“Delicious Italian Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Martinez, California
“Delicious Italian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We discovered this gem a few years ago and keep coming back. If you are looking for fresh ingredients, good size portions with good prices this is the place to go. I love their Osso Bucco veal shanks with roasted vegetables. My husbands always gets their steak which is cooked to perfection. My daughter loves all their pastas which they make in house and is always fresh. It is situated in a strip mall next to Petco but when you go in you forget you are not in a cafe in Italy.

• Visited December 2013

San Diego, California
“Unassuming but delightful dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Mangia Bene has a great menu and delicious food despite its rather plain appearance from the outside

Visited October 2013
Walnut Creek, California, USA
“A bit of Italy in Martinez”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Consistently good food. The roasted chicken is a favorite and both the lasagne and the ravioli are outstanding. Good flavor with perfect texture. The salads are ordinary but always crisp and fresh. Good serve and reasonable price. The small back room is great for private parties,

Visited September 2013
California
“Calamari steak not a steak!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was so disappointed in my meal this evening of Oct. 3, 2013. The calamari steak was actually a very thin (probably a quarter inch) of overdone, chewy nothingness. I had trouble cutting it and it was almost rubbery. I doubt whether there was 2 ounces of calamari on the plate and it seemed to me that it was more suited to the pieces they use in the appetizer plate. I have never had such a poor presentation of a calamari steak in my life. My husbands osso bucco was good but he said the sauce was the same as the one on our friends ravioli. He orders this a lot at Italian restaurants and the sauce is cooked specially for this dish. I wanted to return the calamari as soon as I tasted it, but because we were with friends that recommended the restaurant I didn't. I'm mentioning it here in the hopes the restaurant reads my review. Maybe something went wrong tonight. I don't know. I know the restaurant has been there for a long while and the reviews are mostly positive.

On the plus side, the Caesar salad was excellent and a good portion for the price. The mixed zucchini on the entrée plate was cooked nicely and the polenta was very good. Our waitress was very pleasant and gave us ample time to order as we took awhile to decide what to order. While we didn't get separate checks, she calculated the totals for each couple which was nice

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Olympia, Washington
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The dipping sauce and bread are worth it all on their own and its free. Very authentic Italian food served with a original flair of this family run restaurant. If you're Italian, and have a father who cooked, you will appreciate this place.

Visited June 2013