“Second holiday at the Harfenwirt, even better than last year”

Harmony-Hotel Harfenwirt
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Niederau
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Second holiday at the Harfenwirt, even better than last year”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Enjoyed my stay very much. I think the food has improved and Herbert is a delight. Staff are all friendly, rooms clean and pool lovely. Delightful companions at meals, going again next year. Just remember that Niederau is a very quiet valley and there isn't a lot to do in the evening except walk and sit in the bars.

Room Tip: Dont sign up for the Undiscovered Wildschonau package with Inghams. You get a Wildschonau card from...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I ski in niederau and have stayed in Harfenwirt for past 4 yrs? I have nothing but praise for this hotel, new rooms are wonderful and Herbert and Walter are two of the hardest working people ever. Food is wholesome and always with a choice, just what is needed at the end of a day skiing and there is a wine list. Pool area superb. A great hotel in a fabulous location, already looking forward to my stay in Jan. Ignore bad reviews.

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Skenn
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Very very disappointing food. After having visited Austria more than twenty times, this hotel definitely served the worst food. It seemed that Herbert was trying to cut every corner he could. The food was not typically Austrian, tasteless, frozen vegetables etc etc
The staff were not welcoming, the waitress rather surly - a great contrast to all the other Austrian hotels I have ever stayed in!
The room was extremely tired and worn but it was clean and there was plenty of hot water.
The swimming pool however was great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janet B
Lancaster
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I chose this hotel because a my father needed a single room, and it looked as if most previous reviewers were quite happy with the Harfenwirt. We had a half-board deal with a complimentary packed lunch.
Check in was a slightly bizarre affair with Herbert, the proprietor, advertising the fact that my partner and I weren't married, but would be sharing a room. Maybe it was supposed to be funny, but we thought it was a bit inappropriate. Other than that we got no information about anything to do with the hotel like mealtimes or where anything was.
Our room was very nice, with a balcony and a view. Dad's single room was a bit gloomy, but clean and acceptable.
The first evening meal was a shambles. A huge local wedding party had taken over the restaurant and we were put into the bar to eat. It took 2 and a half hours to complete our meal. We got no choice of food and the very average bottle of local table wine I ordered (no wine list) cost an amazing 16.8 euros. There was nowhere to go after dinner but back to our rooms, because of the wedding. The noise lasted until after 2am.
The next evening meal was served in the restaurant. Still no choice of dishes. The waitress told us if we weren't out by 8pm, we would have to pay 8 euros each because it was a music night. Back to our room then. The noise went on until about 3am.
The next night and subsequent nights we got a choice of 2 main courses. You won't want to go here if you're a vegetarian. This time we had to be out by 8pm or pay 10 euros to attend the Tyrolean evening. We weren't feeling very welcome by this time.
Breakfasts were rather meagre, with orange squash instead of juice, and no variation each day from the basic continental. One morning we were leaving early on a trip. I told Herbert and he said we could have an early breakfast. It did not materialise, and when we returned in the evening he said he'd forgotten, but we should have asked the waitress or the rep. instead of him.
Packed lunches were elusive. Herbert was always busy, and although he eventually produced a bun and an orange when cornered, we gave up after a couple of attempts.
All in all, we felt we were something of an inconvenience to the hotel when they were busy with other events. It seemed rather understaffed, and Herbert seemed to be a bit of a controlling type who really didn't know how to delegate. It wasn't a cheap holiday, yet I got the sense of everything being done to a price. I haven't had this feeling in an Austrian hotel before. All in all, we were disappointed and I wouldn't recommend the Harfenwirt.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank hillywilltravel
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have just stayed in niederau Austria for 3 weeks and have had most of my meals at the Halfenwirt , I must say that as of yet I cannot complain about anything. Herbert the owner always comes and has a chat , Maria is there providing great service to the tables and the food I must say is fantastic.! in my three weeks of eating at the halfenwirt I have found nothing that I did not like, this hotel in my opinion is a must.!!!! i wish all hotels were like this A++++

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tony L
Cornwall
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at the Harfenwirt last September for our honeymoon and had an amazing 2 weeks there. Herbert was lovely as were all the staff! (although like many other said, you will either love him or dislike him, you just have to know how to take him and he works incredibly hard - again like all the staff) we even ended sharing a cab to Worgl with one of the barmaids to make it cheaper for us all! we stayed in the old part of the hotel and the room was always clean and tidy. I like the fact Herbert sits you with others, we ended sitting with a couple who live 30 miles away from us at home and all the guests felt like family by the time it came to go home again.

All the staff were helpful when we needed advice about days out and transport. As was the rep.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely stay again! Thanks to all the staff at the Harfenwirt!! xx

Mr and Mrs Williams

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beth W
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2012

A great hotel. We stayed for a week and would recommend this winter or summer. The staff were all very helpful and Herbert Thaler was the star. He was very helpful sharing his wealth of knowledge and helping us plan walks in the area. The ski area was good and yards away.
The food was very good all week with four courses for dinner.
Excellent facilities and I found the cleanliness better than some upmarket London hotels.
Walking in the area was great and the ski bus was a bonus.

Great week - thank you Herbert and your team.

Room Tip: We were in 218 which had a balcony overlooking the town. Watching the sun go down with a glass of wi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chilledout74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niederau
Hotel Sonnschein
#9 of 11 in Niederau
Hotel Simmerlwirt
Hotel Simmerlwirt
#8 of 11 in Niederau

Been to Harmony-Hotel Harfenwirt? Share your experiences!