“comfort, charm and character, at the foot of a ski slope, what more do you need”
Review of Hotel Austria

Hotel Austria
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Niederau
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I am motivated to write this review, not just because of the fabulous family ski holiday spent at the Hotel Austria: but also to counter some of the very negative reviews. Whilst I appreciate everyone’s accommodation expectations and experiences are radically different; based upon my experience (and usual Austrian standards) I struggle to understand how some could rate this hotel so poorly.

From a Family ski perspective:
The hotel is placed a stone’s throw from the slopes and main gondola. Ski hire and storage facilities within the hotel if required.
It has charm and character and management and staff were always friendly and helpful.
Nice rooms, fantastic to have a bath, with great views from our balcony and windows.
The food was, overall, fantastic with children’s options if required.
Swimming pool and wellness facilities, excellent for burning up the last drop of children’s energy and resting tired adult limbs after hard day on slopes.
Several of the other guests I spoke to were all ‘regulars’, some visiting for 4th or 5th time.
If you have not visited Austria in winter before: be advised that most hotels are very hot so take some light weight clothes for lounging around. You are unlikely to find tea and coffee making facilities in rooms, so you could try smuggling in a small travel kettle.

My final advice, if you are looking for the clinical, pristine sanitised hotel experience, do not go to any Austrian hotel. However, if you can manage a mixture of comfort, charm and character, at the foot of a ski slope, the Hotel Austria is for you.

Room Tip: I believe they have some family rooms however, our slightly older kids were happy in their own twin...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JezLawton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This was our first time Skiing in Austria and we loved this place.
The hotel location was excellent with Equipment Hire Facilities on the premises.
Ski hire staff were very professional and the equipment was first class and well prepared
Our room was spotless and all of the staff were friendly and welcoming. (Especially in the resturant)
Food was reasonably good though I did miss a hot breakfast (Cold Buffet Only)
If I return to Niederau this Hotel will be my first choice
Hugh Miller
Cumbria
England

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hugh M
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I have been skiing in Niederau three times previously over 15 years due to to the charm of the area and its people. I had looked at the TA reviews of the Hotel Austria and thought they were strange because on my previous visits I had spoken to so many people that had been very positively about it. With this in mind I arranged to stay at the Austria and experience it for myself.

This is clearly not the Ritz nor priced as such but is a really delightful ski hotel in a small unprentious village with a fair amount of quality skiing available in the area.

If one is a 'moaner and groaner', I'm sure one can pick some faults in any hotel including the Austria. However, my wife and I certainly had no undue problems with room smells (we are 100% non smokers), beds, towels, bells, management, service, staff or food. Personally we go skiing in Europe to have a complete change from our life and business in the UK and enjoy the changes in culinary experiences, traditions, customs, language, scenery etc. Niederau and the Hotel Austria provided this in a very charming and cosy manner to the extent that we shall certainly stay there again. Thankfully we don't come to Austria to ski but expect to have British food, TV or language.

The location in the village center is beyond reproach. The gondola, lifts, ski hire, bars are all directly outside the door, just like the bus stop to go to Auffach for more quality skiing.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zuffenhausen
Bucharest
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We've just returned, my husband, my two year old daughter and I from a week stay in niederau, at hotel austria.
My impressions of the place is of a ski chalet rather than a four star hotel, as advertised. everything is basic and dated, the rooms are spacious but quite shabby. I have never slept on a more uncomfortable bed in my life, the towels are a disgrace, there are absolutely no toilleteries in the bathroom, and many other shortcomings. the staff are ok, willing to please, dinner is edible, but the breakfast buffet is a shame, extremely poor choice, they always "forget " to refill it, so there were people queing to grab a slice of ham every morning.
To sum up, the owners are not at least bit interested in upgrading the customers' comfort, when this could be done with a minimum of effort.
There is absolutely no attention to details that make the difference, as we were accustomed to in other austrian hotels (we've travelled in Austria on numberless occasions).
The strong point of this hotel is its location, right accross the telegondola. The ski slopes are well maintained, as all are in Austria, but there are rather few of them.
All in all, a pleasant stay that could have been much better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank carina77
cleveland uk
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Austria for New Years week. Perhaps the best location for the skiing with ski hire shop within. First impressions were ok but we were soon to be disappointed. Our superior room was spacious but reeked of cigarettes. The beds were the most uncomfortable I have ever attempted to sleep on and really creak when you move. The walls were paper thin, we could hear word for word every conversation in nearby rooms. The satellite tv had no english channel whatsoever but that is not unusual in Austria. If we had watched any tv we would have had to match our channel with the channels watched in the next room because the soundproofing was non existent. Then the snoring started. If we closed our eyes we would have thought we were in a dormitory. Not content with trying to keep guests awake all night with the poor beds we found that the church opposite does not stop chiming its bells throughout the night. Not the hotels fault i know but please bear it in mind if you are a light sleeper. 6am is greeted with an elongated period of bell ringing for some reason. The whole place was airless and stuffy but because of its location and the noise from those enjoying the apreSki it was not possible to have the bedroom window open The bathroom was nice, the bath huge, good for bathing the muscles after skiing. It seemed to be the only time i got to sleep when i had a long soak after the skiing. The towels provided were a joke. The two hand towels and two bath towels only slightly larger were ancient and extremely thin. They were also not changed very often. If you used the hotel pool you had to use the towels from your room also. Dressing gowns had to be hired at about £2.50 per day. I heard reports of some guests taking towels from the cleaners supply so that they were able to manage. The hotel bar had a limited choice of drinks. If you want a Martini you could have one in the dining room but not in the bar. Breakfast was fine with usual arrangement of bread, meat, preserves, scrambled eggs and cereal. The evening meals were another story. A four course pretentious meal presented to you at breakneck speed, the food was obviously being kept on a hotplate. As soon as you put your cutlery down the plate was whisked away for your next course to be thrown at you. We could see the meals being taken through to the hotels "Sturble" where non residential guests could buy a meal. While we didn't sample this food it looked superior to the food presented to staying guests. A new experience for us was the fact that travelling couples were placed at a table with other couples. We found this very offputting and our experience of this was not good. All in all a very disappointing experience, a million miles from the normal Austrian hospitality previously experienced over many years and would definately not recommend or return

Room Tip: Go for rooms to the rear of hotel for a quieter experience and take your own towels and dressing gow...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ian'n'jill
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We dropped on this place by booking a last minute deal, with no idea where we were going. For £159 for a week half board, we were a bit sceptical, so were amazed to get the 4* Hotel Austria.
THe room was beautiful, lots of pine, and a balcony filled with colourful flowers. The views up the mountains were fantastic.
The staff couldn't be more friendly and accomodating, and the food was outstanding, though vegetarians may be stuck, as the order of the day was meat, meat and more meat!
Local residents were so honest. We lost our camera, we think at the top of the mountain and asked the ski lift operator if he'd seen it, to which he replied 'no'. That evening, while walkiing past reception, the hotel manager asked if we had lost our camera as someone had handed it in. That wouldn't happen in the UK thats' for sure! Would def go again, Austria in the summer is lovely, and Niederau is a great little village.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EBradshaw
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I booked the hotel through Thompsons/Lunn Polly in August. It was advertised as a Four Star, Half board, with veg meals as well. The manageress was very unfreindly. The matress was substandard, when I complained, the manageress suggested I sleep on the floor!!!

The continental breakfast was ok, with a good selection of soft drinks. However the evening meals were a disgrace. Since I was the only guest not eating meat, they just made up some rubbish and passed it of as a Austrian delecacy! When I complained to Thompsons, they claimed they had no controll over it, despite rating it as a 4 star hotel.

Rooms were very clean, but lack of bedroom comfort and poor evening meals means only 2 stars.

Room Tip: Insists on a good matress!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank omar i
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niederau
Hotel Sonnschein
#3 of 11 in Niederau
Hotel Simmerlwirt
Hotel Simmerlwirt
#9 of 11 in Niederau

Been to Hotel Austria? Share your experiences!