“bad return”
Review of Alte Post

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ellmau
Alte Post
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Ellmau
Worcester, United Kingdom
“bad return”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We returned this year to some poor food.
We started with spagetti & a pork chop. Most of the main courses were two items with lots of pasta & the rare appearance of a vegetable . They seemed unable to do a sauce of any kind which was essential with all the pork we got. The fried breakfast disappeared when the Germans left & there was no sign of a free packed lunch ( Inghams brochure).
In fairness we didn't complain enough in hindsight, but we don't go on holiday to do that & heavy hints were to no avail. A pile of chips with an escalope was one meal.
The room was very good as was the rest of it but the cost of soft drinks was too high by far. Other guests got far better at other hotels in Ellmau & I feel we deserved better when the cost of the holiday is considered.

Room Tip: rooms at the back have a lot of noise from traffic. The sides are best
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zelagon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Czech first
Shropshire
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Very warm welcome from this family run hotel. Good food in the form of a buffet breakfast in the morning including warm scrambled eggs and bacon and a five course evening meal. I thought the rooms were superb, very spacious and were kept immaculately clean. Good ski locker/boot room accessible from both inside and outside hotel. My only criticism would be that the bar area is smoking as are virtually all the restaurants in this area. The ski bus stops right outside the hotel. Massive ski area with loads of fabulous mountain restaurants. Went to this hotel with Inghams who I have used twice now and find them to be the most organised company I have been with. I like the way they sort out the transfers, ski and boot hire and lift passes. Another plus for this resort is the very short transfer from Salzburg.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank EnnylS
Lyon, France
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My woman and I were at Alte Post in Ellmau for 4 days in January and we had a very good time there. The food at the Alte Post was the best in the village, we had bad experiences in the places local people did recommend. The sauna is very appreciated at the end of a long day skiing. I will come back there in Summer and enjoy biking, walking...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rdelacre
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2011

This is very good value for money . The atmosphere is friendly and the bar area is a good place to enjoy a drink in nice company with a variety of characters.The food is plentiful and varies from good to excellent. You can order a fried breakfast at no extra cost but the buffet has everything else .The rooms are also big enough with various views from their balconies and they will try their best to give you what type of room you want.We are going back there soon. You can pay a lot more elsewhere for less.Alcoholic drinks are a reasonable price but ,like elsewhere, beware of soft drinks & mineral water prices .Staff are a real treasure - so helpful.

Room Tip: ask for a mountain view - high floor
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank zelagon
Austria
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This hotel for me was ideal. Very central in a small town. The ski bus is right outside for the ski welt so no clobbing around getting hot and bothered carrying your gear. Or if i was not feeling lazy it was a three minute walk to the ski school and Ellmau/Going slopes. I did not find a huge range of restaurants in the immediate area but what we did find was lovely. (The restaurant to the right as you leave the Alte Post was great).

The Alte Post itself was in many ways perfect for my stay. The rooms are basic, spacious, comfortable and very clean, (but no kettle). There are three different restaurant seating areas all of which were again clean, the linen always fresh with flowers and candles on each table. The food was lovely. Breakfast is a mixture of hot and cold and evening meals were five course and very filling. The variety made me want to try new things every day and always served with a smile. The bar has a typical Austrian feel, open fire, friendly and with entertainment. I had no problem sitting there alone because the staff look after you. Not sure if it was my frequency or their professional ways but they knew how I liked my coffee in the morning and it was waiting for me without me having to ask. And they knew, no doubt by my tired expression, whether it was hot chocolate or wine in the evening both of which tasted great. The staff are attentive and speak good English. There is a ski room and a well-being room which was ideal at the end of a hard ski session. I would go back, I miss it already.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank DippyDee
Desborough
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel on 16 seperate occasions, and hopefully, will continue to do so. It is situated centrally in the village of Ellmau and is within easy walking distance of the main shopping area, Church and funicular railway. The rooms are typically Austrian and all have balconies which during the summer months exhibit a wonderful display of flowers. Rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and the tables in the dining room always display fresh flowers with tablecloths changed constantly to ensure they are always clean. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. There is a wide choice of food at both breakfast and evening meal. We would not consider going any where else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank DesboroughTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellmau
Sporthotel Ellmau
Apparthotel Tom Sojer
Apparthotel Tom Sojer
#9 of 15 in Ellmau
Cordial Familien & Sporthotel Going

Been to Alte Post? Share your experiences!