“John Muir's home”

John Muir National Historic Site
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Martinez
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum dedicated to the founder of the environmental movement.
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Nice to see where John Muir lived and hear stories from the past. The ranger did a great job.

There are newer reviews for John Muir National Historic Site

Reviewed March 6, 2012

Fairly typical former home of an illustrious historical figure. My main recollection is that it has one heck of an attic. Well-maintained house and grounds. Like a museum...

1  Thank Rick M
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have long felt an affinity for John Muir, his interests and his life. I am quite lucky to be able to spend time at the John Muir HIstorical Site whenever I have the urge and never tire of the grounds. I love the old house with it's antiques, photos and a very palpable peaceful feeling throughout. I can so easily imagine myself moving right in. Taking advantage of the ranger led nature walks is something I take advantage of twice a year, always in the spring and fall, and I've never tired of them yet. When I feel the urge for a good bit of walking and time to myself, I love the almost 6 mile hike on the Muir Heritage Hike Train on Mt. Wanda - so few people seen, it's like all this land is your alone. Perfect for exercising the body and mind as nature works out the brain kinks. It can be fun to visit all the typical tourist attraction spots the big cities have to offer, but it can be just as rewarding to get back to nature, spend time with oneself, and investigate small town hideaways.

*If you want a guided tour of the house you need to make a reservation with them, if you'd like to go through the house on a self guided tour you can do this any time it's open (seven days a week, 10am-5pm) They ARE closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.

3  Thank Ann B
Reviewed February 20, 2012

imagine John Muir walking from here to Yosemite!! visit when an event is going on

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Not only a great movie - a wonderful old house where he lived with his wife.