“Great resort for "cruising" slopes”
Review of Hotel Madeleine

and 1 more site!
Hotel Madeleine
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Obergurgl
Surrey, England
“Great resort for "cruising" slopes”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband, daughter and myself stayed here for 6 nights over Easter 13. We booked with the hotel directly and Michael (the proprietor) was great to deal with and answered all my questions promptly and in full via email. We reserved a renovated family suite (main entrance into a private corridor, 2 separate rooms, 1 an Austrian twin, the other, a lounge with double sofa bed, 1 very nice, modern bathroom with bath and integrated shower overhead). The room was clean, bright and had a nice but not expansive snowy vista from the balcony. It was also very quiet.

We had booked half board and the food was good. You could choose from a salad buffet every night then chose, from a menu, your starter, main and dessert. There was also cheese to be had from the buffet. So it was a mix of self and waiter service and this is where it went wrong for us, several times. You are allocated "your" table for your entire stay, an oddity to me! I much prefer to choose where I sit. I would hope this might be to assist with continuity and that each "section" would be managed by the same staff. Not so in our experience, on 1 night, we had 4 different members of staff ask for our order, after waiting 40 minutes I enquired as to where our main course was and was brought fish (I had ordered the meat dish?). This happened again the next night. It was common practice for the restaurant manager to come round and make inquiries as to how your meal was, so, against all my British non complaining instincts, I politely but candidly mentioned, the inconsistencies and overly long wait times between courses. From that night on things were great...so it pays to be honest!

The hotel is a 3 minute walk from the ski hire shop (suggested by Michael and housed underneath the Edelweiss and Gurgl hotel - they were fabulous, probably the best staff we have encountered on all of our ski-ing trips) the ski lifts are adjacent to the ski hire shop.

The ski-ing was perfect for us. We like cruising and frequent stops for a coffee pastry and something stronger on occasion! We skied in both Obergurgl and Hochgurgl, it's a very high resort and the snow was abundant - gorgeous! No queues, plenty of space on the slopes for every skier and a fast modern lift system. Those that like expansive challenging runs in abundance might struggle after a few days.

Why 4 stars and not 5?
As explained, dinner service was patchy. We also stumbled on the fact you could also order pizzas from their Italian restauarant next door as part of your half board option (This restaurant is owned by the hotel and connected internally to the hotels dining room but open as well to external patrons). I remember looking longingly on at our next tables hot steaming pizzas and asking how much they were, "oh", said our fellow guests, "it's part of the HB!" We were never made aware of this, we did enjoy many pizzas from there on in though! - they were delicious.

The final gripe is there were no mirrors in either bedrooms or the hall of our room. So, the room that conceivably accommodates 4 people have only the bathroom mirror to work with. As every skier is aware, a day on the slopes results in a serious case of helmet hair, a condition that requires rectifying - most commonly achieved with the aid of a mirror! When we asked for another mirror we were made to feel our request was overly demanding. It took much persuasion from myself and a suggestion we borrow one of the many mirrors decorating the public areas after they claimed they had no spare mirrors to offer. They finally agreed after I reminded them there were least 12 mirrors decorating the public areas and this was just on our level! Hotel Madeleine, guests are not being difficult, demanding or vain because they would like a mirror in their room, at Euros 1500 for 6 nights I think it's fair to say it's expected!!

Would I stay again? - There are lots of lovely hotels in Obergurgl that we would like try out, so no.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms face away from the road so will be quiet, family suites recommended for their sp...
2 Thank Ellie09_11

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Madeleine at Christmas 2012, my husband and I and our two teenage sons. This family-run hotel has comfortable and spotlessly clean rooms, and is efficiently run. The staff are a delight and so helpful. The spa area is a wonderful treat at the end of a hard day on the slopes. However, the food......the food is truly exceptional! A memorable gala dinner on Xmas Eve. Can't recommend this friendly hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: We chose a larger room, which as lovely but our kids had a standard twin, which was excellent. Both...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PhillyF
Shropshire
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed in this lovely hotel during the second week of the Easter Holidays. This was our first visit to Hochgurgl, which was chosen for its altitude due to the time of year. On arrival we were greeted warmly by Nicole ( the owner) at reception and given our room key. The hotel is built into the side of the hill so it appears to be only two storey from the frontage. However, this is quite deceiving because it is built on several levels at the rear, so is much larger than it's outward appearance. We stayed in room 107 wich was a genergous double with a double sofa bed, balcony and seperate bathroom and WC which was traditionally furnished and spotlessly clean. The standard of cleanliness throughout the entire hotel was exeptional as was the quality of the food. Breakfast was plentiful with a good selection of hot and cold food from the buffet and a comprehensive choice of hot and cold beverages. The evening menu choices are selected at breakfast each morning, with a choice of soups and mains from the six courses available. The salad bar was the same each evening as was the cheese board. Drinks aren't included with the meal and can be quite expensive. This hotel does not provide tap water and water is 4.50 euros a bottle. The restaurant offers a good selection of nice wines ranging from 30 an 40 euros per bottle upwards. The staff were always polite, efficient and helpful towards their younger guests too. Our 12 year old was offered the childrens menu when she wasn't keen on the adult choices one evening. We also found the earlier restaurant times advantageous ( 6pm -8.30pm) after a hard days skiing as we skipped the afternoon snack most days. The Madeleine also boasts a lovely pizzeria which opens for lunch and makes the most wonderful traditional pizza and pasta dishes. A complementary afternoon snack of cake, sausage and bread is also provided daily from 3 until 5 in the lounge/restaurant. The snack does not include beverages, but these can easily be ordered at the bar.
The owner, Michael, personally greeted all of the new guests with a friendly handshake on our first evening during dinner. This personal touch was very much the ethos of the management, with nothing being too much trouble. I requested 3 extra pillows and a bathrobe for our daughter and much to our surprise they were already in the room when we got back from reception.
The hotel is ideally situated, being an easy 5 minute walk to the lift station. If you rent equipment from Scheiber Sport next to the lift you can store your skis and boots there over night free of charge, which was super useful. This meant we never had to use the hotels facilities at all.
The village itself is spread out along the main street and mainly consists of hotels interspersed with a few ski equipment shops, a bank, a cafe and doctors surgery/chemist.If you like shopping , the much larger town of Solden is a 20 minute bus ride away, down into the valley.
During our stay, snow conditions were excellent, although visiblity was poor on a couple of days, verging on down right dangerous.
On our first day we took the chair lift to the top and could not believe that the lift had not been closed when we arrived at the top. Visibilty was reduced to the person next to you by a thick, smog like cloud presence. We, as were others, quite relieved to reach the bottom after cautiously making our way down. The next day, we were shocked to see how close that we had been to some steep slopside drops that are unprotected! The mountain restaurants were all very good with spectacular views from the the Top Mountian Star and great atmosphere in the Nedderhutte.
The ski instructors put an entertaining weekly ski show on in the village each Tuesday night which is worth going to watch and you can also have a go at night skiing too. A day pass to ski at Solden can also be purchased, which was recommended by the guests that went. Hochgurl can be reached via cable car and has some nice long, wide blue runs for the family to skii together.
The spar area is nice, modern and compact with a seperate adults only relaxation room with complimentary water, fruit juice and fresh fruit available in the main spar area. Nudity is common within this complex so may not suit everyone and clothing is forbidden in the sauna and steam room. My husband and I, found ourselves to be the only ones sporting swimwear in the jacuzzi when the bubbles stopped! This did, however, put our 12 year old daughter off using these facilities. She was more than happy to watch one the English channels on TV or make use of the free wi-fi.
I would seriously consider returning to the Madeleine, even though we do not usually visit the same place twice and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends. The six course evening meal and super snow conditions sold it to my hubby, the wi-fi and food for our daughter and the friendliness of staff and cleanliness of the rooms did it for me!

Room Tip: Rooms beginning with a "1" are higher, with a better view. The rooms all face a mountain...
4 Thank bizzybody
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from our week in the Madeleine and all four of us thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

rooms much bigger than we enjoyed in France at New Year they were very nice warm and clean with plenty of space.

location is perfect for just about everything Ski lift 2 mins walk away / town centre 2 mins away free bus to Hochgurgl 300 yards away and a very efficient bus service and its free.

Food was very nice and with 6 courses each night and of excellent quality if fact breakfast was equally good plenty to choose from and all lovely quality and lots of it.

Negatives which I would change in a perfect world-
Nudity in the spa was very off putting for my 9 & 13 year olds
Tap water not being available for meals
Bottled water and wine was expensive however house white very nice and reasonable

All in all a very nice hotel in a very nice place we will return to the Madeleine in the near future it's a very nice well run hotel !

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tony b
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Madeleine is a great hotel. I am a real fusspot when I travel, but to my husband's suprise, we didn't have to change rooms for a change! Our family room was superb; two seperate rooms with an adjoining hallway area and balcony. The rooms were the most spacious I have had at a ski resort. Our room was 101. I was worried because it was nearest to the stairs and lift but we heard nothing, no noise disturbance.
We used the spa twice. The children found it most amusing because of the European nudity! Being prude Brits, we kept our swimming costumes on for the spa pool. You have to take them off for the sauna and steam room, but the children didn't go in there. I find the nudity thing rather off-putting (especially with children around) but guests only walked naked from the shower to the sauna which were at the far end of the room. Near the spa pool, other guests covered up whilst the children and I were there. Top tip: apples and juice are complimentary in the spa area.
The food at the Madeleine is excellent and plentiful. My only complaint about the restaurant is that it was very warm. The staff were happy to open windows but I feel bad asking in case others didn't like the draught. Top tip: pack light clothes for evenings, no exra woollies necessary!
There is a good menu for children with five or six choices. The staff were happy to swap this for a lovely fresh pizza from their adjoining pizzaria twice for our children.
The hotel was beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The view from our room on the first floor was straight out to mountains, with the church to the left: beautiful. There is a car park at the lowest level and a fire station next door, so maybe lower rooms (the 400's) may not have such a great view (according to other reviews here).
I was expecting to pay for some extras, and as a family we probably spent just under £100 on drinks in the hotel for the week. It is a shame that tap water is not available with the 'skier's snack' and evening meal, and tea is only complimentary at breakfast. I could have done with a kettle in the room. The 'skiers snack' from 3.30 was most welcome, and always something different and delicious (but you have to pay for drinks).
The hotel is close enough to the slopes to get back to the room for lunch. Our children (8 and 10) appreciated taking off their boots and resting out of the sun for the hour and a half before afternoon ski school (eating rolls pinched from the breakfast bar and drinking cheap fizzy pop from the Spar supermarket!!).
I will definately return to the Madeleine. Despite a ski accident on the third day and ending up on crutches, I have to say it was the best family holiday ever!

Room Tip: Highest rooms are the 100's, lowest are the 400's. The view is fabulous from room 101. It is...
3 Thank clara m
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have just returned from the Madeleine, I booked an apartment through Crystal as this was the only room available. I decided to look on the Madeleine' s website just out of interest more than anything and saw that they had a suite, I contacted them via email and it was available for an extra €180 a week, It was fantastic so much room not like any ski resort hotel I've stayed at before, we had a bathroom with bath and shower, separate w.c, a lounge and large bedroom with a balcony. We noticed other rooms looked lovely and would have been just as good.
The rooms are downstairs and to the rear of the hotel, they do overlook a car park but you do have a view of the mountains and afternoon sun.
The hotel is very warm but better that than cold and they have a lovely drying room for your boots and everywhere in Obergurgl appears to be very safe for your equipment.
The food is fantastic as well is the service, we had a waiter called Stefan who was always so helpful and friendly, in fact all the staff were brilliant and worked so hard for the comfort of their guests.
We didn't use the spa facilities or the skiers snack because our days were so full with lessons so I can't comment on those but they did look great.
We found the drinks to be reasonable and we settled up at the end of the week, Nicole gave us a tin of sweets for our journey home, a lovely touch.
The resort was also brilliant for us, we are in our fifties and came to skiing late, in previous resorts we felt a little old but here the majority of people were our age or older but that doesn't mean the resort is full of oap's sitting in chairs far from it just go to the Nederhutt at 4 and watch them rocking, the youngsters wouldn't keep up!
Thank you Michael and Nicole, we hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms by the stairs and lift maybe noisy with the door banging. Room 309 is the suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Second time to Obergurgl, first time in Madeleine and we loved it! It's clean, neat, the rooms are lovely and its just the right size so that it doesn't lose its character. The staff are exceptional - very, very friendly and accommodating - the manager/owner even went to the village especially to find me some english breakfast tea. The food is wonderful - tasty and plentiful. Its very convenient for the slopes too. We will definitely go back next time ....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family