“Over-commercialised”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Over-commercialised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

It's still not formally recognised from Vatican, and it's so commercialised that you feel like in a big shop, rather than a holly place. Not impressed at all

Visited July 2012

• Slovak first
Virginia
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“If you're going to Mostar by car, it's an interesting stop on the way.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We decided to stop at Medjugorje on the way to visit to Mostar. I am not Catholic, but I had heard that this site was famous for pilgrimages and wanted see it.

We were at the church while they were giving mass. The back panel of the wall is glass, so people who could not fit into the church could watch and participate. I stayed in this area for a few minutes and observed the service. People around me were singing hymns. It was peaceful and moving.

The town was full of inexpensive restaurants and stores selling rosary beads. We picked up some beads for our friends who are Catholic. Overall, the town itself is very touristy and not very charming.

We also went to see the statue of the Resurrected Savior (Jesus with the weeping knee), which is only a short walk from the church. My guidebook reported that his right knee is supposed to be continually wet. I'm not sure if his knee was wet because some pilgrims had boxes of napkins and wiped his knee repeatedly with different tissues (perhaps 100 each). I wasn't sure if they were doing this for personal use or if they were going to sell them. Anyway....it was interesting to see. I've seen lots of religious services, but I had never seen anything like that.

Since we were going to Mostar anyway, it was a pleasant stop for a couple hours. It's very close to Mostar. I'm sure our Catholic friends will appreciate the gifts we got for them there.

Visited July 2012
8 Thank WanderPep
Southport, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“Practical Advice for travellers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

The statue of Our Lady is on Apparition Hill. To get to this, you will have a 'climb' of about 20-25 mins.
There is no pathway carved out as the jagged rocks are so hard, so you must take it very easy and wear trainers or proper walking shoes. Not for the fainthearted!
A walking stick would be a good idea for those less firm and remember to drink plenty of water if you go in the hot season.
Also, ladies must cover their shoulders in the immediate vicinity of the statue.
There seemed to be a religious man policing it, who hissed at me and tapped his shoulder,which to be honest completely destroyed any spirituality that I was starting to feel and made me ponder on the ridiculous, small minded irritations of religion.

Visited June 2012
5 Thank J3KTN
Las Vegas, Nevada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hype and fairytales”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Sad how people are exploited for money by religion. You don't have to pay God to be blessed by Him.

5 Thank Love4food2
Dunstable, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Irish Centre accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

The experience of medjugorie was different to any other pilgrimage I have been on, I must admit to being sceptical of the claims of the visionaries??, however..The main reason I need to write is to WARN PEOPLE to never book with the Irish centre...we (our group of 12 mostly elderly people) were promised appartments, two beds, bathrooms, balconys, we were even advised to look up our splended appartments online!! we did!! they looked beautiful, perfect.....what we got was, a room ontop of a grotty pub? filthy...smelly...no wardrobe...for the first 4 nights of our 7 night stay...then they put us into appartments, separated our group into different appartment blocks, therefore splitting up the group...it was a complete disaster, they lied to us, it was appauling, for a holy place...never ever book with them.

Visited April 2012