“Chocolate Box Perfect”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Alpbach
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Chocolate Box Perfect”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great location, nice place, nice people, good food. Room comfortable, warm, and cost, if the mattresses a little firm. The only bad thing is the lack of a smoking ban in the bar which made it off putting as a family. Great location, ideal for skiing and Alpbach one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to!

Room Tip: Try and get a room above the conference centre in order to get Wi-Fi otherwise you will be running u...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cre1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

3rd time back to the hotel and as usual outstanding facilities ie swimming pool sauna etc. Rooms in excellent condition and very large all staff extremely helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Food outstanding and plenty of it.
Will certainly return again either in summer or winter as always great service and facilities which ever time of the year.
Village fantastic and our 8th visit over a period of years good skiing for both beginners and intermediates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debra M
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Great food, great staff, great with kids, beautiful views, we loved the swimming pool, the owner even gave us a lift to the ski lift, how about that for service! We would recommend this hotel 100% We will be coming back next year

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Alphof just after New Year. When we arrived we were warmly greeted and that was our experience throughout our stay. All the staff were very friendly and courteous and the staff in the restaurant normally as they were on all day were very attentive and as well friendly and courteous. Hubert who ran the bar was a scream. The food was very good. The breakfast was what you would expect of a combination of hot and cold food. Dinner was four courses and unusually they had a separate vegetarian option which my wife really appreciated. The food was good and tasty.
The real star was afternoon tea. Although hot drinks had to be paid for, the hotel laid on free of charge an absolutely gorgeous spread, of soup, pastries and cakes, fruit, and speciality deserts and cakes. This ran between 3pm-5pm and on we enjoyed the food and really appreciated the effort that was put in.
The hotel had a lovely bar area run by the irrepressible Hubert. The only downside was that the Hotel allowed locals and guests to smoke. This was unpleasant and definitely stopped us from spending more time in the bar which had a lovely stube.
Practices varied from bar to bar in the area as regards smoking, but no-one smoked in the restaurant.
The hotel has a fair size spar with a swimming pool. Very good. Be warned our European neighbours take there spa's very seriously and use them naked and they don't approve of guests being clothed. Not for the faint hearted or prude!
The bedroom was very spacious with a balcony looking onto the mountains, with absolutely beautiful views. The room was cleaned every day (bar Sunday) and towels and dressing robes were supplied for use in the spa. Our room was very warm which did not help my snoring (neither did my intake of alcohol) so we opened a window and turned off the radiator.
For those staying on a package (we were with Crystal) perhaps our experience may assist others as I felt that the feedback form did not allow sufficient detail. First the Crystal rep, Gill was absolutely fantastic. Please support her drive to raise monies for charity, and also support the schnapps tasting night, which inevitably turned into a real session. Whilst I was not a good enough skier to take part in the social skiing this was well received from what I was told.
The hotel is not in the centre of the village. Free shuttle buses run from outside the hotel just before 9 & 10 am and then in the afternoon from around 3.30 back to the hotel. The bus service is an independent service from the free public service provided ( you must have a lift pass). The service running from outside the hotel only runs to the Wiedersbergerhorn Gondola. This is the gondola you will need for ski school. The public bus service provides services to both that gondola and the newer gondola at Inneralpbach, but this service only starts and finishes from the centre of the village opposite the Boglerhof Hotel and dependant on which side of the road you are this will dictate where you go. The public bus service is yellow and the independent bus service is silver/white

The first morning is very hectic and we did not appreciate this fact and we ended up inadvertently at the wrong gondola which caused problems for a couple of days until we got a bearings. We have never skied in Austria or where in resort there was more than one gondola, so we got caught out. A degree of organisation is required if you don't want to ski all day and a knowledge of the timetable and where the buses drop off is essential, if you don't want to trudge up the hill with your boots and skis. We were fortunate to meet a very nice and sociable group of people in the hotel and it was a pleasure to meet all of them.
Crystal offer morning only ski lessons. This was quite attractive to us as we wanted to combine our trip doing other things. Initially I did not book group ski lessons as this option was for intermediate skiers. I actually confirmed via Crystal in resort whether we could do this when they contacted me, and they spoke to the management of the ski school who confirmed that this was not a problem and I booked for four mornings only. We therefore expected to be in a morning only class. We were not. This caused problems with the ski instructors as it upset the balance of the class and its progress, and my relationship with the instructor and any progress suffered, so much that we had to book a further full day and a new instructor was brought in. I think that Crystal and their ski school need to look at this as it is advertised as being available. I checked beforehand as I was going to book the other ski school online given the options they provided but once assured I booked the packages with Crystal. If you are a lower intermediate then the ski school will expect you to have morning and afternoon sessions. I don't disagree with what was expected, and I am not a very good skier, but I booked in good faith, I paid my money, and I was also on holiday, something that seems to be forgotten.
The tourist board provide a number of free activities one of which was walking with snow shoes. Places are limited so you do need to book. We were taken to the middle station of the new Schatzberg Gondola, by our guide, and then we walked up the mountain to the top beingnled by our guide. It was probably the most physically demanding thing that I have done in many years, but the the views were unbelievable and the sense of achievement very real.
The Hotel is inevitably caught up in the package and the whole experience. The hotel was lovely and we would definitely return, though probably just a little wiser!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Stuart J
Maubec, France
Reviewed January 8, 2013

For this year's skiing holiday I booked rooms in Alphof. Since the family lives in different countries we were not arriving at the same time. My daughter, husband and grandson only arrived on January 1 and not the saturday before. I had inspected their room and found everything in order and since I was suffering of a serious cough infection which kept me and my wife up all night I decided in the evening to sleep in the room next door: my daughters room, all paid up in advance. When I wanted to enter the room some people came OUT of the room .. much to my (and theirs) surprise.. Apparently the hotel had decided to rent the room out - without telling me. I decided to wait and see if the management would come forward and ask me - but nothing happened. The next evening the room was rented out again to another couple and I decided to have a word with Anton, the manager / owner. He confirmed that he had rented the room out and proposed a "compensation". When I informed him that business practice would be to reimburse me completely he looked a bit shocked - but saw my point after a while.. He looked very disappointed and nothing was offered to reinstate the good relation we had before.

The meals are fine except for an elastic band we found in my grandson's spaghetti much to the embarrassment of the kitchen.. One thing we could not figure out why there was noone from the staff to watch over the spa. Kids are prohibited to enter and run the sauna area but since most kids cannot read a note that is scotched to the door way above their heads they will enter, scream, play and run through the area like it is kindergarten. And I never thought it possible that the small hamman could contain: two children, four adults and one wheelchair..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PaulMontjustin
Torpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute for Christmas holidays as we had been to Alpbach before and knew it was a very prety village with good skiing for both beginners and intermediates and we needed a break! From out arrival the hotel staff were absolutely fantastic and could not have made us more welcome, nothing was too much trouble. We had a large family room with a double bed and 2 sofa beds and it was and spotlessly clean. Throughout our stay we were very impressed with the hotel staff and how helpful they were. Breakfast was the normal buffet style breakfast with both hot and cold options. The hotel laid on fantastic gala dinners for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, other nights the 4 course Austrian menu was more than adequate although some might find the Austrian food a little "heavy" - but this is just a fact of eating local food! The kids loved the swimiing pool and we were able to use the sauna and steam room which were a great bonus at the end of the skiiing day. All in all we would love to come back here over our normal self catering option as the half board represented such good value and the hotel staff so welcoming. If you get the opportunity then take it, a very relaxing option for a great winter holiday skiiing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Matthew R
Guildford
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked this hotel almost last minute for Christmas as we had friends staying nearby. When booking they were very helpful indeed and from the minute we arrived the staff were warm, friendly and very welcoming. We arranged the airport transfer with them also and their driver was waiting for us with the minibus at the airport. Only 50 minutes from Innsbruck and we were there.

The hotel manager was very helpful and had a warm, friendly personality. Nothing was too much trouble and he even drove the minibus to the ski hire shop to collect all our skis, boots, snowboards etc for the six of us. He also drove us to the lift one morning when we missed the ski bus.

The bar man was great fun. He was extremely friendly and attentive and was very keen to mix cocktails and chat. The bar area was warm and relaxed with a large open fire and quite frankly we prefered our time there than when we went out to the local bars for apre ski.

The food was good, not great but certainly good. On Christmas eve they laid on a six course meal which was great. The was certainly no shortage of food and we ate in every evening as we had six of us on half board. Breakfast was what you'd normally expect. Fruit, cereals, eggs, bacon etc.

The room was very comfortable and quiet, even with the window open at night. We had a lovely balcony with good views. The spa are was also good with sauna and steam room and a smallish pool.

As I said the staff were all very helpful. We had a waiter who we referred to amongst ourselves as Manuel, because he reminded us of the character in Faulty Towers. He certainly made mealtimes more interesting. The kids thought he was great.

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea because it's not upmarket at all, but it is really lovely and we'd definitely go back. Just be aware that wherever you stay in Alpbach you need to take a bus to the main lifts. It's not a big deal but you need to time your day around the bus times. it's a lovely resort for a family holiday and this hotel is certainly worthy of serious consideration.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view towards the town rather than over the main road at the front. But the ro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpbach
Romantikhotel Boglerhof
#1 of 6 in Reith im Alpbachtal
Haus Sonnwend
Haus Sonnwend
#3 of 46 in Alpbach

Been to Hotel Alphof? Share your experiences!