All reviewsboot roomumbrella baroutdoor poolperfect locationnext yearnorth facing rooma la carte restaurantski shoplarge hotelfondueski schoolevery nightpublic areasski hirespa areaskiing holidaymain course
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Well, as a keen and long time skiing family, I cannot praise the overall experience of staying in Obergurgl and at this hotel enough!

We have skied a number of alpine resorts, and see the Edelweiss & Gurgl as a real treat. The rooms are spacious, very comfortable and well appointed. The food had been good on our two previous trips to this hotel, but I have to say that this time it was even better. Previous reviews have rightly emphasised the unbeatable position of the hotel with reference to the ski school, hire shops and the two main ski lifts, and if you do have some children in your party (if that is allowed!), then this is a real advantage, removing some of that horrible morning stress getting everyone sorted out.

There is a nice indoor pool and Jacuzzi, with a lovely heated outdoor pool which is great to soak in and watch the sun set at the end of a long days skiing. The spa offers a range of treatments and also has the usual sauna, steam room, gym, etc if you want to partake or simply unwind.

The skiing is not unduly challenging, but we found the piste grooming to be pretty good, and there was enough variety to keep us occupied. Some of the runs have glorious views, which compensates for the lack of difficulty, and the slopes on the Hochgurgl side (reached by cross valley gondola or regular skibus) are very sunny and good cruising territory for the more timid.

What is undeniable is that the food and drinks in resort or on the mountain are excellent value in comparison to most French resorts, and the local dishes, including Tyrolean Grostl are delicious. The local people are uniformly helpful, warm and genuinely friendly, and the resort has a safe, family feel to it.

If you are a skiing family who want a bit of pampering in a really good hotel, and enjoy the convenience of low stress door stop skiing, then a trip to the Edelweiss would be a lovely treat which I can strongly recommend. If on the other hand you dislike children, think you are above everyone else, are hypercritical of everything and crave attention at every turn, then maybe you'd be better off elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank DoctorDaft
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Just arrived back from the Edelweiss and Gurgl (E&G) in Obergurgl. This was our fourth trip to Obergurgl (3rd time at the E&G) We love Obergurgl, the resorts lovely, with excellent snow condtions, and it's proximity to Hochgurgl (better slopes and a free 5 minute bus trip with your Ski pass) is really good. We decided to stay at the E&G due to our friends wishing to return, (stayed at the Gamper last year which is highly recommended) There has been some redecoration of the Dining rooms and some replacement of sofa's within the Bar areas (try a search on You Tube) however my main concern is the attitude of the Staff, we were travelling as a group and requested that we dine together, you would have thought that we'd requested shares in the place, the Maitre de's attitude was attrocious, added to which the general demeanour of the staff was terrible. the Reception staff were surly and very unhelpful. The food had improved (somewhat) but if your made to feel unwelcome the E&G in our opinion will struggle to keep what good reputation it may have had in the past.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank Thatsmysunbed1
Reviewed December 29, 2008

This hotel is in pole position, quite obvioulsy has much repeat business and should be as good a place to visit as its brochure eludes to. I visited just before Christmas to find the hotel very busy and occupied by "package tour Brits", the typical "nouveau skiiers" one finds these days who are not only rude on the slopes but are generally loud in the bar loud at dinner and have no sense what-so-ever of keeping their horrible unruly children under control. That said, one should not blame the hotel for this, but there is no attempt to get the children served at dinner in an early sitting and then off to bed where they should be at the appropriate time. This would allow the rest of us some peace and quiet which is why many of us go away. The hotel itself has a laisse-faire attitiude to polite guest complaints and when I poited out that there was food in the corridor it took 56 hours for it to be removed. I have the photograph to prove this but alas it is rather unpleasant to look at! In particular my complaint was of some importance from a Public Health stand point. I had noted several people in the Hotel had been very poorly with D + V and noted a risk of norovirus (winter vomiting disease) was a real risk. The main food in the hotel is buffet served and this presents a risk in its own right to the spread of norovirus. I decided after whatching the horrible habits of British guests (putting food in their mouth with their fingers and then holding communal serving spoons) that I would not risk the food any longer. Also, in spite of having a suite I had no greeting from the manager on arrival, again poiting to a business that is both arrogant and focussed on the mass market. The boot room is one of the best I have ever seen and located next to a ski rental shop, the two lifts out of the top end of town and the Inghams office!!
The slopes had had tons of snow, but were poorly pisted and generally very lumpy throughout the week. For the relatively small area that is Obergurgl the runs were limited, narrow, poor quality and very poorly pisted, marked and sign posted.
When I made it over to Hochgurgl, the pistes were far betted marked and maintained and I would consider Hochgurgl as a place to ski just prior to the main season rather than Obergurgl. For many years I have promised myself I would go and stay at the Edelweiss and Gurgl, a true institution in the history of skiing in Austria. I thought its position would be good and it is; I thought it would be worth throwing some money at and it was not. Poor pistes, poor piste care and a hotel that is living on its reputation. I would like to say that is dangerous is this day and age, but I suspect there is a strong market for this type of hotel amongst the "neaveau skiiers": my only hope for those of us with "out of the norm these days views" is that a really deep and effective credit crunch makes this place worth visiting again!!!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank GentlemensGuide
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Party of 2 adults and one young child. First time to Austria and first summer mountain holiday. Only have positive things to say about the whole holiday. The resort was fantastic with loads of marked walks. Excellent bus and lift service. The hotel is attached to the main village lift so easy access to mountain walks. Now the hotel; good sized quality room which was spotless. Bathrobes and slippers, even for our daughter. Great facilities and food was faultless. It was lucky that we spent so much time walking as i would have needed a larger plane to fly back on. We all loved the hotel. Real mix of nationalities at the hotel. Brits deffinetley in the minority which isnt a bad thing. All staff spoke excellent english as my Austrian isnt so good. Already looking to re-book for next year!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank wozzermatter
Reviewed July 23, 2008

This is an excellent Hotel in a prime position. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by the friendly and attentive staff. Our room was beautiful and kept spotlessly clean and furnished and decorated in a way that you felt comfortable. Food was varied delicious and plentiful in a lovely restaurant with polite and friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. There are lots of leisure facilities including an indoor/outdoor pool and again all are kept to a very high standard. We were on a skiing holiday and utilised the in house sports shop to have our skis serviced. Again the staff were extremely helpful and did a great job on our skis. The ski and boot locker is in the basement and is warm but not hot and well laid out with plenty seating for everyone. From here you leave through a door to a flight of stairs. Not the best start to the day you might think but they are well covered with rubber matting with handrails so no problem there. At the top of these stairs you turn left and walk a few feet to the chairlift (now Gondola) - what could be more convenient. When you come down off the slopes at the end of the day there is an Umbrella Bar at the top of the stairs which you can ski straight up to and have a Beer.
We loved the Hotel, the people, the service, the convenience etc
Suffice to say we liked it so much we are going there for a Christmas Honeymoon in December 2008 !

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank David G