“Expensive, exclusive but very very good. I was pleasantly surprised”
Review of Restaurant Kornkammer - Soll - CLOSED

Restaurant Kornkammer - Soll
Erl, Austria
“Expensive, exclusive but very very good. I was pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This restaurant is situated in a 500 year old wooden building which was previously used as a grain store and mill. The wooden beams are solid and they give a very rustic feel to the place.

I must admit that before going here I checked the website and I was not really impressed with the menu, but that is just me as I prefer standard home cooking and don’t really like when my dinner is served as a work of art with nothing to actually eat.

We went here with friends from Japan who were very keen to try the culture of Austria and this is an upper class family restaurant which we had a gift voucher for so we thought we would treat them.

I have to say that I found the menu to be rather expensive but when the food was actually served it was so good that I can see why it justified a slightly higher price.

Aperitifs were served at the back of the building on the wooden terrace so that we could watch the sun go down.

After translating the menu into English for our guests, the choices were made. Unfortunately there was not and English version of the menu and also on the website everything was in German.

Everyone was very happy with what they chose from the trout and zander, to the noodles with mushrooms and schnitzel we had a good cross section of the main courses.

3 only ate the main course and I had soup as a starter. It was very good but I have had better. It was worth the money.

The waitress who runs the place whilst her husband cooks, is very friendly and helpful.

The plates were handed back at the end of the meals and lets just say there was nothing left for the swill bin. All was gone and all was very tasty.

It might be a little hard to find this place as it is hidden from the street but if you are successful and find it I am sure that you will enjoy your meal there.

On the whole, expensive, exclusive but very very good. I was pleasantly surprised.

It seems the menu is not on their website but can be found here

• Visited July 2014