“Brilliant hotel, didn't want to be anywhere else!”
Review of Hotel Hermann

and 1 more site!
Hotel Hermann
Ranked #2 of 157 Solden B&B and Inns
London, England
“Brilliant hotel, didn't want to be anywhere else!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stayed here as part of a large group at the end of Jan 2012.
From the moment we arrived to putting our bags back on the taxi, the staff were warm and friendly and really couldn't do enough to help. They really made the trip.
Would agree with other reviews - it's not ski in ski out, but a short walk (probably 7 mins) puts you on the red 21. Coming back, you can either pick out the off piste section from the red 7, or just come back off on the red 21 and go back the way you came! Taxis are an option too - only 10EUR for an 8-seater (and they're all 8-seaters with room for boards/skis). Essentially, it wasn't as much of a pain as I'd been expecting reading the other reviews - it's still the closest I've stayed to a place where you're able to get on a piste!
Ski room had nice heated boot racks, which always makes a bit of a difference! Didn't go to the wellness rooms so can't comment on those.
We had that lovely moment the morning after we arrived (having arrived 2 hrs late due to flight delay and in the dark) where you open the curtains to utterly spectacular scenery - the view from our room was just beautiful.
At dinner, the wine was so free-flowing that you had to ask them to stop topping you up - on the grounds that you have to go to a mountain the next day... The food was nothing short of fantastic, seriously, some of the best food I've had vs plenty of restaurants. I consider myself to be a bit of a fussy eater, but that just wasn't a problem as you picked main courses while eating breakfast. Breakfast also was great, the usual continental stuff, but quality cereals, nice bread and always a hot option (with porridge and crepes always available). The chef came out of the kitchen one night to wander round all the groups and ask us if we were enjoying his food - which we thought was a nice touch!
Our room was clean and warm (which was no mean feat when it was -20 outside) but picking your shower-time is wise, by 7 you're looking at a tepid splash around. Beds were comfy (although the continental pillows aren't great - not that you can hold that against the hotel really, more the country!) and the room was big enough to put everything away, and even had a small seating area.
Our rep Lucy was great, and despite not having been there all that long and this being her first season, she seemed to know everything. She's also a boarder as well as a skiier, which was cool for our enormous group of boarders.
Happy hour at the bar was from 5-7, where the beer was half price. This largely meant that we didn't bother doing hot, overcrowded, smokey apres-ski anywhere else - perhaps a bit boring of us (given we're all in our 20s/30s), but the bar in the hotel with comfy seats and being able to hear each other was too tempting! We also had a couple of friends staying down the road who were able to sit with us in the bar, and even sat next to us while we had dinner a few times, as they'd eaten earlier - it was really nice that they were able to feel welcome too. The large seating area in the bar was really useful on the whole, and they had a few board games/cards to play, so it was a good place to chill out and re-group. But sticking around this area meant that the trip into town wasn't a problem. When we did go (the staff have a day off in the middle of the week), we took the funicular (about a 10 min walk from the hotel and lands you right in the middle of town) which is free and runs til 10pm.
Overall, brilliant trip, great team. Well done Total Ski, and thanks!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rach_L_UK

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Enjoyed a fun week in Solden. Staff were helpful and friendly especially our ski rep Lucy who went out of her way to book taxis, restaurants, spa treatments and private ski lessons all done in fluent German! The company was lively, views from the chalet spectacular, skiing conditions great apart from the freezing temperatures.
We had a lovely time at the Hotel Hermann and although it isn't ski to door, with the bus and being able to ski within 150m it is not an issue.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Bristol.UK
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I don’t normally write reviews after a holiday (my wife does that) but as she was not with me I felt I needed to respond after I read the negative comments a previous guest wrote.

I am used to staying in expensive, 5 star hotels on holiday several times a year, I have high standards and my comments here will be direct and to the point.

The Hermann should have an extra star. The hotel is of a high quality, the rooms are excellent (all the guests said so), the facilities were first rate and it was well maintained.

Yes, the staff are young(ish) but they were professional, dedicated, good at what they did, and nothing was too much trouble. Indeed, they had all taken the previous negative comments personally. The food was very good and even the complimentary wine was of a good quality and free flowing.

On the down side it is NOT ski in or out (see previous comments) and our huge, well furnished room (106) could have been a little cleaner. Yes, it was about 10 minutes into town but after a few beers in the pleasant, friendly bar and far too much wine no one was going anywhere.

I would definitely stay again and I would recommend it to anyone. See you next year!

Room Tip: Take a football to use on the room balcony - it's big enough.
Isle of Wight
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed here in late February 2012. If it weren't for the slightly liberal use of the term "ski in, ski out" by Ski Total I'd have given it the maximum rating. OK, it's not a huge trek to and from the slopes but it ain't ski in, ski out!
This though is in no way the fault of the Chalet management & staff.
I read previous reviews on this place and went with some trepidation after reading the mixed reviews. The staff are indeed young (this apparently being a negative aspect from one reviewer) but I found they displayed more maturity and professionalism than many an older management team I've encountered in my travels.
If you find fault with the staff here I'd suggest you stay at home since you're just a born whinger.
The food is very good, the wine flowed plentifully (maybe a tad too much the first night but that's another story...) and my room was probably the best I've stayed in. I doubt I could have afforded this room if it had been in France!
Beware false accusations from imbeciles with a bone to pick. Go there and make your own mind up.

Room Tip: Ask for room 106!
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed at the Hermann the same week as the party who made allegations about some staff members and who were critical of the manager's handling of their complaint. We had a great holiday. Our flight landed at Friedrichshaven rather than Innsbruck due to too much snow. The change of transfer arrangements was well managed. The chalet staff welcomed us positively despite the late arrival and made sure that we were well fed and watered despite the delay.

We stayed in the annexe which we found to be clean, nicely furnished, spacious and comfortable. We did not find the path across to the main building a problem. OK- there was snow and ice around but then we are meant to be skiers and if you are going to be daunted by this then probably you should not be on the moutain!

The staff were friendly, helpful and professional in all of their dealings with us. It is hard to imagine from our dealings with them that any of them would behave improperly as suggested in the earlier review. The manager took the time to check with us personally that we were happy with everything . We anticipate that after a little more time to gel together the staff group will make a truly excellent staff team.

The food at the Hermann is excellent. Lovely location. We would definitely return again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I have recently returned from an amazing trip to the beautiful town of Solden. I was part of a lively group of 14 people staying it this delightful hotel where the staff couldn't do more to help when you asked, since they are not physic yes you did have to ask for things like towel changes but this is clearly stated by the hotel rep, Lucy, at the introduction meeting which if you don't bother going to isn't the staffs fault (I have read the other reviews)

Upon arrival we were greeted by the staff who carried our many bags up to our rooms, despite it being nearly 10pm and then were served dinner.

No it's not ski in ski out as advertised but it is only a 5 minute walk either way to the runs so you can board/ski to each of the gondolas which was a bit annoying at first but Ski total do offer a shuttle service down to and from the piste at certain times, when requested.

The food was lovely, taste and presentation were divine, and the complimentary wine flowed throughout dinner from the moment you sat down until your cheeseboard was finished and believe me we can drink!

Since it is a Ski total hotel all the staff and guests, for our week at least, were British. They were friendly and asked every evening how your day was and where you had been and were generally interested in talking to you rather than just staff-guest 'chit chat'. One evening after I had badly hit my knee the rep (Lucy) offered me her own personal cool pack to help reduce the swelling which she didn't have to do but this is just how friendly and helpful they are.

It is a bit of a trek down to town in the evening especially after a hard days boarding/skiing but the new venicular lift is about 10 minutes away from the hotel but it does stop at 10pm although there are always cabs about to ferry you back for 10 Euros however many people are in it. We stayed at the hotel most nights and still had a great time. The Friday night quiz was great and my group won (with practically no help from me I must add!) Maybe not so good for small groups or people who want to be close to the night life.

Wellness centre is only open between 4-8pm which if you come back early you have to wait which is a bit of a pain but is great if not a bit small.

Room Tip: Some of the twin rooms have power showers and they are amazing!
3 Thank Kerri M
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2012

If it wasn't for the 'Indiana Jones' style track that weaves through the woods back to the hotel, the Hermann would be anything but ski in ski out! Fortunately, we had loads of snow, so the track was ok, but this probably isn't always an option. The hotel itself was great. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was excellent and our room was a decent size and always clean. Our only gripe was that no entertainment or music was put on New Years Eve. It was just as well we had a laptop for some impromptu DJ'ing!

• Stayed January 2012