind enough to upgrade me for my night.

I was making a brief visit to the area for the sole purpose of crossing the Joshua Tree National Park off my bucket list. I could not have chosen a better place to rest my head! The grounds are a lush haven in the middle of the desert offering a remarkable contrast in landscapes. It was very relaxing to walk around and take in the scenery. The weather was accommodating and we were able to have breakfast (delicious praline French toast!) outside on the patio. Even during my short visit, I met lovely guests on the grounds.

If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend Roughley Manor - you will not be disappointed!

Hint: Please use the directions in their website. My GPS took me on another route but Jan sent me in the right direction when I called them.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo