Muir Lodge Motel
$107
$124
$158
HIExpress.com
Best Western Plus Heritage Inn(Benicia)(Great Value!)
$231
Hilton.com
  • Pool
$219
Residence Inn
Pleasant Hill Inn(Pleasant Hill)
$110
All reviewsjohn muirnational monumentplace to stayneon signcomfortable bedclose to downtownnext morningnon smokingin room coffeenice breakfaststayed one nightstreet noisesan franciscomicrowavefreewayearplugsconcord
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a two-star hotel so expectations were quite low, but definitely exceeded. It met two fundamental goals of ours. First, after a long drive from Southern California for a weekend in wine country, it was very inexpensive and allowed us to have a easy launch point for our destination in the Napa Valley the next morning. And secondly, it was very clean.

Can only address our room but it had fairly new laminate flooring and a newly remodeled bathroom. The bed was quite firm and extremely comfortable and while on the main drag into the city, was reasonably quiet. The manager was friendly and helpful during check-in. They offer some pre-packaged of danishes and coffee which were nothing great but again, this is a very inexpensive two star hotel and I wouldn't expect anything more.

If you are passing through, whether last minute or like my wife and I, where we couldn't see spending the money checking into one of the nice hotels in Napa or Yountville late at night, this is a perfect spot.

Room Tip: All the rooms are along the main street entering Martinez so you do hear traffic driving by throughout the night but it really isn't that bad.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin Y
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days during the Christmas holiday. One of the nicest motel managers I have ever encountered. Even though I did not arrive til after 10pm (flight delay) they were courteous & ready & willing to help in any way. Loved the little danish pastry as a morning snack. Room was very clean & once the blinds were closed the room was nice & dark...which is good if you sleep late.

Thank you to all @ the Muir Lodge!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Really enjoyed staying here for a night. Wood floors large flat screens and motionsensor lighting.which are adjustable. Mini refridgerator and even a danish to help open my eyes in the morning.beds were really comfortable and prices were very competitive compared to the lets say not so great hotels across the street. Definitely recommend it if need a place to stay for a night or even a week. Nothing bad to say about this place .

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank oregonduckfan503
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Good:
- Older, 50's style roadside motel that doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't. Small, easy to find, easy to park, no fuss. Not luxurious, but neat and clean.
- No silly add-on charges. Wifi included, with password volunteered at check-in.
- Smallish but comfortable room, nice decor.
- Large bathroom; coffeemaker, minifridge, microwave & breakfast pastries.
- Short drive to downtown area. Easy freeway access. There was road noise, but it didn't keep us awake.

The Bad
- On check-in, they wanted to record my driver's license number (not my license plate, or make/model of car) "for the folio". I refused, and we argued politely for a few minutes. I prevailed, but this should never have been asked.
- Room was non-smoking, but there are chairs and ashtrays set right next to each wall a/c unit outside. So the smoke gets drawn back into your room and it smells of smoke anyway.
- Pool is right next to the main road. I wouldn't want to swim there.

The Ugly
- The luggage closet is a black hole desperately in need of a lightbulb.

I wouldn't want to make a long visit, but for a stopover it met our needs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The location is awesome, just 0.2 miles from Hwy 4 and the John Muir National Historic Site. It's not so close to historic Martinez, but it's still walkable for dinner. It is close to a railroad, but so it everything else in Martinez, including downtown areas.

My sister noticed that there was a small hose running from the pool pump into a leaning trash barrel. The water was dripping out of the trash barrel onto an electrical circuit. When I mentioned it to the front desk guy, he thanked me and told me that someone would be by that very day to fix it! That's the oldest one in the book. I did not use the pool, and the sketchy situation was in a cage where prying hands could not reach it, but this did not impress me in the least bit. I would hate to be at the hotel when something is wrong with my room.

The hotel is very affordable and fairly comfortable. It's basic, but I enjoyed it. I would probably even go back if I needed to, but I would do so with my eyes wide open.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo