“A clean hotel in great location. Does what it says on the tin.”

Moedlinger Hotel & Sport
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Soll
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I stayed at the Moedlinger with my partner during the first week of August. We wanted to do lots of walking and Soell is an excellent base for that - we only really scratched the surface of what was available. The hotel was really quiet when we went (usually only one or two other couples there at any one time!) so this has probably given us a different experience than if it was peak ski season. Our room was large, clean, modern and comfortable with a rather large balcony which gave great views of the Wilder Kaiser mountains. Because it was a short distance from the centre it was also peaceful so we could get a good nights sleep. Herr Moedlinger and his wife were attentive and so were the other staff (speaking German to the staff seemed to really help!). The food was basic fayre (I would imagine that there is a greater range available when the hotel is fuller) but it was freshly cooked. I did find the soup a little salty at times but otherwise I found it to be tasty with lots of vegetables (which offset the damage of the pancakes!). Soell itself is fab with friendly people and we will certainly be going back there in the future.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Moedlinger Hotel & Sport

Reviewed July 6, 2009

My husband has Coeliacs and this hotel was great. They prepared different food for him if he could not have the same as everyone else. Made the holiday relaxing and safe.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2009

Food was poor standard..

Breakfast - Less and less choice each day, as they ran out of things and didn't bother to replace them

Dinner - Soup - extremely salty
Main dish - far too salty. Had turkey (left over from previous night) as fondu - very bizzare - not particular good idea having raw poultry next to beef!
Salad Bar - less choice as the week went on, but ok otherwise
Dessert - perfect if you like squirty cream, jam and icing sugar every night!

The hotel is great if you don't plan to eat there - it's got a real charm about it, and the rooms are basic, but clean and functional. You just get the impression that they do everything they can to save a few pennies, even if it means not providing a good service.

The sauna was great - no complaints at all.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Modlinger from the 24th to 31st Jan 2009 for a week's snowboarding and had a great time.

I say the Modlinger, we didn't actually step inside it all week! A few steps up the hill from the main hotel is the "Franzlbaur" which is a converted farmhouse with 6 rooms. It also means you eat at the restaurant of a hotel a bit further up the hill called the Franzlhof. Confusing, huh? We didn't know this before we got there and the Neillsons rep on the transfer didn't explain either, so we were left to figure it out ourselves.

No problem though. The house was typical Austrian chalet style, very warm with bags of charm. Our room was in the eaves with the bed under the sloping roof, exposed oak beams and the best balcony view in Soll, in our opinion, overlooking the town and up the mountain. The Franzlhof restaurant was beautiful, the service friendly and the food really great. Breakfast was a continental buffet, with a boiled egg cooked fresh if you wanted. But dinner wasn't lukewarm buffet style, it was cooked fresh when you arrived and set menu (which you could change if you didn't like anything). Always delicious and healthy. We paid for wine extra and this cost 7.20 Euros for two quart-carafes (2 glasses each) each night.

There wasn't TV in the room (which we found we didn't miss) and had to ask for a hairdryer but got one the next day. Only used the sauna once, not as convenient to use as it too was in the Franzlhof, and strange for us with the Europeans going naked of course!!

A ski bus stopped outside the main Modlinger hotel at 9.20 and 10.20 am, but it's a short walk to the town centre where all the buses stop, so absolutely no problem getting to the ski lift. Or you can walk in 15 minutes. There's ski storage in the hotel but we paid 2 Euros a night each to leave our boots and boards at the ski lift station (warm boots every morning!)

Soll is picturesque, not too big, and easy to navigate with a great atmosphere and amenities. Two SPARS for groceries and loads of ski and boarding shops.

Price-wise it was expensive due to the poor GBP-Euro exchange rate, but it helped getting a good half board deal and we bought a couple of bottles from the SPAR for the room rather than go out drinking every night (we're in our 30s!). We ate out once and found a popular little restaurant opposite the Whiskey Muhle pub where we had one course and wine for about 25 Euros, so not too bad.

All in all a great first venture into snowboarding in Europe. And the fantastic mountain system and snow conditions helped too!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I have recently returned from a ski-ing trip to Soll. I wasn't sure what to expect as it was my first time but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the holiday. The Hotel was very clean and there is a garage attached to the hotel for you to store any boards/skis and boots. The bedroom was a good size with a lovely balcony to enjoy the views. I am always a bit dubious about hotel food but I have to say I ate well and enjoyed all the food every day. There was a good choice for breakfast but the toaster was very slow (minor complaint really). For the evening meal it was a set menu but there was always 1 alternative for the main course. The service was excellent and we didn't feel rushed at all. Just be prepared to settle your bar bill on the last night in the restaurant. The lady gets a bit stressed if you are not ready with your money or say you will pay later.
The hotel is in a really good location. It is only 5 minutes away from the centre and it is an easy walk to the ski school/gondola station. There is however a ski bus that will take you there if you want to rest your legs.
I have stayed in many 4 star hotels on summer holidays and this 3 star hotel defintely outshines them all. I would definitely come back here, even in the summer to explore the beautiful mountains.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Stayed at the Modlinger skiing for one week in Feb 09. Having been to Soll previously I researched the hotels carefully (using tripadvisor). Before I review the hotel, I can not recommend BlackSheep Ski instruction highly enough. They took my wife from being quite nervous and not really being that keen on skiing holidays to an addict, she is already planning our next trip! (www.blacksheepski.co.uk). If your thinking of lessons, it is worth looking at the costs and seeing if private lessons are an alternative. Worth every penny! Thanks Rachel and Zoe.
Modlinger is set slighly away from the centre ensuring you don't get distrurbed by too many revelers returning home late at night/early morning. There is a ski bus directly outside the hotel taking you direct to the resort centre, Stoll Hire ski shop and the main gondola. I believe it is the second stop on the bus route so seating is never a problem, even in peak hours. The walk to the centre bars, restauratns and shops etc is 5-7mins. Not a problem at all in the evening but walking to the gondola is just that bit too far, about 12-15mins.
On arrival me were met and checked in by the famous Mr Modlinger (who has had a few bad reviews). Although to the point he was very polite and efficient and we were impressed by him all week. Inside the hotel the lobby, bar and TV area are all very nicely decorated. The rooms are typical Austrian (twins pushed together to make a double) and although are decorated to slightly 'dated' tastes they are in great condition and spotlessly clean. Wardrobes were large for all the kit, space to store your luggage, large bath with good shower etc. We stayed in room 306 which was next to the elevator shaft which did cause us a few issues. The noice is enough to disturb you when watching tv/reading or sleeping. We tried to move rooms but the hotel was full. The lift is switched off at night between 11.30-12pm. We purchased earplugs from the pharmacy, problem solved !!!
The food was excellent, the best we have had skiing. Breakfast is traditional buffet style cereals, bread, cheese, meat etc but they also do boiled eggs. The evening meal always begins with soup (fab), salad buffet if you would like and then a chioice of main (all excellent) followed by pudding. You can then help yourself to cheese if you wish. They do put on a fondue night one evening and get people to sit together and provide wine to try and make people be a bit more social. The fondue was not exactly brilliant food but we thoroughly enjoyed the evening.
For those that haven't been Soll it's a lovely mid sized town with something for everyone. Nice restuarants and great Apres. Having stayed in Hotel Austria before, and spoken to people at the Postwirt (which is the nicest hotel in Soll) actually staying in the centre can become quite noisy. We also visited the swimming pool which was fun.
Overall I would return to Modlingger without question.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2009

This hotel is the best I have stayed in on a skiing holiday. The hotel is very clean and well maintained, every member of staff is helpful and friendly and the room had a bath!! Which for any skiiers or boarders out there, you know how nice a long soak in the bath is to ease those aching muscles! Our room had a fantastic view and even a sofa on the balcony. There were only two downsides to the hotel. The first being naked men in the sauna!!! As a woman I dont really want to see it thank you very much! Please put it away. The second was the amount of Irish in the hotel and the resort, at times I found them to be very inconsiderate to other guests. Shouting in corridors after 3am, being quite rude about hotel staff and generally being loud.

The food was of a very good quality and something different every night. The weekly fondue night was a highlight, you're encouraged to mingle and get to know other guests which provided a nice change to the evening meal. We did eat out on a couple of occasions and would HIGHLY RECCOMEND the Whisky Muhle restaurant, Fantastic food!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple