All reviewsboot roomumbrella baroutdoor poolperfect locationnext yearnorth facing rooma la carte restaurantski shoplarge hotelfondueski schoolevery nightpublic areasski hirespa areaskiing holidaymain course
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. Chose the smaller rooms with balcony, overlooking the ski lifts. Brilliant, we spent a lot of time in the afternoons on our balcony.
Ski in, ski out perfect. Snow perfect. Staff were very helpful and efficient - thanks to Arnold and Andrea in the restaurant for their good service.
Swimming pool could get quite overfull with children in the afternoons/early evenings. Best time to avoid this was to swim as late as possible. There was also a children free evening.
Internet connection could have been better - but probably impossible with all the mountains etc.
One point which I thought was very good and which I didn't expect, was that when we paid the bill I noticed that we had been credited with €60 each time we had eaten out - family of 4. (We went for a fondu one evening, and out for a meal another evening). We had informed Arnold beforehand that we wouldnt be coming, but even so, I hadn't expected a discount - we had booked half pension.
All in all a wonderful visit and definately a hotel I would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Go for the smaller rooms overlooking the pistes - the balcony is worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We recently stayed here for February half term , the hotel was excellent so comfortably and homely , without doubt one of the busiest weeks of the year but still there was plenty of room in the bar and lounge to relax , the food was very good and varied every night and should you not like any of the options there was always the fallbacks like steak etc
My only 2 complaints were in breakfast the beans were cold nearly every day ! Also although the wi if was free you had to get password tickets from reception that ran out and had to be renewed all the time ( at no cost ) just seemed a strange routine ,
The location to the pistes was superb with a huge locker / boot room

This was our second visit to the hotel and would return again without doubt

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Can't fault this hotel, have stayed several times. It couldn't be closer to the ski slopes in terms of location. The staff are very friendly, facilities are great (fantastic spa area, outdoor and indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room ....) Food has always been great, especially the farmers buffet which is held weekly during high season. Breakfast is also a hilight!.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cek22_22
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Still a great place to stay after 14 years of visits! Incomparable location in village centre, metres from a chairlift and gondola. Stayed in room 509 last week- spacious, nice seating area, balcony and bathroom. Great food and restaurant service with good wine recommendations. Try the Austrian Sauvignon with fish, the Eiswein with Nachtisch, and a glass of Trockenbeerenauslese with cheese (sweet but fresh). Only complaint is that smoking allowed in bar area, nauseating for those of us enjoying the smoking ban in UK!

Room Tip: Choose high level south facing with balcony for superb outlook!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2014

A friend had recommended this hotel (they had stayed some years back) so we were very excited for our stay. The most annoying factor was the smoking inside, every day your clothes would smell. All non- smokers are pushed to the outskirts of the room whilst smokers can all sit around the bar. Although they say there are " smoking areas" it's a feeble statement. They are basically the central point of the room and wraps around the entire bar (not a separate room) so you cannot escape it. You return from a lovely day on the piste with fresh mountain air, but as soon as you walk out of the boot room and into the hotel you are hit with the choking fumes of cigarettes. It made us want to retreat back to our room rather than enjoy a drink in the bar area. I think it's incredibly backwards to allow this In an establishment and had I known, I absolutely would not have booked our stay there.

We were also not impressed with the food on certain nights. For example, one night we couldn't eat the swordfish, it was dry and flavourless. This is not a general statement, some nights it was nice but it was not consistent.

The pillows in the room were far too soft for me, I kept waking up with painful neck ache (I had to take painkillers some mornings). When I asked for a harder pillow they gave me one that was hardly any different. In the end I had to roll up a blanket so that I had sufficient support. I'm not sure the bed linen was changed at all as there was a dirty mark on my sheet the whole time.

There's not enough space in the shower, every time you moved you would knock the temperature lever. You have to stand very still in a confined space, not ideal after a long day skiing!

Finally, one of the things we were looking forward to the most was the outdoor pool to relax in every evening. You couldn't relax at all as it was not warm enough!! Such a disappointment.

There are some positive points, the ski and out out location is great but bare in mind the runs are limited if the lift is closed up and over to Hochgurgl. The town itself is peaceful and friendly. The staff at the hotel were generally lovely and the hotel decor is cosy and traditional.

Unfortunately we would not return.

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Larna23
EdelweissGurgl, Manager at Hotel Edelweiss & Gurgl, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Larna,
thank you for your feedback, which we also received via e-mail. Each week we ask all our guests for a short direct feedback through our feedback system. This gives us the chance to immediately fix problems and improve week by week. We had many positive comments in the last few weeks and we deeply regret that we couldn't meet your expectations. We will fix the things you mentioned and we will be back to you in writing to your private e-mail account.
Please be sure that your feedback is very important to us. We hope we welcome you again at the Edelweiss & Gurgl hotel.
Kind regards,