All reviews games room coach parties main course evening meal soup leger holidays salad bar lovely hotel sister hotel table tennis coach tour crazy golf ski school separate toilet steam room outdoor pool visited this hotel
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed here in December this year as part of a Leger coach group and had a great time.
Niederau is a beautiful small town nestled high up in the Wildschonau region of the Alps. Fantastic scenery and architecture all around, great at any time of the year. A bus service runs regularly through town, and a land train too. A cable-car takes you to the top of the mountain for fabulous views. Nearby Worgl is a good town for shopping, easily reached by bus.

The staff - We were warmly welcomed by Gill Thaler and found her to be very friendly. She's English so no language problems there. :-) Her husband Herbert and their staff were all very nice and efficient. We were even treated to a performance by their daughter (Emily?), who was learning to play the harp just like her father. On our last day, as we were about to leave on the coach, Gill came onto the coach to bid us goodbye, which I felt was a lovely touch.

The food - There was a good choice for breakfast, it was a typical continental breakfast buffet style. Lots of cereals, breads, cheeses and meats, boiled eggs, fruit, juices and hot drinks. Certainly sufficient to set us up for the day. We were always out for lunch, so I've no idea whether you could get something there for lunch or not. For the evening meal, we always got three choices of main course, one of them vegetarian. Although, if you asked them very nicely, they could do a simple alternative like an omelette. It was a three course meal, so we had soup of the day which was always tasty, the main course, then a set dessert, which if you didn't like it, could be replaced with ice-cream perhaps. Portions were ample enough and the food was all very nice. Good basic meals that aren't messed about with.

My room - I had a lovely room on the first floor which overlooked the front of the hotel, with fantast ic views of Markbachjoch Mountain and a 'red' ski slope. It was a large room with modern looking furniture. The bathroom actually had a bath, which was lovely, as well as an over-the-bath shower. There was a travel kettle and cups available, but you need to provide your own tea, coffee, milk, sugar. Having read previous reviews, I understood that you can buy tea, coffee, milk from the hotel, but it's quite expensive. I came prepared...:-) You do have a fridge in the room for the milk, so no problems there. There was also a safe in the room for valuables, a key safe, not a combination one. The pillow on the bed is what I'm assuming a typical Austrian pillow (I've stayed in other Austrian hotels and had the same ones). It is a square, fairly flat pillow, very squashy. I figured out on previous occasions that I could flatten it into a square then fold it in two to create 'two pillows'. Because I had a double room to myself, I used the pillow from the other bed, but it seems there is no problem just asking for more pillows if you need them.
I loved my room except for just one thing...it was noisy at night. Room 101 is located right next to the stairs that lead down to the foyer and bar area, which gets a bit rowdy at about 11pm, but the noise soons dies down after that, so it wasn't too much of a problem, but if you like an early night, this is not the room for you.

Other - Bar prices are expensive. One night I had ordered a drink before going into evening meal. It cost me 4 Euros for a Cola, but if you wait until you are at your table, a cola was just two Euros. :-) The Christmas decorations in the main foyer were beautiful! So festive.

My tips - Bring tea and Coffee etc with you, there is a Spar shop not too far away for milk. Avoid Room 101 if you don't like noise at night. Get your drinks at the dinner table, not in the bar. Ask for extra pillows if needed, the staff don't bite! Finally....enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Not room 101! LOL
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank loveroflondon
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We have recently stayed at the Hotel Sonnshein in Niederhau. I was a little worried about the quality of the food for coach parties after reading some reviews on the internet. I need not have worried. The food was excellent with plenty of choice and home made. The hotel staff were friendly and although they were very busy with 4 coach loads of people, still had time for us. The rooms were pleasantly large and clean. We would recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank crazylady1943
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed at the Sonnschein as part of our Leger Austrian tour. The hotel is situated in a beautiful location, the staff and facillities are both excellent. We had an authentic,large comfortable twin room, which more than met our expectations, it was also spotless and well looked after. I had previously read on this site that the food was not so good, well I can only speak from experience and that is to say that we we found it varied, appetising and well prepared.

3  Thank LynBristol
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Yet again Gill, Herbert and the staff, Yana, Margie & Andrea made our stay in early December a very enjoyable experience. I think so highly of this Hotel, I actually asked Gill about staying privately and not throught Leger which I have done on all three previous occasions. Well done to all, I hope you have snow now, we have got it over here in Blighty. Merry Xmas & Happy New Year Gill, Herbert, Emily and staff.

1  Thank ripto
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stayed there on a Tour visit but they went out of their way to help us. The hotel was very very clean. the Staff were very freindly and helpful, and the food was very good. We would stay there again no problem

1  Thank auldchuck