All reviewsboot roomumbrella baroutdoor poolperfect locationnext yearnorth facing rooma la carte restaurantski shoplarge hotelfondueski schoolevery nightpublic areasski hirespa areaskiing holidaymain course
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This was our first visit to the Edelweiss and we have had a wonderful time. The best skiing holiday to date. We have already booked for next year. We travelled through Inghams but would book directly with the hotel in future, as they offer a full package including flights etc ( didn't realise at time of rebooking). The hotel has a traditional Austrian feel, it is open plan with plenty of space for relaxing, the large fire in the lounge made it cosy in evenings. The only downside is that the bar areas all permit smoking maybe a non smoking area would be possible? We stayed in an Edelweiss suite which had a double bedroom, a lounge with a sofa bed made up for the children and a bathroom there was plenty of space. The room like the rest of the hotel was immaculate and very comfortable. We had a north facing room with a lovely view of the church but we did need to close the windows at night due to late night revellers (not the hotels fault). The staff were very attentative throughout the hotel especially our waiters Arnold and Tomas. The food was excellent. I am vegetarian and there was always a good veggie option and my husband enjoyed the meat dishes. The boys were happy with the children's buffet as there were always two choices, spaghetti bolognese being one most nights. We used the pool and the hot tub but I didn't venture into the saunas as prefer to keep my swimming costume on!! The huge advantage of the hotel is the ability to ski from the door, the lifts are at the top of the boot room stairs and the resort has lots of wide blue runs great for family skiing, the boys loved the animal forest run. The hotel ski shop was also really helpful. I had problems with my boots ( my own) they remoulded them and gave me lots of useful advice without charging.
A super holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Claire L
EdelweissGurgl, Manager at Hotel Edelweiss & Gurgl, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Edelweiss & Gurgl hotel. We are looking forward to welcome you again soon. Best regards, Family Scheiber and staff

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We returned here after 10 years of mainly skiing in France and immediately felt really welcomed and back home!! We had a south facing room which we loved for our last sit in the sun at the end of skiing. Room a bit small but balcony more than made up for it. It is a child friendly hotel but that gave it a relaxed ambiance and as they are so well catered for in all areas, we heard no bored voices ever!! As mentioned in other reviews the boot room and proximity to the main lift and apres ski bar are second to none and obviously the Nedderhutte should not be missed. Don't tell everyone or they will all go!! The ski show put on by the instructors is the best we have seen. PS Take a kettle if you want early morning tea.

1  Thank KentDaffodil
EdelweissGurgl, Inhaber at Hotel Edelweiss & Gurgl, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Thank you very much, we are really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very much looking forward to welcome you again. Family Scheiber & the Edelweiss & Gurgl team

Reviewed March 28, 2012

My partner and I recently returned from a fantastic weeks skiing (6 out of 7 days had clear blue skies and great conditions on the slopes) and once again stayed at the Edelweiss.
Anyone reading these reviews will soon realize the location of this hotel and its facilities are one of the main reasons people keep coming back and like Obergurgl itself, it seems to retain very loyal customers.
Once again the hotel itself did not let us down. We had a lovely north facing room on the second floor overlooking the beautiful little church with the mountains in the back ground. We were not disturbed by early morning or late night noise and would gladly have the same room again.
I have stayed previously in a smaller south facing room, with balcony, but I would not go back to that option if given the choice.
The food at the evening meals was very good and the Austrian wines are a delight.
Staff in reception, the bars and ski shop were all helpful and friendly.
My only complaint concerns the inconsistent service at meal times. During breakfast we were either swamped with service or left searching the room to get someones attention. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, if you got down after 8:30 it was hit and miss if all the breakfast options would be available. One morning I witnessed a group of people (all British of course) patiently queuing for scrambled egg for about 20 minutes.
At the evening meal the service, whilst always friendly, was often very slow and quite often you could see people at other tables looking at their watches and wondering if they had been forgotten.
In previous visits there always seemed to be someone there overseeing the service but on this occasion it seemed like the waiters were just left to their own devices, which meant service was a bit erratic.
They should take a look at the excellent service provided by the staff in the brilliant Nederhutte, still the best apre-ski party in the Alps.
In the end it did not spoil our fantastic holiday and I will book the Edelweiss again.
On a final note, I normally I book the hotel direct but due to increased difficulty in getting direct flights to Innsbruck from airports in the north of England, I decided to use Inghams. This proved to be a very pleasant and trouble free experience with excellent staff and service from start to finish.

2  Thank JulianRD
EdelweissGurgl, Manager at Hotel Edelweiss & Gurgl, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Thank you very much for your very helpful review. We already discussed your suggestions with our service and breakfast crew. We are sure that this will now work on our high service standards again. Please let us know your wishes upon your next booking and we will be happy to arrange a nice table for you. Best regards, Family Scheiber & the Edelweiss & Gurgl team

Reviewed March 18, 2012

So, to start with this was our second stay in the Edelweiss, and our third trip to Obergurgl in the last three years. The hotel is very pretty and is situated at the very end of the village, right on the slope and next to the gondola. Parking is available outside the hotel and the staff there will guide you in or park for you. You can pay for the underground garage but its not part of the hotel and I would suggest that you would only need it in very cold /snowy conditions - not in March in 16 degrees!
We book direct as we drive from Belgium, and we arrived there at around 11.30am in the morning, and our room was already available. The reception staff are really lovely there, very welcoming and very efficient. The porter is especially nice - even with the amount of luggage I bring!
Our room ( 157 ) was on the south sunny side of the hotel, with a small balcony and Austrian twin beds. The view was gorgeous - straight onto the gondola and mountains beyond. The room was comfortable and the bathroom had a bath - essential after a hard day's skiing. My only gripe was that the bathroom this year was much smaller and there was nowhere to put "stuff" - at least half a dozen things fell off the tiny shelf and into the loo!
The ski hire shop is under the hotel and attached to the boot room, so getting your kit is easy and quick, and you get a discount if you stay at the hotel. The boot room is heated and dries your boots out perfectly every night.
The dining room in the hotel is very large and some of the tables face out onto the slopes. We were disappointed this year to be given probably the worst table in the whole room, especially as we were returning guests - we were right by the entrance to the room and as such the traffic to and from the buffet did not give us a relaxing dining experience. The food at the hotel is very nice - there are five course every night but even after skiing I have never managed more than three! The first time we stayed at Edelweiss the service in the dining room was absolutely impeccable, however this time our experience was very mixed; some of the staff were very grumpy when asked to provide wine/water etc, telling us that they were tired; a couple of nights we waited a very, very long time for our main courses and then the wrong ones arrived, and one morning at breakfast we couldn't find anyone to get coffee/water at all. There were also incidents of breakfast basics like scrambled egg and bacon not being refilled at 9am. Other guests in different areas of the dining hall had better experience than us, so maybe it was just where we were seated?
As it was my birthday while we were there, my husband had arranged for some flowers to be delivered to the room - and they were spectacular - especially when you think that they had to be transported up the mountain for me. The hotel also sent us a bottle of sparking wine to the room, which was a welcome touch.
One of the reasons why we choose this hotel is the Spa - it is lovely - just what you need after a hard day on the slopes. There are a couple of saunas, a steam room and an infrared cabin. However, please, please note that just like all Spas in Austria and Germany it is a Naked Spa! If you want you can easily cover up with a towel, but please respect the fact that is naked - I feel quite comfortable being naked with other naked people but it makes me very uncomfortable when someone ignores the signs and wears swimwear and then looks at me as if I'm odd.
I also booked a package of treatments with the beauty therapist there, every evening to try to pamper my poor battered body after being on the slopes. I had a variety of treatments from a facial to a body envelopment, to a hot stone massage - totally wonderful!
There are indoor and outdoor pools, a gorgeous relaxation area and a jacuzzi too.
Another nice thing is the Schirm Bar just at the bottom of the slope outside the hotel - its situated literally at the bottom of the slope - you ski to it - and your Jagertee is waiting for you :0)) Its a great meeting place at lunchtime and for apres-ski, and the lovely Kevin who has run it for the last few years will be sadly missed when he leaves, but I'm sure the fab atmosphere will continue!
So, that's the hotel - but just a few bits about Obergurgl itself - the skiing is amazing, easily accessible and suits all levels. Wide pistes, great grooming and never, ever too crowded. Lift queues are usually about ten seconds and if you happen to fall off a chairlift a very nice man will be there to pick you up in record time, even if you are 6ft2!.
The ski school is of a very high level, and the instructors are very professional - I have come on so much since I been skiing there - due mostly to Manfred's patience, reassurance and cuddles!
If you go to Obergurgl you must try the Nederhutte apres-ski party which is just up the first piste from the village - live music, dancing on tables in ski boots and skiing down floodlit pistes afterwards ( or the skidoo if you have over-imbibed! ). There is also a good evening to be had at David's Hutte with traditional Austrian music and a solid Austrian food. Finally there is a ski show every week put on by the Ski instructors with fireworks and the most amazing skiing tricks and stunts. Well worth seeing.
So, will we be back? The answer is probably - we have already booked for Christmas this year, but after our not so great experience in the dining room we will check out a couple of other slope side hotels before we pay the deposit this time. Skiing in Obergurgl is not a cheap holiday and we want to be sure that we get the best experience we can for our money.

1  Thank tobyteabag
EdelweissGurgl, Inhaber at Hotel Edelweiss & Gurgl, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for the nice recommendations for other guests. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please inform us upon your booking which table you like to have. We installed a table booking system which ensures that you get the table you like. We already discussed your review with our service team and we are sure that the service is on a high level again this week. Family Scheiber and the Edelweiss & Gurgl team

Reviewed March 17, 2012

We spend a week at Edelweiss and Gurgl in February 2012. That was not the first time in Obergurgl, but the first time at this hotel. We have been very pleased with the service, the best ski room ever! In addition the gondola on the doorstep, there is nothing more to dream about... The room was really big and spacious, very clean, nice large bathroom with shower and bath. Separate loo as usually in Austria. Good food, good choice for breakfast and tasty dinners. The only bad thing was that the swimming pool has been freezing cold, we couldnt stand it. It was too cold to swim in it or even put one leg in the water... We spent our time in yacuzzi.
Worth recommending, good value for money spent.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family