“Average experience until the last day”

Guesthouse Maximilian
Ranked #33 of 36 Soll B&B and Inns
“Average experience until the last day”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My girlfriend and myself stayed at the Maximilian Guesthouse from 2nd to the 9th of February 2013. Rooms were clean enough. The beds were comfortable although I did have to put some slats back in one before even spending a night! And as we are a couple we would have appreciated a double duvet instead of two singles, which I found strange. Also a few toiletries would have been nice, not even a bar of soap.

Breakfast consisted of 2 rolls, slices of cheese and cold meats and jam. You got the option of a glass of orange juice or water and tea and coffee (but if you want a half decent cup take you own tea bags!) Also on alternate days there was a yogurt or boiled egg. I'm not saying that there was anything inherently wrong with the breakfast but by the 3rd day I was sick of it. I have stayed at other similarly priced guesthouses/B&Bs and had far more choice.

So the week on the snow was good, conditions were fantastic then on the last night as we were packing a bag knocked one of the bedside lamp shades and broke a small glass panel. As it was late I decided to sort it out with the owners in the morning. Unfortunately we overslept. I explained to them what had happened and that I was very sorry and that I was happy to pay for the damage. Before I was even told the cost her attitude changed. She started talking loudly in German to I guess her husband and disappeared upstairs to I guess look at the light. When she came down she shouted at me that it was going to be E25. Unfortunately I only had E5 on me and as my girlfriend was flying back to a different airport she has already been collected. I was told "you must pay, you must pay" repeatedly. To which I kept saying I was happy to pay but my bus was coming in 10 minutes and that wasn't time for me to walk to the ATM and get back in time. Their body language was starting to worry me. I know this to be true as we had to walk past it on the way to ski every morning! Then his son arrived and I got him to drive me down to get some money. For this I am very grateful after reading what he did to another woman who had lost her key and didn't have the money on her the last morning to pay for a new one.

I just couldn't believe how rude they were and the anger they showed. I'm sure any money owed could easily have been collected through Crystal as they have all payment details.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Stayed February 2013
9 Thank Al3X1000

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Notts
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Twelve lads stayed here, jan 2013. Location and facilities fantastic, landlord (maximillion) greeted us and treated us fantasticly during the week. Only thing that could be improved was the breakfast was very basic.

Room Tip: Make sure you request en suite if possible, some rooms have shared showers and toilet facilities
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ladyholmes68
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Maximillian this month. Upon arrival we were checked in with ease and shown to a very small, sloped roof, twin room. We had shared facilities and these were clean and functional, our only grumble being that everyone showers at similar times so the bathroom was often busy but you get what you pay and it was very reasonably priced.

Breakfast consisted of bread rolls, cheese, cold meats and on alternate days either yoghurt or boiled eggs, it was substantial and fresh. The owners were polite, friendly and made us feel welcome.

Since I am an intermediate skier and my friend was a beginner we would return to the hotel at separate times so my friend asked for a separate key. A EUR 50 deposit was requested but my friend didn't have enough cash so offered to pay by card. Since we had got on well with our host and since she wasn't able to accept cards she gave my friend the benefit of the doubt and loaned us another key without upfront payment.

Unfortunately the day before check-out I noticed that I had misplaced my key after falling on the slopes but had hoped it might be back in our room. As soon as I returned to the hotel I immediately told the man of the house that I'd possibly lost my key. He advised me of the EUR 50 charge for replacement and I said that I'd have one last look for it in my room and would hopefully find it or pay the replacement charge upon checkout.

Unfortunately the key did not turn up and as it was our last night we went out for drinks with friends. I withdrew money from the ATM for the replacement key but when I woke up in the morning we'd spent more than planned and only had EUR 25 left between us.

My friend and I went downstairs with our bags and told them that we were unable to find our key. When asked for payment, I told her that I didn't have enough money as I had spent it the night before so I offered her the EUR 25 that I had on me. With that she gave me no chance to explain that I was intending to go to the bank to get the remainder. She instead assumed that I was trying to run out on payment, became very hostile and started shouting at us in German.

To explain a bit about me. I'm a 5' 2" petite girl. I work for an investment bank in London and am in my late 30's. I'm therefore not exactly the type to cause trouble or not pay my bills. My friend is also female, of the same age and build and we both had large suitcases and handbags and at no point did we turn towards the door and try to run or even make suggestion to, in fact we'd made it very clear the day before that we had most probably lost the key so we were not trying to get away with anything.

SO....... why is it that the husband came running down the stairs and violently grabbed me and my suitcase and dragged me kicking and screaming into the kitchen, whilst his wife just stood there and let him do it. My friend looked on in complete amazement as I was man-handled, screamed at and basically shaken and bullied. I have never been treated so badly. I was visibly shaken and upset but this didn't seem to deter the hoteliers until I pleaded with the female and she finally said something in German to her husband (which I assume was let her go) and then shouted 'sorry' at me.

I literally emptied my entire pockets of every piece of change, which was pennies as I'd already handed over the EUR 25 to the female hotelier. They theatened to withhold our luggage and take items to the value of what we owed so we walked out the door very shaken, in tears and without our bags.

We immediately went to see Crystal, our resort rep, to make a formal complaint and the bad service continued............. I was asked to fill out a complaint form and was told that it would be filed and referred to if there was ever another complaint. The reps went on to tell me that in four years of them using the Hotel Maximillian they never had a complaint and were surprised to hear of one now. In other words, we must have been exagerating/lying! SO....... if a woman gets attacked by someone in the street, god forbid, even raped, if the attacker has never done it before does that make him innocent and the woman a liar??.... I think I've made my point!

Anyway, after filing the complaint I went to the bank to withdraw the remainder of the money, i.e. a further EUR 25 to give to the hotelier. As I was very shaken and had no desire to have another confrontation with the couple we asked the rep to take the money and collect our luggage for us. Thankfully they agreed. The final straw was when the hotelier accused us of being another EUR 5 short!! So, I was attacked, had no real apology, no real support from the rep and now they wanted a further EUR 5 from me. Unbelievable!

The Hotel Maximillian is a clean, reasonably priced and well located hotel. It's owners on first impression are accommodating and friendly. I am therefore gobsmacked that I was treated so badly because the owners had been very sweet and showed absolutely no sign of being unreasonable or agressive/violent.

It's safe to say that I will not be returning to the Hotel Maximillian and I would urge caution if booking there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank Myview888

Travelers are raving about these Soll hotels

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed February 9, 2012

It was a great holiday with my partner. The room was quite nice, just what you need. The view was great, looking at the slopes and breakfast was what you needed. I really liked that you could walk down in the morning to the slopes without taking the busy bus. If you are into going out in town at night, I would get somwhere a bit closer, it is not far from the center but with the frozen road you don´t want to walk 10 mins to get to a bar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vegamerodio
Dublin
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I booked this as part of a Crystal Package. The price was good and considering what I paid, I was very happy with the accommodation. It is a five minute stroll to the centre and we walked to the lifts most days (about 15 minutes).

The room was a little small, but was OK for two people. It is the usual Austrian twin set-up. The bathroom and shower were fine. Hot water was never a problem.

The breakfast was a bit limited. I would have liked a cereal, such as muesli. There were two breadrolls per person and meat/cheese. On alternate days you could have yogurt or boiled egg. Tea/Coffee and juice was also available. Service was friendly and prompt.

Very little noise at night. We slept soundly.

There is a ski locker in the basement and it is a warm room, warm enough to dry coats etc. if required. We used the excellent storage facilities at Sport Edinger under the gondola....highly recommended.

All in all , an enjoyable holiday despite the poor snow and rain that we got mid March. I would come back again and I would use the Maximilian without any hesitation.

• Stayed March 2011
4 Thank osulljp
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2011

This was our third stay at the Maxmilian and the Pfurtscheller family always make us feel very welcome. The hotel is reasonably situated being just a few moments walk from the nearest skibus stop. It is a little bit of a stroll out in the evening but if you're fit enough to ski you won't mind a ten minute walk to the town and the many restaurants there. If you are feeling a bit lazy there is a new pizza restaurant within just five minutes walk. During the fifteen years that we have been regular visitors to Soll the cost of dining out has risen sharply and a nice dinner in Soll (starter, main, drinks & coffee) will now set you back nearly 70 Euros per couple. The rooms at the hotel are typical of the Tyrol - whitewashed rooms with a bed, table and wardrobe. The linens were a trifle tired although everything was clean. The shower had an excellent spray of heroic character that almost knocks you over. The breakfast room is a bit cramped but this helps you make friends! Breakfast itself is the usual ham, cheese and rolls affair with daily alternating yohurt and a boiled egg. The nights were marvellously quiet and we slept soundly. We enjoyed our stay and would happily return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple