“Chalet Rosanna”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Anton am Arlberg
Chalet Hotel Rosanna
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Chalet Rosanna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love the location of this hotel, right in the centre of St Anton and a very short walk from the main lifts. Lovely bedrooms and bathrooms, if you are lucky then you could get a balcony. Another thing, Scotty's bar did not cause too much disturbance to some mates who had rooms above it owing to the fact I think the music stops at 12.

Really enjoyed the food, although its all inclusive you feel like you are in a restaurant as have to choose your meals. Amazing afternoon teas also. The breakfast bar was a tedious though, it was all cramped into a corner so had to wait a some time to get anywhere near the hot food and tea/coffee facilities.

The decor in the main communal areas really does need updating, the sofas have seen much better days, really tatty and for the amount you pay I think mark Warner could revamp this area in the same way they have done the bedrooms.

The staff were nice but not as engaging as they have been in past years. There used to be a weekly quiz mid week and award ceremonies if I remember rightly, it brought the hotel residents and staff together a bit and agree with the last thread, there needs to be some toilet facilities that does not mean you trudging up to your bedroom.

Effortless transfers and a mere 1 hr 45 mins from Friedrichshafen airport. You don't touch your baggage, its left and taken outside your rooms on arrival and departure....although I felt for those poor MW staff dragging our bags to our rooms when we were quite capable of doing it ourselves!

My favourite resort EVER but for the amount you pay I think the Chalet Rosanna could be updated in the communal areas and a bit of lively entertainment in the evenings would not go a miss.

Saying all that I would definitely return but perhaps a few issues to address.

Room Tip: We booked early and were told we were going to be together but actually scattered all over the hotel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunatlast

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Herefordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just returned from Sr Anton and our fourth stay at the Rosanna.Bedrooms have been refurbed very nicely definitely no complaints there.Situation very good minutes away from main lifts up .Food was very variable and sometimes cold,wine was rubbish ,even hardened drinkers ended up with awful heartburn!This year the staff with a few exceptions seemed very subdued and did not want to engage much,the manager although a good bloke had a very low profile.Our biggest bug bear was the lack of decent ground floor loos.If you were on the third floor it was a trek at night as they locked the connecting door to Scottys.Saying that the loos in Scottys were awful,they smelled of urine and all week there was no hand towels and the hand dryer was broken.Come on Mark Warner you can do better than that,this review is from a fan of your holidays so please listen! Oh and buy a couple of tidy sofas too

Room Tip: If you don't like music get a room away from the bar
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gaudifantoo
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

After a short flight, we arrived at Friedrichshafen airport to be greeted by two Mark Warner reps who directed us to the coach. We waited for quite a while as people slowly made their way to the transport and were seated. Literally every seat in the coach was taken meaning that some families were spread across the coach. The transfer was around 1hr 45m and we arrived at the hotel for 12pm. We were told our room numbers and sent to find our own way around the hotel. Those who were hiring ski gear were told to go back down to reception shortly after. We were told our bags would be brought to us but they were left outside our room without even a courtesy knock. Once unpacked we were free to explore the resort for a few hours before the welcome drinks and dinner.

The rooms are relatively modern although have a small old-style television. The storage space was particularly good and included two wardrobes and hooks on the wall to hang up coats/ski gear. There was even a tray on the floor for wet shoes however this was useless as my husband's shoes wouldn't fit on together with mine! All rooms had twin beds, but rather than having divans which can be comfortably pushed together, these were made of wood leaving a hard divide between the two although it was possible to roll up a towel and stick between the two beds to try and prevent the inevitable bruises from rolling over in
the night! Another bugbear was that they only had single duvets - small ones at that - my husband's feet hung out the end! The bathrooms were lovely: his and hers sinks, modern fittings and a heated floor! The shower screen was pretty ineffective however the heated floor had any splashes dried up in no time. The balcony was shared and there were often people walking back and forth, meaning that we kept our curtains shut a lot of the time. There were no spare sockets in the room so having to unplug a lamp when we wanted to charge something meant that it was really dark in the room. One word of caution, one of my Apple chargers got fried by the power in the room.

There was wifi accessible throughout most of the hotel however they charged €15 per device for the week! We were told that there were four rooms in the hotel that couldn't reach the wifi and these individuals were given free access on any devices for use in the lobby. We chose
not to pay for the service so can't comment on the speed, however judging by previous reviews, they have upgraded it since last season. We did ask on the last evening if we could use the wifi for a reduced rate. We were told we could have a good deal - €5 per device – um, no thanks!! Other facilities included a locked ski room with boot dryers (which didn't work) and a bar within the hotel, however I think most chose to go through to Scotty's or to avoid it completely. Our room was on the opposite side to Scotty's so we had no trouble with noise in our room.

The food was really good, however our dining experience was ruined by the dinner arrangements. The last thing we wanted to do at the end of a hard day's skiing was to arrive for dinner at 7.30pm and then wait ages for the table to fill up before being served, meaning dinner was often dragged out over two hours. Being forced to socialise with people who obviously considered themselves better than everyone else was particularly frustrating. Unfortunately this put us off eating in the restaurant despite not wanting to miss out on the food. This said, the staff were really friendly and patient with guests who decided to look at the menus only once the waiters had arrived to take our order.

The resort itself is ridiculously expensive with a pint of beer costing a minimum of €4.50 and seemingly average main courses in the restaurants around €30. I bought some squash on the hill one day and it cost me €3.30 - far from being the refreshing treat I thought it would be! There was hardly any access to free wifi anywhere in the resort, however you could get it in the InterSport at the bottom of the main gondola and in the panorama restaurants at the top. The skiing was good with lots of choice although the pistes were not groomed and as such it seemed there was no difference between the piste and off-piste. I don't know if this is because we arrived the week before the season officially started or not.. There was also no
apparent difference between blue, red and black graded slopes! The hotel offered a trip to Lech/Zurs for €15 each however you could easily get there yourself for free by skiing down run 17 and then catching the free ski bus.

On the whole we enjoyed the holiday and found the hotel nice. It was just a shame that the company were particularly unpleasant and you were unable to choose not to socialise with them without paying extra to eat out. My husband summed it up well: we were made to feel welcome in one of the world’s most expensive hotels, however we felt totally out of place in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spuriosity
Hailsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I went here with my Father and had a great time. I cannot praise this hotel enough, everything about it meets expectations.

The location itself is fantastic, a 2 minute walk to the main gondola, ski shops, restaurants, it is in the centre of the St. Anton. We arrived and the staff were already and waiting to take us to get skis so we could kick on first thing in the morning. SO much better than faffing around half asleep and hung over in the morning!
The hotel itself is in good order - probably could use a few new sofas but that's not the worst thing in the world! Only real disappointment was the fact the boot warmers didn't work. On the plus side the boot room was next to the front door so no lugging all your gear through the hotel!

The rooms themselves had been recently refurbished, not to the highest standard, but everything was comfortable and clean. Sheets were clean and crisp - something I struggle to find! We were near Scotties but I had no trouble sleeping - I couldn't hear anything.

The staff were incredibly friendly and chatty, all of them were around the 20-25 mark, always full of energy and willing to help you in any way they could, Cannot praise them enough.
We chose to go on both ski hosting days and had a fabulous time - the young chap we got had only arrived 4 days before but had spent the two days previously knowing them runs! Very patient, ensured that everyone was happy with the speed, type of runs we were doing etc.

The food was good - always had a nice hearty breakfast to set up for the days skiing. There is a choice of 3 dishes for dinner so I could always find something that I liked. Wine is included (and quite nice too, all local Austrian wine) but as soon as you order dessert it stops being free - so grab a few more bottles before you do. The staff didn't seem to mind - they were quite happy to hand you two of each before they took your desserts.

I would happily stay here again, met some lovely people and had fantastic holiday, well done Mark Warner.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mcumming03
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at this Chalet for the Easter week, snow conditions were not brilliant but the atmosphere at the Chalet Rosanna compensated for this. The staff are very helpful, kind and always prepared to assist the customers with their varied requests. The food is plentiful, particuarly the breakfasts. The noise levels can be dissipated by asking for a room on the opposite side to Scotty's bar and keeping the windows closed! It appears the noise emanates from people seeking late night taxis from the taxi stand that is outside Scotty's Bar. The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms spacious with plenty of hot water! It is unfortunate that Mark Warner are using Strategic Airlines as it was not a comfortable flight either on the way out or the return journey.

Room Tip: South side and on level 2 or 3.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pollyallen
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have been to the Rosanna three times now and it is an excellent Mark Warner property. The rooms are very good. I have learnt that you need to make sure 2nd or 3rd floor as far away from Scotty's Bar as possible. I was in 326 and it was fine - the wifi has been improved although you have to pay 15euros for each appliance ie laptop and i phone.

There has always been a great crowd in this hotel and I have always travelled alone and met great people. This time I had to fly home a day early and although the manager did not have to he arranged a transfer with Inghams on the Saturday. When Inghams messed up and I missed the bus Adam Summerfield DROVE ME to Innsbruck in his own car on his day off!!!! This was way beyond the call of duty but he told me he had promised I would get to the airport on time and he was going to make sure I did. If I was a stunning 25year old there may have been a motive but I am 57 !! I have to say Adam is one of the best Hotel managers I have come across. A credit to Mark Warner - I would always recommend this hotel especially if Adam is managing it

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jillyh
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

We had a great week in March. This is a very well run chalet and we would go again. It's big enough to avoid mixing with people who need a hair dryer on a skiing holiday. The food is first class. Book early, bring ear plugs or sleep outside Scotty's opening hours. The Wi Fi was OK. Strategic Airlines may not have the most modern aircraft, but our flight arrived early on both legs and Friedrickshaven is a gem of a regional airport. The rooms and public areas are well up to Tyrolean rustic standard. However, the ski/boot room resembles a 4th XV changing room.

Stayed March 2012