“Three stars for a four star hotel”

Symposion Hotel Post
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Traunkirchen
Al, Norway
“Three stars for a four star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Location superb and breakfast was tasty, but the hotel itself is simply not to 4 star standard, and definitely not worth the hefty 140 EU a night (even in high season). There was no air conditioning in our newly refurbished room, the TV was small and the Wifi was non-existent in the rooms. The shower was miniature and overall the hotel lacks the amenities of other four star competitors (i.e. no sauna, pool, fitness, no real lounge or open space), so there was really not much to do in the hotel but eat or sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

we have just spent a week at this lovely Hotel the food is good the bedroom was very large and comfotable and really clean. This is a lovely village but at night it gets noisy with late night people on motor bikes had to get up and tell them to be quiet at 3am it is a shame because it is a great place good transport llinks by boat train and bus. I will go back but will take ear plugs with me next time

Room Tip: the rooms on the front have lovely views but can be noisy at night even the side rooms have lovely v...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

I think it’ll take a week of just doing nothing, that’s what it’ll take to slowdown enough to take in and appreciate the view that is bursting in my hotel window.
My balcony opens onto a backdrop of clear blue sky, as the sun gently drops behind the peaks of what seems like cliffs rising from the lake like sentinels, guarding the way ahead. It’s hard to get the perspective of the mountains rising out of the crystal, clear lake in proportion. Not until my eyes fall on tiny buildings dwarfed right at the point where the cliffs rise out of the water. With the perspective of the buildings, I begin to grasp the scale of the scene I excitedly study from the comfort of my balcony.
The stark contrast of the warm heath of the hotel, delicious, hot food and polite faces of the staff, to the rugged peaks and the deep blue of the lake, never fails to fill me with awe and wonder of nature. I don’t get to be in a place like this every day and I’m glad, it would be a shame to grow familiar and take this quiet, serine but breathtaking beauty for granted. It’s such a contrast to the usual pace of life. At this point in my life, I need this, with the problems going right now, probably the whole world needs this!
Coming from hectic cities, which are such a struggle to survive in, this place is almost too difficult a change and takes several days for my thoughts to stop falling over themselves to get in sync with the water, air and mountains.
Austria’s public holidays have caught me by surprise more than once. But what a welcome break from the pressure of work when one such public holiday pops up in the middle of the week. I am writing after just such a day. I knew just what to do, I know of a walk I can take from the bottom of the lake up a logging road into what turns into rugged wilderness. And it’s only a short drive from the comfort of the hotel.
Ahh, back in nature again, the crisp winter wind blowing, the sound of the stream gushing as it dashes from deep turquoise pools, to abrupt waterfalls, all the while singing cheerfully along way below my path. The road steadily climbs up and away from the things of man, thrilling my soul with every deep breath crisp, mountain air.
To add to the symphony of all I see and hear and feel, snowflakes start to descend and the wind displays its playful mood as the soft flakes dance from side to side and they gently descend in perfect unity. It all seems so right, when I think of the comfort of my room and the delicious meal that will be served this evening, as I walk in the wild alone on a day when I would normally be working.
Austria is a country of strong contrast, the warmth of the food and hospitality and rugged peaks with untamed wilderness areas. Another surprising contrast came on the last few hundred meters of my walk. I am used to so many cold, hard expressions, frightened eyes avoiding my gaze, pain and suffering. As I descended the path an elderly lady and her daughter were starting on their way up. The she boldly stepped across into my path to stop me, her smiling eyes reached out to greet me as if I was her long lost son. She held me in her warm gaze, the first face I see after descending from my time in the wild.
Not only did the kindness and friendliness of her expression reach out to me, but she but stepping closer she reached out her hand in affable greeting. With the warm and ardent grasp, the affectionate exchange was in no way diminished by not being able to communicate in words, as she spoke no English and my German needs work. I knew that expression; it was universal and could warm a world full of cold difference. That exceptional little, old lady made my time in Austria and the Post Hotel complete.
You might think this description is exaggerated but I think this part of the world is grossly underrated. If you have been working with families living in squalor, children suffering with cancer and in countries with struggling economies, you would view the world through different eyes too. I have been doing volunteer work for the last twenty years and have found a new appreciation for each and every blessing. Michael Kennedy

Room Tip: Front of the hotel for the view, top left for quiet and view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank IntrepidKen
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

My room was nice, clean, with good amenities. Perhaps it was renovated since some of the previous reviewers stayed here?

Unfortunately, the rooms are directly above the terrace where guests hang out *late* into the night eating, drinking, and making noise. The bed might as well be placed in the middle of a busy restaurant. Good luck trying to get any sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank toposophic
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

We stayed one night in September 2009. Hotel is not so new or modern but it is very charming and has a character. Traunkirchen location is dramatic and I believe it is the most scenic location on this lake. Views from hotel balcony are enchanting. Hotel restaurant has a pleasant seating and there was a very nice live harp music during dinner time (Sunday night). Overall the dinner meal was good but fried local fish was quite dry.Our room was clean and large enough. There is an elevator. Front desk was fine.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kf59traveler
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

Stayed at this hotel as part of a cycling tour; the hotel was one of several included in the package and selected by the tour company. Traunkirchen is a very small town, and this hotel was quaint and located right on the Traunsee. The room was clean and had an updated modern and clean bathroom, as well as small balcony with a gorgeous view of the lake and mountains. The walls were adorned with framed antique postcards of the hotel in yesteryear, which as a history buff I thought was a great touch. I also had one of my favorite meals of the entire trip here(mushroom goulash).

• Liked — The location and the quaint historic ambience.
  • Disliked — I did not dislike anything.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank hmmsbrown
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

The location of this hotel is superb in a very quiet town with beautiful walks around the area. The views from the room were also superb and the hotel was extremely clean. However the decor was quite old fashioned and dark for the price that we paid. The breakfast was also very good. The place was fine but not worth the money, though I don't know whether or not there are any better value places in the town.

• Liked — Views and location
  • Disliked — Old dark decor
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank lifeisbeaut
Also consider these accommodations in or near Traunkirchen
Seehotel Das Traunsee
#2 of 5 in Gmunden
Landhotel Post Ebensee
Landhotel Post Ebensee
#4 of 4 in Ebensee

Been to Symposion Hotel Post? Share your experiences!