“Tourist Trap”

189 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 254 helpful votes
“Tourist Trap”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were so anxious to see this mysterious location, but all there is are shops, restaurants and requests for money. Everything seems to be built around what happened years ago. Other than that, the place has no character or personality.

2 Thank Stewart S

Dardenne Prairie, Missouri, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Ultimate peace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

There are not enough words to describe a visit to this village. The hospitality of the town, along with the spirit of peace felt the entire trip is not possible to convey in words. You have to go there for the experience, and then you will understand this special place.

3 Thank Pete O
New Zealand
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“A special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I decicded to visit Medjugore on my own. Having heard about it and thanks to other trip advisor contributers getting here went smoothly Caught the overnight train from Munich to Split took 2nd class was ok room to strech out if the cabins arent so full i was lucky. Stayed the night in Split a tourist seaside mecca caught the bus from Splt to Medjugore ...very peaceful .lots of historic and holy sites and definitely a holy place to pilgrim to. The local economy thrives off the tourists and pilgrims and deservedly so it is safe caters extremely well for the huge amount of visitors yet quiet and peaceful. And very reasonable prices. My room a double with bathroom and wireless 20euros per night.

2 Thank kaahu5
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Pilgrim's choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Now, I feel a need to be careful with this review as I do not wish to cause any offence. I am not from a catholic background and know little about that faith, so please forgive my ignorance.

We were on holiday in Croatia, and really wanted to see Mostar in Bosnia & Herzegovina so we booked to go on a day trip with a company called Adriatic 4 U. It mentioned in the itinerary that there was a stop somewhere called Medjugorje - and we assumed it would be just that - a comfort break - it proved to be anything but!

Now, don't get me wrong - it IS interesting. I had never heard of the place or the story of the 6 youngsters who claim to have been seeing the virgin Mary for the past 30 years or so and the pilgrimages which have resulted. Believers think it is a place of miracles and we arrived with an open mind.

We were taken to the foot of the hill where the visions are said to have happened. Be warned - this is not an easy trek. I am very mobile, relatively young, fit and well used to walking and physical exercise but I found the ascent very challenging. The ground is incredibly uneven - you have to step on what I can only describe as craggy, pointy stepping stones all the way to the shrine - which is NOT signposted - so please make sure you follow the right people. My partner ended up following some locals who were actually continuing further up the mountain. We got separated, it was very stressful under the blisteringly hot sun and I don't think it would be in good taste to make any jokes about miracles at this point, but we were very relieved to be reunited once the whole experience was over. The shrine itself includes a statue of Mary and a wooden cross. There were many pilgrims there and they were clearly moved.

I was simply relieved to have reached it after such an uncomfortable walk up there. I saw numerous children in tears on the way up and down and numerous elderly or physically challenged people really struggling - a sign of their faith and commitment if nothing else.

The town itself, is to put it politely, quite unattractive and it seems the locals have jumped at the chance of profiting from the place's unexpected fame and popularity. The walk from the centre to the hill take you past umpteen stalls selling the ubiquitous bracelettes and other tat - a lot of it very tasteless and, to my mind - quite cynical and exploitative. I did hear many people comment about "the economic miracle of Medjugorje" - which cannot be denied.

The centre also has plenty of cafés and so on, but there's also a large complex including a church with an outdoor area for listening to sermons, a huge block of confessional booths as well as massive toilet facilities - which are needed as there are so many people. We arrived on a Sunday so it was heaving and there was a service on. It was fascinating to watch the devotion of those who clearly believed in the six seers and their story. However, for me, personally - and this is just my opinion - the place had an eerie, dystopian, almost sci-fi feel to it which was quite uncomfortable and I was more than happy to leave its strangeness behind and head for Mostar.

Before leaving, I popped in to the post office to buy stamps. It also has a number of telephones for pilgrims to call home - in particular it seems - to Italy. I had to wait some time for my stamps as half a dozen ladies from Italy - who were obviously there on a pilgrimage (they had special passes around their necks) shouted at the post office worker and argued about the prices of their respective phone-calls - quibbling over a few cents. I found this a rather telling juxtaposition to the almost oppressive force-fed serenity that abounds from postcards and billboards everywhere else in this little town.

Let's just say it wasn't for me - but I am glad to have experienced such an odd place.

I think it is clearly suited more for those who go there because they believe in its reported miracles. If you're a casual tourist - I would give it a miss and spend more time in Mostar which is far more interesting and quite beautiful.

5 Thank Glyntrepid
St. Paris, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“My Third Visit and I will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

What an amazing place to be at. It is definitely a life altering experince. Looking forward to my next trip.

3 Thank Linda W