“Amazing Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 62 Zell am See B&B and Inns
Athens, Attiki, Greece
“Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Cozy hotel, with beautiful spacey rooms, nice heat and so close to the Lifts. We loved it. Food was really nice and everyone liked it. Especially the breaksfast! The Owners were polite and always willing to help you in everything you need! We Look Forward to get back in Steinerwirt!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Had the opportunity of a quick weekend ski holiday in Zell am See. Found the Steinerwirt was available and had some relatively cheap single rooms, so having realised the hotel was very well located, went ahead and booked.

The room was on the small side, but fine for a couple of nights and in all reality I was only in there to sleep & grab a shower (which incidentally had good water pressure)

Pillows were comfy - this is something that Austrian hotels often seem to get badly wrong in my book!

Breakfast was OK for a couple of days, but I'd struggle if this was for a week. The selection just seemed a bit limited - and they took ages to come with the coffee!

The layout of the boot room was strange as you had no option but to haul your skis through the lobby of the hotel - something that ski properties normally try to avoid!

They also allow smoking in the bar, so that was a bit of a throwback to the days when that used to be perfectly normal in the UK (but I now find it quite unpleasant.)

Location is brilliant - just a few minutes walk up to the City Xpress gondola, and a few minutes walk the other direction to the nightlife.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking the square gives you a great view of the glacier, too.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank swisstony123
Johannes S, Inhaber at Boutique Hotel Steinerwirt 1493, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thanks for your detailed review which is very valuable to us. We just completed renovating the single rooms yesterday. They now feature a larger bed, a better desk, and they look really good. We will post pictures soon on our website, so stay tuned. With regards to the smoking: The small bar area is the only inside area where smoking is allowed. Compared to many other hotels in Austria, this is already quite a progress. Actually, we have been promoting non-smoking for 10 years now. And we are currently debating whether to make Steinerwirt completely smoke-free. So, when you come back next time, your stay will be even more enjoyable!

Thanks again and kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

My favourite hotel in Austria where the ambience, food and service are superlative. The charismatic owners, Gunda and Johannes have created a quirky stylish boutique hotel that also houses the best restaurant in Zell am Zee.Since my last visit , a wonderful rooftop spa has been added that allows a perfect ending to a day's skiing, or a Summer's day of hiking, cycling or golf.The rooms are unusually spacious and noise free. I was especially impressed by the a la carte restaurant where the wine list, menu choice and service were second to none.Johannes keeps a discrete eye on everything yet is always available for any query or special request. This is a family friendly hotel that also manages to create an adult bohemian atmosphere.I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Joe, thank you very much for recommending us to the Tripadvisor community. May I return the compliment: You and your friends are very nice guests & it was great to have you here! See you again and

Many greetings,
Johannes
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

What a wonderful way to spend Christmas in this charming friendly hotel.

We had eaten at the restaurant before as it's our favourite, but never stayed and we certainly weren't disappointed!. The hot tub on the roof is really rather special, along with the relaxation area, but want makes this hotel so great is the friendly welcoming staff and great service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nicki r
Johannes S, Owner at Boutique Hotel Steinerwirt 1493, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Nicki, Thank you for recommending us to the Tripadvisor community. We are very happy that you enjoyed your first visit to the hotel after being regular guests to our restaurant for so many years. We look forward to seeing you again and send

South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I write this review from the Think Tank room of the Steinerwirt Hotel!I can understand why it is so highly rated and reviewed.From our check in to the present time,our stay has been memorable.I spent a few minutes in the outside jacuzzi then lay in the sauna and now am in the Think Tank room.So peaceful in here.
The entire hotel has this happy feel.Delicious dinners,scrumptious breakfasts,delightful,helpful and friendly staff.Well located as the bus stop and train station are within walking distance of the hotel.Nice cafés,superette and bars all in close proximity.

The rooms are spacious and well maintained.Colourful art on display throughout the hotel.A library and DVD library also on site.
Definitely a family hotel!
I would have liked gowns and slippers in my room to complete this wonderful experience.No sugar,milk or coffee in the rooms,just a variety of teas.
WI-fi and Internet access in our room was included in the package.Ski passes and bus pass were also included.
Dinner is either 3/4 courses.Good portions,The wines on the wines list can be more affordable than the recommended wines.Large selection of drinks and wine.Tea/coffee is not included in the dinner rate.

We were in Room 102 and it was spacious and pretty quite most of the time.The traffic noises can be a problem when the windows are open.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road will be quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Johannes S, Owner at Boutique Hotel Steinerwirt 1493, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you very much for recommending us to the Tripadvisor community. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your review was very thoughtful and we will try to incorporate some of your suggestions in the future. So, please come back and see what is new in the future! I wish you a very happy New Year and send

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

good hotel nice and clean on the main road, few minter walk from the lake the shopping area near to the hotel there is free parking many restorent in the same area free wifi the suite was large it's good for family as will>

Room Tip: suite is large and nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abdulla-Khalfan
Thank you very much for recommending us to the Tripadvisor community and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I wish you a very happy New Year and send

Dinan, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I am giving this hotel the full 5 stars because I was bowled over by how far they went to make our stay great, even though we were only there for one night. And because after so many traditional Alpine hotels it was so refreshing finally to find a stylish modern art hotel that didn't cost the earth. The only proviso though was that the restaurant was a bit hit and miss - but more on that later.

For the hotel itself, I could not praise it more. I had emailed the hotel at the time of reservation and mentioned that this one night was a special treat for my husband for his birthday and to reserve a table in the restaurant. They immediately emailed back to ask if there was any special meal I'd like prepared for him, which I thought was particularly thoughtful. On our arrival at the hotel we were told that our room had been upgraded from standard to junior suite at no extra charge. They didn't say why, but I can only imagine this was a gesture for his birthday. So instead of a perfectly adequate and good standard room, we got a massive room with additional side room, Wegner-style armchair and sofa. The next morning the weather was beautiful, and as the previous 3 days had not been great and we faced a long drive up through Germany in the afternoon, we thought we'd make the most of the morning and use the free local tourist card also provided to take a boat trip on the lake. As the earliest trip was at 11am, check-out time, we asked if it would be possible to keep the room until we returned from the boat trip at around 12. Again this was no problem for them, and indeed we didn't actually get back until after 12, but our apologies were waved away, nothing was too much trouble for them. I should also add that the beds were among the most comfortable hotel beds we've ever had.

So to the food. I have stayed in many hotels in Germany and Austria, and breakfast is almost always good and generous even in the smallest pensions. On this trip of 10 days, staying in several places, this was far and away the best breakfast we had. Of course there were all the usual things - good fresh breads and rolls, cold meats, cheeses, jams. But little touches like herbs in the scrambled eggs and pre-soaked Bircher muesli really made this an exceptionally good buffet breakfast. Some extra thought had gone into it, and was welcomed.

For the restaurant, our experience was a bit disappointing, although not enough to make me mark the hotel down. You might just want to clarify exactly what is in the dish before you order as it might not be what you expect! Few of the dishes are served with vegetables, and in Austria it's normal to just order a side salad. But my husband doesn't eat salad so when they had emailed me to ask about preparing a special meal for him, I'd told them it wasn't necessary but he would like some vegetables instead of salad. This would be no problem they said. However, when we ordered a side dish of mixed veg, what we got was a rather odd mixture of cubed carrots, turnip and celery which had barely been cooked! Very odd and not really edible. Also, my husband had ordered the most expensive item on the menu - an entrecote steak served with a groestl of potatoes and ceps. Sounded lovely. Except that what he got was not a groestl (which is an Austrian hash of chopped cooked potatoes, onions and usually bacon and/or leftover roast meat) but a few seemingly reheated roast potatoes and separate ceps which had been fried with LOTS of spring onions, a very different flavour to a normal onion. Unfortunately this had the effect of ruining the lovely wild mushrooms, making them taste more like a Chinese stir-fry. The steak meanwhile, although tasty, was very rare instead of the ordered medium-rare and rather tough. As this had been a treat for him, it was a bit of a let-down that his meal was so poor. I however could not fault my meal of ragout of venison with creamy chanterelles and pumpkin gnocchi, it was delicious. So, one very good meal, one very disappointing meal.

However, this is not a complaint but rather some constructive comments which we hope will be useful to the hotel should they read this. I can't mark them down for this as although we complained about the vegetables, our waitress remained charming throughout and we were given the 2 hazelnut schnapps we'd ordered with our dessert on the house.

So, despite our hit-and-miss meal, we enjoyed our all too short stay at the Steinerwirt very much and when we next visit Austria we will definitely stay here again, no question about that. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for recommending us to the Tripadvisor community. Usually, I do my best to promptly send my thanks for our online reviewers. My sincere apologies, that this was not the case with you!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your review was very thoughtful and I thank you also for pointing out what did not go so well. Rest assured that we will do our best to incorporate at least some of your suggestions in the future. So, please come back and see what is new in the future! I wish you a very happy New Year and send