“Affordable all-inclusive family holiday”
Review of Hotel Galtenberg

Hotel Galtenberg
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Alpbach
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Hotel is clean and staff very friendly! Food could be better and kids club (although my kids loved it) could be a bit more structured.
So much is included in the price and the staff were very helpful in making reservations at other restaurants and arranging lifts for us to get to places.
If you're going to visit, you must make a trip to Worgel Wasserwelt to try the watersides (specially the L2) - 2hrs included in the cost if your stay.
Highly recommended as a fun, affordable family holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed April 6, 2013

following a week skiing in Austria,staying at the Galtenberg Hotel i wanted to tell you all that we had a fabulous holiday ...problem free...delicious food ..great location and staff were the nicest hotel staff EVER ...

Room Tip: best location ...looking over the slopes..
1  Thank johnnyw688
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Admittedly he does love skiing and ice cream and haribo sweets which were all plentiful on this holiday so he may be a bit biased but a happy child is a happy parent!

We were a party of 2 adults and 3 boys aged 4, 8 and 10. We had a K8 - I think, the biggest anyway- room on the top floor - 315 - which was large and comfortable. Slightly odd layout and not much storage but since it was such a large room we just had our ski stuff laid out on the floor as the kids room was quite small. But really who cares as we weren't in it much!?! It was clean - though there was a slight smell of wee from the loo area probably due to all the small children missing the loo over the weeks before us but slightly off putting nevertheless. Pillows weren't great but I now know I should have requested a feather one.

But really these are minor gripes as it was a fantastic holiday and very good value. The food was really very good and at times excellent and I do like my food so I wouldn't say that lightly. We overate as there was so much to choose from and we didn't want to miss anything. Huge breakfasts, wonderful freshly squeezed orange juice and a great mix of healthy foods and the naughty stuff such as choccie cereals and pancakes for the kids (I only tried the pancakes a couple of times to ensure they were good enough for them, honest!!).

We skied at the end of March so the snow got a bit slushy in the afternoon so that we made sure we got back in time for lunch (just - it closed at 1.45pm and we aimed for 1.30pm!). Lunch was simple but tasty and all the soups were superb. Unlike up the mountain, you got veggies with lunch so it was worth coming down for it! Last year we didn't bother coming down for lunch but we think our system works if you ski late in the season. Tea at 3-5pm looked fab but I didn't much like the cakes but enjoyed my pot of tea. After all, there was always the ice cream machine!! I think my children had the ice cream twice a day - at least - but ignorance is bliss so I didn't want to ask how many they had had!

Ski school was great - my 4 year old loved the Bobo children's ski area which was next to the hotel. They came in to the hotel with the ski instructors for lunch which meant that we were free from 9.30 - 3pm, bar one day when he was so tired we collected him early. Be aware that the kids only tend to eat the chips (oh and ketchup!!) at lunch with the ski school so I fed mine up with fruit and protein at breakfast and salads at supper to compensate. At the end of the week the 4 year old had races and he could ski - absolutely brilliant (actually I was just pleased to offload him!) and he is very proud of his medal! Lovely instructors who were wonderful with the kids.

After supper my children all loved to go to the kids club to play - there is a great ball area and also x boxes and other electronic games for the older ones - so we could finish our meal in peace. Wine could be bought by the glass for just under 4 euros so you didn't need to buy a bottle - though when we did they kindly kept it for us until the next day if we didn't finish it.

The pool was not that large given that most children tried to get in it after ski classes (v crowded) but they didn't care as it had a fun fountain thing and they could swim outside with snow around them! It is not one for laps but just a bit of fun for the children. I had a facial in the spa which, oddly for us Brits, started with an eyebrow shape. But she did the best eyebrow shape ever and I really enjoyed the facial - book before you leave to get a convenient time.

I think this is a fabulous family holiday. Perhaps I should not have told you as I can't seem to get a reservation for next December as it is already booked up. Please could someone cancel their holiday so I can go back soon?

1  Thank DandNikki
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 4 nights in February. It is a great option for a family ski holiday. Our room was spacious, the food excellent and plentiful, The location was great. Will definitely return

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here as a family of four at February half term. I booked very late (about two weeks before we left!) so the only space they had available was in the "annexe". I assumed this would be attached to the hotel but it was actually a separate chalet in front of the hotel. Only about a minute's walk but you can't exactly do it in slippers or a bathrobe. This was a bit of a nuisance as it meant that to use the pool you had to change there. The room itself was quite old-fashioned, although warm and comfortable with a bunk bed for the kids. The bathroom hadn't been changed since the 1970s - avocado bathroom suite and a fixed shower above the middle of the bath which wasn't high enough to be able to use as a shower (and there was no curtain). The real problem for us though was that somewhere in the chalet is a demon smoker. I don't think it was anyone on our floor as the rooms are supposed to be non-smoking and are occupied by families but maybe on the floor below which didn't belong to the hotel, was someone who seemed to spend every evening (from late afternoon on) chain smoking. The stench of smoke on our floor was awful and it seeped into the room so the room stank too. I ended up having to put a towel at the bottom of the door to try and stop the smoke coming in. I complained to the hotel management but they didn't know where it was coming from. There is a bar on the ground floor of the annexe but we never saw anyone in here. On the plus side the annexe is much cheaper than the main hotel but I wouldn't recommend it because of the phantom smoker.

We have stayed in a few Kinder hotels and several other hotels in Austria. This is an absolutely typical hotel and some of the comments other people have written suggest they don't realise that Austrian hotels are all very similar. There was nothing to make this one really stand out from the others, with the possible exception of the fresh oranges every morning. The hotel imports oranges by the bucket load and provides an orange juicing machine so you get fresh-out-of-the-orange juice for breakfast. It's very rare to find even a five star hotel that gives you properly freshly-squeezed orange juice. The breakfasts were great - pretty much all you could want, and the evening dinners were good too - better when there was a menu choice of main course rather than a buffet. We had a buffet three nights we were there and despite putting vegetarian options on the waiter-served menus, they seemed to forget about vegetarians for the buffets (although there was always pasta).

There is a bijou swimming pool (half inside and half outside) which at the time we went was too small to swim in as it was so crowded. There's also a wellness area with saunas although this was only open from mid-afternoon - annoying if you finish skiing early and fancy a sauna. They also have the no-swimming costume regulation (in the wellness area) that is fairly typical of Austrian hotels - there are no showers with doors so if don't want to let it all hang out then this is maybe not for you. I wish the Austrians would realise that mixed sex naked saunas are pretty much unheard of in the UK - if they want to attract British guests (and there are lots of Brits in Alpbach) maybe they should try and understand our cultural sensitivities a bit better.

The basement has a games and play area for kids. There's a ski storage room with boot dryers and also a stack of toboggans - the field behind the hotel is ideal for a quick post-tea sledging session although some traces of blood on the snow suggested that it's probably best to supervise the children.

The hotel is well-located for skiing, being almost next to a drag lift which takes you up to the mid-station of the gondola. They arranged a free pick-up and drop off at Innsbruck airport which was really handy as it's only a short connection.The ski school come in on the first day so you can arrange skiing lessons for the kids and the drop off point is also at the bottom of the drag lift so you can drop of the kids and then head up the mountain. Downtown Alpbach is a bus-ride away and the bus only goes once an hour. The hotel gives you a 10% discount on ski rental and there's a ski rental shop at the bottom of the gondola which is a short walk away (although it feels quite long if you have to do it in ski boots and carrying poles).

If you're skiing in Alpbach with kids and they're not first-timers (who learn in the main part of Alpbach) then this is probably a better option than the hotels in Alpbach proper, both in terms of facilities and location. If you haven't got kids then Kinderhotels are not really for you.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe (unless you want a bargain and don't mind cigarette smoke)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were looking for a hotel in Alpbach that would accommodate my family (2 adults / 4 kids - aged between 10 and 15) and two other families. I found the Hotel Galtenberg via Tripadvisor. There weren't that many recent and positive reviews from people who stayed for a ski holiday - there however were recent positive summer holiday reviews. After looking at the very informative website we decided to give it a go ... and we were not disappointed! All three families would give the hotel an excellent rating.

Rooms - well designed and spacious. We had a K8 on the first floor (room 103) which overlooked the pool. One of the families of 4 had a K7 on the same floor and the other a K6 on the second floor. All were very pleased with them. I do note some reports of people not being happy with rooms on the ground floor next to the kids zone - which our kids didn't use as it's more for toddlers. The only negative about the rooms was very soft lumpy pillows - however I did mention this when I left and Sabine told me that I should have asked for a feather pillow!!

Food - enjoyed very much by us all, especially the kids who couldn't leave the ice cream machine alone for more than 10 mins! Free fruit and soft drinks also available all day. Mainly buffet style breakfast, lunch, dinner with menu choices and table services for adults most nights.

Location - excellent again - right opposite a T bar giving access to both ski areas. The only negative is that there isn't much in Inneralpbach so it's a (free) 10 min bus journey into Alpbach for shops.

Ski school - loved buy all the kids. For our age group drop off at the top of the mountain at 10 and pick up 3 / 3.30. Young enthusiastic instructors (unlike some French ones!) all with good English.

Skiing - really best for families as runs are mostly easy reds through wonderful tree lined vistas. Not much for the hard core off piste skier but enough to keep us occupied. We all also had a great day at the snow park on the Auffach side. Our 13 year old son had an accident on the slopes and the next morning the hotel arranged for a driver to take him down to the local doctor - all OK, only whip lash.

Hotel - beautifully designed and although the hotel apparently has 70 rooms it never felt crowded. It's a very international mix of people which adds to the feeling of being away from it all for a week! Great spa area with sauna, hamman etc. (no swimwear), good little gym and in / out pool. Beautiful Easter decorations everywhere.

Staff - bar staff, waiters, kitchen servers always had a smile on their face and nothing was too much trouble.

Value - the whole package, kids ski lessons, ski pass for all, meals, room and transfer offers excellent value for money.

Many thanks to Michaela, Sabine. Josef, young Simon and all the team.

Room Tip: We and our friends had rooms on the first and second floors overlooking the pool. Great view with li...
2  Thank Jo W
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at the Galtenberg on the last week of january with my two 11 year old boys. The hotel was clean and the room was nice. I can't say the same thing about the food. One day there was like 4 kinds of potatoes( fried,oven,boiled) to eat. The salads were not fresh all the time. The carrots were brown. The skiing was not so good either it was very sunny and icy and it even rained one night. Well that was our bad luck. But we did have a great private ski instructor named Mike. He was english and he got along great with my boys. You have to walk down a about 200 metres from th ski room and then walk across a road and a small bridge to start skiing. That was the worst part walking on the icy roads. I had to carry my kids skis because they couldn't carry them themselves.The beds were not comfortable I sunk in a bit. We took the free bus to go to Alpbach village and the Sherpa. There's nothing around the hotel. The kids played with the X-box downstairs. We borrowed some toboggans from the hotel and that was fun. All in all I would not go back to this hotel because I have stayed at the kinderhotel in Hinterglemm which was perfect.I have seen better . It took us 3 hours to get to the hotel from Munich airport. The hotel arranged their own private minibus which was 180 euros one way. I liked this a lot and it was very comfortable. Maybe I criticized too much but these are my opinions.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Diego0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpbach
Hotel Boglerhof
#5 of 9 in Alpbach
Kinderhotel Buchau
Kinderhotel Buchau
#1 of 9 in Maurach

Been to Hotel Galtenberg? Share your experiences!