“Great Holiday”
Review of Austria Hotel

Austria Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Soll
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just arrived back home after a week staying half board at the Hotel Austria in Soll with Directski. This was our first ski-ing holiday in a hotel for a while, we usually stay in catered chalets, but it was much better then we expected. The hotel was very clean and comfortable, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was great, I'm Coeliac and had no problems at all, and we also had a vegetarian in our party, but again, no problems with that either. The drinks in the restaurant were very reasonably priced, compared to other places in Austria, which was a pleasant surprise. Great little bar downstairs as well, so you don't even have to go out if you don't want to. We stayed in a room at the front of the hotel, so couldn't hear the bells at the church behind. Really liked Soll too, snow was excellent with a vast ski area to go at. Could definitely recommend and we will be going back at some stage.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We was at hotel Austria from Feb 9th 2013. I arrived as a happy human being lookingforward to my holiday. We was given a room on the fourth floor at the back. The only thing to say is the bells. the hotel is situated next to the church. Every morning at ten to seven the bells start ringing and they ring 75 times. How do I know that, I counted them. In fact I had become Quasimodo by the end of the holiday. After the bells, you get the lift. It is the noisiest lift I have come across. So don't come here if you like your lie ins.
A final point, me and my Mrs were half board. As there was only two in the party, we shared a table. Luckily the people we shared with were great.
The bar on the ground floor is good and I recommend the bar crawl
Will is also a very nice place, the ski is great, as is the apres ski and the food

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

When we arrived for our ski-ing holiday on the Saturday afternoon was apprehensive as the bar was full of fellow Brits watching football on the TV's and playing pool and I thought this is going to be a noisy place. As it turned out the rooms were very quiet until 07.45 when some sadistic Campanologist ensures that nobody in the village is late for work,school or breakfast by ringing the bells 60 times. The room was small by Austrian standards but very clean . The bathroom was nice but the rubber seal had gone on the bath/shower door so the floor got wet when I had a shower and the ventilation in the bathroom did not seem to work, no big deal and I only mention it in hope the owners read this and fix it.
Breakfast was usual continental fare , OK but not exciting in the least, Dinner was actually better than I have had in many more expensive hotels, just simple meals but I ate everything every night and enjoyed it.
Smoking:no smoking allowed in rooms or dining room but ,and it can be quite a big but for some of us, both the public bar and the residents bar adjoining the restaurant were smokey places.
Very much enjoyed my stay and thought it good value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank redlion29
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed for a week in Hotel Austria, located in the center of Söll, in a great ski area! Free parking is available across the hotel.

The double rooms are rather basic but clean and with a great shower. If you take a family room, it's very spacious with a large bathroom (no bath, only shower). The pillows were horrible, luckily I brought my own. The cleaning ladies were very friendly and efficient! Always nice to return to a clean and warm room after a day of skiing! In advance we read horror stories about the church bells waking you up early in the morning, but our room was located at the church side and we only heared the bells twice, both times when we were already up. So absolutely no issues there :-).

The hotel owners were lovely, very helpfull and friendly.

The staff in the restaurant however was rather unfriendly, also to the children, turned with their eyes when we had a question or special request. One of the restaurant ladies hardly understood German or English and looked as if we came from another planet when ordering a tea, coca cola or schiwasser. The other lady was rather arrogant and only changed her behaviour slightly when we made a comment on it.
Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 10:00, which is perfect to be early on the slopes. There was enough choice for a continental breakfast. At breakfast, you choose what you would like to eat for dinner. Soup is fix, choice out of three main courses (usually 2 meat- and 1 fish dish) and 2 desserts. Overall diner was fine. Drinks at dinner were rather expensive (2,5€ for a small drink and 3,6€ for a large drink) and to be payed every evening, which was fine for us (no surprises at the end of the week).

Some of us did not bring their own ski equipment, we have rented them for a very nice price at the ski rental shop/skischool at the roundabout on the border of the village. The price was a lot better than renting them close by the skilift of Söll. This too was a welcome recommendation by the hotel owners.

Room Tip: If you want a spacious bathroom, you should opt for a family room. Not each family room has the same...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Katrienvanderkuylen
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having booked to go to soll with accommodation on arrival I was wary of what awaited me. I needed not to worry as I was booked into the hotel austria. It is located in the centre of he town in the shadow of its famous church. The reception are is small but everyone was quickly dealt with and allocated their rooms. The room is your standard two single bed layout with a small bathroom with a shower. My only two niggles was the tv never had any English speaking channels and the pillows were probably the worst I'd ever slept on. People who had stayed before brought their own. The restaurant is on the first floor and serves continental breakfast between 7am til 10am, no hot option ( exepect toast). Your dinner choice is selected at breakfast and is served between 7pm and 7:30pm. The evening meal is 3 course soup, main and dessert all served to you at your allocated table. The food each evening was lovely and everyone we spoke to had no complaints. The hotel has a popular apre's ski bar which some evenings has bands playing, I had room 406 and never heard any noise but not sure on the lower levels. The ski room is on the ground floor and is controlled by your room key for easy access. The ski bus stop is two minute walk so no problems there. All in all this is a great 3 star hotel and would recommend staying here

Room Tip: Higher level room. pack your own pillow
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank honestandy1964
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Perfect bar to have a quiet drink after skiing, we ordered food from the bar menu on several different days and it was very reasonable(around 8 euros) for fresh pizza and a quarter pounder beef burger with chips.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the hotel but if the bar was anything to go by we would love to have been stay...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked Hotel Austria through a package with Directski and weren't disappointed. It is a typical Austrian 3 star and well located in the centre of the town. The bar in the hotel is popular for après-ski. The rooms were spacious and clean and the food (we had half board) couldn't be faulted! Breakfast was a buffet style with plenty if choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurts, meats, cheeses, breads etc. Dinner each evening was a hearty good quality 3 course of soup, main and dessert - there was always a nice salad buffet as well. The only downsides to the hotel was that they wouldn't give you water with your dinner and made you order drinks from the bar, the bar lady was not very pleasant (unlike the rest of the staff who were helpful and friendly), and finally one of the biggest negatives was having to pay 20 euro for wifi for the week. Apart from that it was a great stay and made for a superb week in Soll which is a great ski resort. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Coc o
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soll
Hotel Tyrol am Wilden Kaiser
#20 of 20 in Soll
Hotel Alpin
Hotel Alpin
#1 of 6 in Scheffau am Wilden Kaiser

Been to Austria Hotel? Share your experiences!