“Fabulous Hotel but not perfect anymore”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Alpina deluxe
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Obergurgl
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our third consecutive year at The Alpina. It is a wonderful Hotel with beautiful rooms but this year it wasn't perfect the way it had been previously.

The rooms are too hot and we had to sleep with a window open.

One evening Ivana was ill and not able to work in the restaurant. It was chaos. One of us got her soup 10 minutes after the rest of us, and one of the main courses was served 5 minutes after the others. One of us has to have a low fat diet and he was offered lemon sorbet every day for dessert, but the evening Ivana wasn't there, we had to remind them 3 times - and then 2 came at the same time 10 minutes after everyone else had finished theirs!

The food has become very 'fussy' with lots of foam on most things - no need to do this as the food was fantastic previously and it really hasn't improved things.

The Spa is lovely and treatments excellent value, particularly in the morning when they are cheaper.

Overall still a lovely hotel, but if Ivana ever left, I think there would be big problems with service in the restaurant.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites category D are fabulous and worth the extra
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vivien C

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is our 4th year of staying at the Alpina and it just gets better and better. It is also nice to see the same regular Skiers and Staff at the Hotel. During the summer some refurbishment has taken place and the dining area where we sat has new furniture and a brighter feel to it. Food as always is first class and you do not go hungry. Wi-Fi is available but the signal strength is not that strong, so you will not be able to 'stream' but we were able to do the basic e-mails etc. Have already booked for 2014!!!

Room Tip: South facing room and it is worth going Cat 'D' or 'E'
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have visited this gorgeous Hotel in the highest Alpine parish in Austria on 8 occasions over the last 9 years, as a couple and as a family and have nothing but priase. It is a most friendly hotel, with all staff keen to ensure everything is done to make the stay as memorable and enjoyable as possible. Whilst the reception, lounge/bar, gym, pool, sauna, bedrooms are all of the highest quality, the food is the highlight. We genuinely thought the food outstanding at our first visit all those years ago, and yet having just returned from another super week, we feel the food is even better still - if there is nothing on the main evening menu to tempt (very surprising as it is all superb and most wonderfully presented) then what ever you would prefer will be provided without question. It is very much a family affair, with Herr Platzer and his wife very much in "hands on" evidence, giving continuity, personal interest in the highest standards, and a genuine friendly welcome to all guests. We will keep returning so long as this brilliant establishment continues. In all the visits, we can not think of an occasion when we have asked "can we have a..." or may we do...." the reply has never been no - it is always "of course; you are welcome". Three cheers for The Alpina!

Room Tip: The main hotel rooms are more luxurious than the annex, but the annex is very comfortable (at a slgh...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DorsetRichards
Reviewed January 23, 2013

my husband and i are from the US. we just got home from our fifth stay at the hotel alpina. this hotel has wonderful staff, great location for skiing. (50 yards ski from mountain) wonderful food (included in the price). comfortable rooms/ beds. huge swimming pool (heated) work out room, great spa. we will continue to return each year.

Room Tip: there is an old and new section of the hotel. we have always stayed in the new section.
2  Thank melanie m
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here during January 2013. from booking in to leaving and all points in between the Hotel exceeded our expectations.A prime site in the village, dont worry about it being on a hill the hotel will ferry you up and down! Our room, a Junior Suite,was spacious with a very good bath room (big Bath) shower, and separate toilet, all very well appointed, always clean and well maintained by the friendly staff. The restaurant as a dining experience and particularly the food would compete with many a Michelin starred establishment. We were looked after, in the main by Ivana who would be an asset to any hotel. The bar was professionally run by Thomas (the first Austrian comedian I have met) top notch service! The relaxation areas , sauna,s steam rooms, hot tubs , pools made the return and recovery from the pistes easy and very enjoyable. The web site cannot do it justice Our week was not long enough and we will be back before seasons end. I could write much more but I belive you get the picture. Brilliant place!

Room Tip: Research is the key to this I would say rooms overlooking the piste at the back of the hotel provid...
1  Thank jocularum
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I honestly can't say much negative about the Alpina as it is a very very nice hotel.

The lobby is spacious and comfortable and the drinks are very reasonably priced (for a hotel bar), in fact the drinks were the same price as local bars. Tom the bar man was very friendly and helped put a smile on everyone's face.

The Spa was lovely. I really liked that it had a separate naked section so that the less inhibited could get their kit off in peace and shyer people could avoid embarrassment.

The boot room was the best I have seen for a long time with TVs showing the daily snow forecast so you could prepare for the days conditions. Maybe the security in there was a little lax though. As a snowboarder I did have to walk to get to enough gravity to get down to the lift as the run in and out is very flat (or a little uphill) at certain sections.

The room (junior suite) was massive, with a bathroom to match and a separate loo. Great bathrobes (really soft and fluffy) too. I had a great view of the mountain from one side and I forget what was on the other side as I didn't really notice, but I think I could see the ice-rink.

The style of the hotel was both rustic and modern with traditional knick-knacks adorning the stairwells and the staff in their dirndls.

Service in the restaurant was also very good. Manuel, our waiter, was friendly, informal yet very professional. Breakfast was good for me. I love bacon, eggs and sausage so I was well fed for my days on the mountain and there was a good selection of juices and teas etc. I would say there was a good range of cold meats, cheeses, cereals and other breakfast treats to go with it too.
Dinner was a little more disappointing. Food was presented immaculately. The chefs were maybe just trying a little too hard though sometimes to produce fine dining. Alternatively, maybe my British palate is not refined enough? I must say though that each ingredient was cooked incredibly well, just perhaps a few dishes were a little too complicated. Great wine menu, with extensive Austrian selection.

All in all I would highly recommend this hotel and I would happily stay here again; on balance though I cannot award 5*s because I love my food too much.

Overall

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank magicpatmarker
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed in Dec this year and had a brilliant brilliant week The hotel is one of the best in Obergurgl (and we've stayed in several). I can't recommend this hotel enough.

The room was spacious and well appointed with a separate seating area which was very clean and well-looked after. The beds were very comfortable and unlike many Austrian twins there was no gap down the middle which was a nice change. There was only on soft pillow on each side but when I asked for a second for each of us it was delivered immediately. We were slightly apprehensive that our room was next to the lift but we barely heard it and there was an extra door between the bedroom and the room door which meant it was extra quiet. The view form the balcony was over the village and slope back into base station and very nice. The hotel is set on a hill just up from the main village but it was a slow steady walk back on foot (wouldn't recommend it carrying skis)

The ski room was adequate with plenty of boot warmers. The only downside was that there were no individual lockers for skis which I quite like and the door into and out of the room form the outside didn't seem to be locked despite having what looked like the facility to do so. I would have preferred my skis to have been slightly more secure. They did arrange for very easy ski service with the Lohmann shop which was easy and painless and meant our skis were picked up, serviced overnight and then delivered before first lift the next day which was very welcome.

The hotel bills itself as near the slopes/ski in ski out and it is - technically. To get out either way to either Festkoglbahn or Rosskarbahn lifts involves a lot of poling or walking with yours skis before it gets an incline you can ski down. To get back at night involved skiing down the same (very) flat piste which runs along the back of the village. Which is fine but even with doing no turns and just tucking in and going for it form the top of the slope I never once made it back to the hotel and had to do a lot of poling to get back to the ski room.

The Spa was fantastic and what made it especially appealing was the Textile area which meant us prudish Brits could keep our kit on when in the sauna and hence we felt able to use it without embarrassment. It was worth it and very quiet for such a big hotel. We didn't try the pool (which looked a tad small) or the gym but both looked great.

The bar was a bit big but it was very quiet, although the open fire was a welcome addition. The female bar tender looked a bit confused when we asked for a Kir though and it took her senior colleague to teach her how to make one, so we didn't order any other cocktails.

What makes this hotel so wonderful is the restaurant. The whole area is split into several areas so you never felt too lost in a mass of people. The food was at least five courses every night (plus salad and cheese) of the most well-cooked and well-presented food we've experienced in a hotel restaurant in a long time. It was accompanied by excellent service with lots of staff around to make sure plates were cleared quickly and there was little wait between courses, or lots if you wanted it. Our waitress, Ivana, was brilliant and allowed us to practise our German on her every night. The menu that had been put on the table was in English but when they heard us speaking our (rusty) German, it was changed to a German menu without fuss. Ivana was a brilliant sommelier too and made fantastic and honest recommendations of wine from a very good wine carte.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple